2024-2025 Lineups

VAtoSC

22 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

When was the last time, outside of gable, that a true freshman heavyweight was a significant point scorer at NCAA’s year one? Honest question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly not sure but if someone were to do it I think it could be Merrill he outscored his opponents 67-0 at Fargo including a 10-0 win over mirasola in the finals albeit that was at 220. He wrestled his high school season at heavyweight this year although his state finals run was not as dominant so perhaps the weight could be an issue for him especially as a true frosh.

1 hour ago, poorwrestler said:

When was the last time, outside of gable, that a true freshman heavyweight was a significant point scorer at NCAA’s year one? Honest question

Mocco was a finalist his true freshman year.

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He turned 20 2 months before ncaas 

Exactly, not exactly a "true freshman" ... well maybe academically but not wrestling.

more of a 2025-2026 lineups post, but for the PSU fans not sure if any of you watched NHSCA's but PJ duke looked absolutely unreal was really hoping he was going to NC state or Cornell but you guys should be pumped about him.

3 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

more of a 2025-2026 lineups post, but for the PSU fans not sure if any of you watched NHSCA's but PJ duke looked absolutely unreal was really hoping he was going to NC state or Cornell but you guys should be pumped about him.

He's one of the many kids at 157-184 that will be entering the lineup over the next couple years that make it really hard to predict who will go what weight, and who will start.

I think next year is relatively "known", aside from maybe BB and Kerkvliet. 

But the log jam at those middle-upper weights starting in the 2025-2026 season is going to be wild.

I've been a little disappointed in the offensive development of both of the Davison, MI guys. While I think both Facundo and Barr will start this year at 174 and 184, respectively, they also both need to improve dramatically in terms of set ups and finishing. 

Edited by Le duke
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

He's one of the many kids at 157-184 that will be entering the lineup over the next couple years that make it really hard to predict who will go what weight, and who will start.

I think next year is relatively "known", aside from maybe BB and Kerkvliet. 

But the log jam at those middle-upper weights starting in the 2025-2026 season is going to be wild.

I've been a little disappointed in the offensive development of both of the Davison, MI guys. While I think both Facundo and Barr will start this year at 174 and 184, respectively, they also both need to improve dramatically in terms of set ups and finishing. 

I, unfortunately, agree with you entirely here.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 hours ago, ionel said:

Exactly, not exactly a "true freshman" ... well maybe academically but not wrestling.

True Freshman in every sense.  There is no such thing as a wrestling "true freshman".

Should we make NCAA wrestling an "age level" competition so we can stop judging the appropriate age everyone must be to compete? 

6 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

True Freshman in every sense.  There is no such thing as a wrestling "true freshman".

Should we make NCAA wrestling an "age level" competition so we can stop judging the appropriate age everyone must be to compete? 

spacer.png

• Haha 5

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

spacer.png

Then we probably should't be asking "true" freshman questions cause maybe there isn't such a thing its just various shades of grey.  

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Then we probably should't be asking "true" freshman questions cause maybe there isn't such a thing its just various shades of grey.  

This is why I love the Spencer Moore story.  He started for North Carolina when he was 17 years old!  He finished high school early because of covid restrictions.

Edited by flyingcement

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

If people are okay with 20 year old true freshman, then they have to be okay with  26 year old finalists. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 3/25/2024 at 3:34 PM, MPhillips said:

125 - McCrone/Kilkeary
133 - Bouzakis
141 - Mendez
149 - D'Emilio
157 -Gallagher/Wilcox
165 - Hepner
174 - Welsh/Kharchla
184 - Rogotzke/Shumate
197 - Geog
285 - Feldman

Agree. I think 25 is Kilkeary, 74 will be Kharchla and Welsh redshirts, Rogotzke at 84 (much better than Shumate, don’t know if Shumate looks to transfer then), will Sasso be ready? If so does he look to go 49 or 57?

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Kov88 said:

Agree. I think 25 is Kilkeary, 74 will be Kharchla and Welsh redshirts, Rogotzke at 84 (much better than Shumate, don’t know if Shumate looks to transfer then), will Sasso be ready? If so does he look to go 49 or 57?

