Transfer NCAA titleists

56 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Did he graduate from Lassen? In that case I would not consider it a transfer

I do not believe he did even with an associates.  He was only there for two years.

Another transfer NCAA champ from his high school - Tony Davis.

57 minutes ago, Jim L said:

My cousin went to Drexel Hill Community College for two years, getting a 4.0 while he was there and paying minimal tuition and living at home.  He then transferred to Temple for the final two years - and he has a Temple degree - even though he only needed to be there and pay that level of tuition for two years.  It was a pretty crafty plan even if not the "sexiest" as perceived by peers and the neighborhood parents

• Bob 1

He was enrolled at a two-year post-secondary institution. He then transferred to a four-year post-secondary institution. That description by every definition is a transfer.

“Juco transfer” is the often cited parlance.

• Bob 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

10 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Here is an even rarer one, who already won a title and then transferred?

Chuck Jean won 2 titles for Iowa St then finished at Adams St in NAIA.

Steve Mocco won at Iowa the OK St

How about Kevin Randleman (RIP)?  He lost in the final as a freshman, won as a sophomore, won as a junior, then flunked out of Ohio State and transferred to Lindenwood.

Another Sandusky native Charlie Jones won an NCAA title representing Purdue in 1992 at the age of 28.  He had formerly served in the Air Force before attending Olivet-Nazarene for two years and eventually transferring too Purdue.

11 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

He was enrolled at a two-year post-secondary institution. He then transferred to a four-year post-secondary institution. That description by every definition is a transfer.

“Juco transfer” is the often cited parlance.

Just to keep diverging off topic for Wkn's sake, I know of a bunch of kids who transferred from a 4 year high school to a 4 year college and won a D1 NCAA swimming championship.  

Just to keep diverging off topic for Wkn's sake, I know of a bunch of kids who transferred from a 4 year high school to a 4 year college and won a D1 NCAA swimming championship.  

Not an apples to apples comparison, although to your earlier point, a friend commented on FB about Cornell’s guys who went the TC3 route … are THEY transfers? Were they full time then came to Cornell? That I don’t know.

Adds another wrinkle to the semantical discussion.

2 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Not an apples to apples comparison, although to your earlier point, a friend commented on FB about Cornell’s guys who went the TC3 route … are THEY transfers? Were they full time then came to Cornell? That I don’t know.

There are many universities that now have a program of go to 2 year junior college meet requirements and auto accepted into 4 year program.  A top university I was at had such even for their top 10 engineering degrees.  For the kid a four year degree from the U at the cost of 2 years.  It was call their Pathway Program.  

Maybe Wkn will change the title to Pathway to NCAA Titleist🙂

Paul Keysaw Bloomsburg->Bakersfield

John Azevedo OSU->Bakersfield

Dan Cuestas Cal Poly->Bakersfield

Adam Cuestas Oregon->Bakersfield

Clar Anderson Auburn->OSU

Scott Lynch Navy->PSU

David Lee Stanford->Wisconsin

A few of the Bakersfield guys have been mentioned already.  I thought it was interesting how many transfer champions they had. Is 4 the most? All the PSU fans missed Lynch. 

Does anyone know if Kelvin Jackson transferred to MSU?

17 hours ago, 11986 said:

Story in my vague recall - Cuvo was headed to NCSt to wrestle for another Easton PA guy Bob Guzzo. But he never stepped foot on campus, at some point changed his mind to wrestle closer to home. 

Cuvo was in Raleigh for a short time: https://www.mcall.com/1985/09/12/eastons-jack-cuvo-enrolls-at-esu/ 

I vaguely remember hearing (or reading on the old District XI forum) that Cuvo was mugged his first week on campus and decided to go back to PA. 

Guzzo recruited Cuvo on a wrestling scholarship earlier this year, but Cuvo left N.C. State recently after several days of freshman orientation, reportedly generally unhappy at the Raleigh campus and expressing a wish to be closer to home so his family could watch him compete.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

There are many universities that now have a program of go to 2 year junior college meet requirements and auto accepted into 4 year program.  A top university I was at had such even for their top 10 engineering degrees.  For the kid a four year degree from the U at the cost of 2 years.  It was call their Pathway Program.  

Maybe Wkn will change the title to Pathway to NCAA Titleist🙂

I don't think anyone is going with you on this.  I could kind of see your point if he went to a 2 year school in the same system and then transferred.  An example might be if he went to Penn State-Brandywine for a year and then transferred to main campus in University Park.  If you said that's not a real transfer, then I would probably still say it's a transfer, but I would see your point.  Williams wrestled for a junior college in California.  This was not an affiliate of Iowa.  It was not even a community college in the same state.  He was a full time student and represented them on the wrestling mat.

