Univ. at Buffalo parts ways with Stutzman

By the looks of the press release, UB has let go of John Stutzman...

Who should they bring in for the new coach? With programs like Little Rock punching in 2 all Americans for the short amount of time they've been a program it's not all surprising a school like UB would reconsider who their coach is... 

Considering the location geographically, they could draw mid tier recruits from PA/NY/OH/NJ and field a decent team, they just haven't been all that good at recruiting in my opinion. Would love to see them bring in someone young with at least a little bit of pedigree to jumpstart the program. 

what do you guys think? 

I've watched every televised Buffalo dual over the last two years.  He seems to be a very passionate coach with good results from limited resources.  I view them as a team in a similar situation to Binghamton, but the Bearcats have been more impressive than the Bulls by a reasonable margin.  Buffalo should aim to outperform teams like Binghamton as an appropriate benchmark.  

• Bob 1

Not the best facilities, but the location and proximity to both New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania is an asset. AD likes splashy hires, so watch for high major assistants to line up.

Interesting that another FT position in the SUNY system is currently open down the road at DIII Brockport. He might not even have to move!  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Why are we not speculating on who they will hire yet?

I saw that Stutzman made $90k-$95k. How does that compare to the pay of top notch D1 assistant coaches out there who might want to apply for the job?

For reference, and I only know this because I am a Buckeye fan, I know the assistants make $100k+

Pipe Dream...

Burroughs falls short at Olympic trials and hangs up his shoes... his wife being from Buffalo finally wants to move back near family after helping Jordan chase his dream all these years. He agrees to take the Buffalo coaching job and turns Buffalo into a new epicenter of wrestling in the northeast ready to compete with the big dogs!

• Brain 1
  • Ionel 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I've watched every televised Buffalo dual over the last two years.  He seems to be a very passionate coach with good results from limited resources.  I view them as a team in a similar situation to Binghamton, but the Bearcats have been more impressive than the Bulls by a reasonable margin.  Buffalo should aim to outperform teams like Binghamton as an appropriate benchmark.  

100% agree... I'm not going to bag on Stutzman because he did have some great years by their standards but for them to not sniff an all American in 11 years is kind of rough. Would love to see them at least 2nd behind Cornell in the state vs having Columbia, Long Island and the Binghamton outperforming them. 

• Bob 2

It seemed like a slam dunk hire a the time given Stutzman is an alum and was doing great work at Bloomsburg with very limited resources.  Not entirely sure why it didn't work out but it was pretty clear the program wasn't breaking through.  They'll probably have to invest more into coaching salaries (assuming the 90-95K is true) if they want to get any big name assistants. 

The best move a program like them would be to run it how Mark Cody did at American. Invest a lot of resources into a few top 50 recruits who can and will AA, try and score guys in the portal from Ohio St, Penn St and so on and even bring in guys from D2.

what I am saying is hire MARK CODY

Edited by Lunaticfringe
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

The best move a program like them would be to run it how Mark Cody did at American. Invest a lot of resources into a few top 50 recruits who can and will AA, try and score guys in the portal from Ohio St, Penn St and so on and even bring in guys from D2.

Easy to say but hard to execute.  Cody himself was unable to duplicate it.  I think his 5th place finish at American was better than he managed at OU.

• Bob 1

11 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Not entirely sure I agree with you there. Nice guy but not sure the 'style' would translate to anywhere with any sort of expectation for success. AU had little to no expectation with regards to success. GPA was a higher priority than dubs. That some talent was brought in and some success was had offered a springboard to the big pond in OK. For which the approach smoldered to nothing. Let Mark stay at PU to keep that program afloat for now. 

On 3/28/2024 at 11:15 PM, fishbane said:

Easy to say but hard to execute.  Cody himself was unable to duplicate it.  I think his 5th place finish at American was better than he managed at OU.

Oh but he spent a lot of money while at OU! 

Oklahoma has been amazing since Cody left.  I'll never understand the vitriol.  They hired him to clean up their program, he does that, punches through multiple AA's and NC, and he still the "worst" on this board.  

Regardless, when Buffalo parted ways with Beichner Buffalo consistently had guys ranked in the top 20 and competing for AA.  Since Stutzman's hire, they have slowly taken a downturn.  9 guys in the portal last year, all underclassmen.  Enough said.  Binghamton almost shut them out this year.

While I agree he was a great hire on paper coming from Bloomsburg where he was making some noise, he hasn't really done enough to warrant locking him in for another contract.  Buffalo can do better with the right hire.