Obligatory NCAA Championship Matches

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I raise you one Steve Marianetti all-time upset over Lincoln McIlravy

This is probably a stupid question, but have any Illinois wrestlers won any individual titles since Marianetti? 

11 hours ago, strange_daze said:

Just a thread to share some memorable NCAA tournament matches/moments.

One that always comes to mind for me at this time of year: Mcllravy v. Abas (1993):

Many many others—add one if you feel like it.

What stood out to me was all of the coaches and assistants and all of the male support people ALL wore suits & ties, i.e., they dressed formally.   As opposed to how people dress casually even slovenly today.

17 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

This is probably a stupid question, but have any Illinois wrestlers won any individual titles since Marianetti? 

8 Illini wrestlers won 10 titles after Marianetti, including one the same year in the next weight up (though I do not know the bout order that year).

image.png.0547959518ce699e6bde953d435f1bc8.png

• Fire 2

17 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

8 Illini wrestlers won 10 titles after Marianetti, including one the same year in the next weight up (though I do not know the bout order that year).

image.png.0547959518ce699e6bde953d435f1bc8.png

Wow, pretty impressive! Thanks!

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

What stood out to me was all of the coaches and assistants and all of the male support people ALL wore suits & ties, i.e., they dressed formally.   As opposed to how people dress casually even slovenly today.

I wouldn't care if my team's coach wore nothing but a smile if he made the team as good as PSU. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

A couple two-tree

i am an idiot on the internet

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

next weight up (though I do not know the bout order that year).

They went in standard order back then, lite to hwt. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

This to me, is the most entertaining/amazing match I've ever seen in the finals.  It was my 4th year of wrestling, it was only the second year that I watched the finals on TV, absolutely blew my mind.

Followed closely by this one, having been a very mediocre member of team NJ with caldwell in high school, it was amazing to see how much he just kept improving.  I still wish he hadn't gone rollerblading that day.  He was nowhere near his peak when he won this title.  He was really starting to tear it up in freestyle too. 

20 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Followed closely by this one, having been a very mediocre member of team NJ with caldwell in high school, it was amazing to see how much he just kept improving.  I still wish he hadn't gone rollerblading that day.  He was nowhere near his peak when he won this title.  He was really starting to tear it up in freestyle too. 

Apparently @wrestle87 and I know each other. One year going to Fargo- Darrion ended up with a double style plane ticket that we couldn't change. He had never wrestled Greco as far as we knew. They taught him the rules on the plane. Of course, he placed.

Also, as you can tell from my profile pic I play some frisbee and would throw during warmups. DC would out do me doing gymnastic type warmups.

• Bob 1

Great thread!  Thanks Strange!

Enjoyed them all so far with the exception of the Metcalf loss.  Hat's off to Caldwell but I lost the pool to my brother over that match.

Edited by Curt Foley
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Apparently @wrestle87 and I know each other. One year going to Fargo- Darrion ended up with a double style plane ticket that we couldn't change. He had never wrestled Greco as far as we knew. They taught him the rules on the plane. Of course, he placed.

Also, as you can tell from my profile pic I play some frisbee and would throw during warmups. DC would out do me doing gymnastic type warmups.

It has been a while, but I do remember a great number of frisbees at those camps.

I think the single most memorable thing from those Fargo prep camps was 1) that was the first 1 hour grind match I had ever done, and 2) one summer out at Blair, I think it was '04, we all did tumbling warmups for whichever practice it was, and while we did roundoffs, Darrion did the highest backflip I've ever seen a human being do.  It was like the pivot point was his head, which is at just about 6 feet tall, maybe a little shorter, and the rest of his body just seemed to rotate around it.  

That was the first time I saw another human being do something so impressive that it just made me laugh and say "pfff, dude what the hell."

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Remember Cael & Cody wearing their funeral director suits earlier in their coaching careers. Sunday Mormon go to meet'n clothes.

-----------------

At that, dressing better as coaches does look more professional.

-----------------

On matches.

Poor Ed Banach. Hyped big time as a 4 timer before he has Three.

Edited by AgaveMaria

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

47 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Remember Cael & Cody wearing their funeral director suits earlier in their coaching careers. Sunday Mormon go to meet'n clothes.

It seems they forgot their black name tags.

image.thumb.png.2a3311481d9907b52891c08e5b03a410.png

image.png.edae044db51c2d8a36e02c3682d764f0.png

Edited by lu_alum
  • Haha 2