McCrone gave a good account of himself this season. I believe It's Kilkeary's spot to lose. Worried about Bouzakis' weight cut. Same with Mendez. I imagine he'll head up to 65kg after D'Emilio leaves. Gallagher at 157. Hepner at 165, but he needs some work. Not sure if we see Kharchla? I've heard things that make me question if he'll be back. Welsh, Rogotzke, Geog and Feldman. I believe if Shumate wants to wrestle he may have to transfer. I don't believe we see Sasso again.

🚍

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

6 hours ago, MPhillips said:

McCrone gave a good account of himself this season. I believe It's Kilkeary's spot to lose. Worried about Bouzakis' weight cut. Same with Mendez. I imagine he'll head up to 65kg after D'Emilio leaves. Gallagher at 157. Hepner at 165, but he needs some work. Not sure if we see Kharchla? I've heard things that make me question if he'll be back. Welsh, Rogotzke, Geog and Feldman. I believe if Shumate wants to wrestle he may have to transfer. I don't believe we see Sasso again.

🚍

I'm very bullish on McCrone in all honesty. I think if you compare his year with Kilkeary it was quite a bit better, and he's improved immensely since being at Ohio state. My hopes are they can get Davino skinny but without jeopardizing his wrestling. Having watched Vinnie a ton in high school I feel like his development got a bit stagnant but I'm sure working with jaggers will help with that. I think they put out a guy that can push to potentially AA no matter what.

I'm very bullish on McCrone in all honesty. I think if you compare his year with Kilkeary it was quite a bit better, and he's improved immensely since being at Ohio state. My hopes are they can get Davino skinny but without jeopardizing his wrestling. Having watched Vinnie a ton in high school I feel like his development got a bit stagnant but I'm sure working with jaggers will help with that. I think they put out a guy that can push to potentially AA no matter what.

If Ben Davino can make 125 and be healthy doing so, he will win multiple titles. I feel confident in that.

Especially if Luke Lilledahl is at 133.

21 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I, unfortunately, agree with you entirely here.

If Facundo and Barr end up being AAs this year, great. But, neither of them are pinners or have any kind of real top game. And they don't have incredible offense. 

I think that their time in the PSU lineup is going to be limited. Ryder, Henckel and maybe Sealey and Cunningham could all grow into 174/184 options. Cunningham is going to be the strongest kid at any weight class he enters. He's a late bloomer and won't be taking any of the team's 9.9.

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

If Facundo and Barr end up being AAs this year, great. But, neither of them are pinners or have any kind of real top game. And they don't have incredible offense. 

I think that their time in the PSU lineup is going to be limited. Ryder, Henckel and maybe Sealey and Cunningham could all grow into 174/184 options. Cunningham is going to be the strongest kid at any weight class he enters. He's a late bloomer and won't be taking any of the team's 9.9.

Cunningham's jump in level this past year was quite remarkable. I have very high expectations for him in college. He mentioned in an interview he plans to go 172 or 189 during his high school season so I'm guessing 184 is in his future. If his ability on top translates to the next level he's going to score a lot of points.

8 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

If Ben Davino can make 125 and be healthy doing so, he will win multiple titles. I feel confident in that.

Especially if Luke Lilledahl is at 133.

I agree completely he's talked about a bit less than some of the other stars around his weight, but he has multiple wins over Knox, Forrest and a win over blaze after blaze beat Ramos.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

What exactly makes Cunningham the strongest kid at any weight class he enters?

• Fire 1

I don’t understand that statement either. I don’t even see Cunningham ever starting there. Maybe in spots like Barraclaugh. He’s good, but not on the level of some of the others they’ve brought in.

15 minutes ago, Gus said:

It's kind of a running joke; DT and Cael refer to Casey as the strongest man in the world. Casey's wife/Asher's mom, Tara, was literally the strongest women in the world. 

That said, Asher appears to have inherited quite a bit of his parent's good genetic material and he is incredibly strong. 

He's also the number two 165 in his graduating class, per Flo, so he's rapidly moving up the ranks.