13 hours ago, Jim L said:

So would graduate transfers not count now too? 

This isn't hard. 

Guy starts at one school, ends up at another = transfer. 

• Bob 1

50 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Paul Keysaw Bloomsburg->Bakersfield

John Azevedo OSU->Bakersfield

Dan Cuestas Cal Poly->Bakersfield

Adam Cuestas Oregon->Bakersfield

Clar Anderson Auburn->OSU

Scott Lynch Navy->PSU

David Lee Stanford->Wisconsin

A few of the Bakersfield guys have been mentioned already.  I thought it was interesting how many transfer champions they had. Is 4 the most? All the PSU fans missed Lynch. 

at least 5 for Bakersfield. I mentioned Joe Gonzales earlier, wrestled for Oklahoma before ending up at Bakersfield.  

13 hours ago, fishbane said:

I do not believe he did even with an associates.  He was only there for two years.

So did he take his rs there?  Why didn't he graduate?

1 minute ago, ionel said:

So did he take his rs there?  Why didn't he graduate?

He was there for 1 year was a full time student and used 1 year of competition.  He then transferred to Iowa where he redshirted his first season.

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

I tried to find info on that yesterday, I have vague recall that he was a transfer but can't find anything to verify. 

19 minutes ago, 11986 said:

I tried to find info on that yesterday, I have vague recall that he was a transfer but can't find anything to verify. 

Probably. He was class of 91 in HS per Indianamat and MSU lists him as 93-95 on their roster.

• Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

For wrestling/athletics, I’d say no, and I assume they are not full time students and thus I don’t believe their eligibility clock starts. I’d say starting the eligibility clock somewhere else should be the requirement for being considered a transfer.  But for example someone saying a guy that actually wrestled at a junior college “doesn’t count” is silly.

Edited by 1032004

45 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

For wrestling/athletics, I’d say no, and I assume they are not full time students and thus I don’t believe their eligibility clock starts. I’d say starting the eligibility clock somewhere else should be the requirement for being considered a transfer.  But for example someone saying a guy that actually wrestled at a junior college “doesn’t count” is silly.

This could be a standard that has evolved over time.  It was mentioned earlier that Wade Schalles was a transfer.  If I recall correctly that was because he took summer classes somewhere (ESU?) for a week before going to Clarion that cost him a trip to NCAAs, but not a year of competition somehow.  Now it is not uncommon for wrestlers to grey shirt for a year at an RTC or the OTC. Simultaneously, they might take part time classes to make progress academically whilst avoiding starting the NCAA eligibility clock.  They might get transfer credit for the courses that they took, but aren't usually considered a transfer student because they were never a full time student and never matriculated.

So we might say Schalles is a transfer and lost 1 NCAA tournament, but maybe a future Cornell wrestler moved to Ithaca in June and took classes part time at TC3 before matriculating at Cornell in and fall and he is not a transfer.  Since Schalles was allegedly there for only a week I can't imagine he received any transfer credit at Clarion for whatever coursework he took. I suppose today a wrestler could grey shirt and take classes in the Summer, Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters at TC3 and end up with a year of transfer credit before finally attending Cornell in the Fall and not be a transfer.  But I dunno the full details maybe Schalles registered for a full coarse load and then withdrew after a week which would be a problem today.

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

So would graduate transfers not count now too? 

This isn't hard. 

Guy starts at one school, ends up at another = transfer. 

I think going to a different school for graduate school is only considered a transfer because of athletics.  If a non-athlete got a bachelors degree at one institution and then went to grad school/law school/med school at a different institution it is not a transfer.  I have never heard anyone refer to that as a transfer for a non-athlete.  Academically it isn't a transfer.  

It's different going from a 2 year school to a 4 year school because that is still an academic transfer - the student gets transfer credit and doesn't have to take as many classes.

I think going to a different school for graduate school is only considered a transfer because of athletics.  If a non-athlete got a bachelors degree at one institution and then went to grad school/law school/med school at a different institution it is not a transfer.  I have never heard anyone refer to that as a transfer for a non-athlete.  Academically it isn't a transfer.  

It's different going from a 2 year school to a 4 year school because that is still an academic transfer - the student gets transfer credit and doesn't have to take as many classes.

At its very basic - we're talking about a college sport here. The OP is about wrestlers who won titles as transfers. So "transferring" in the sense of athletics seems to be the basic framework we're working with on the discussion.