Spencer and Austin review

Flo's newest doc is out and while i was intrigued at first it felt like it was just an hour of flo and iowa trying to convince us that Austin is a good person just "misunderstood" and "passionate" and that his slip ups are few and far in between and because of this its a non issue. 

Also, suprised they didnt address the 2023 season AT ALL (with the exception of saying that when Spencer lost Austin was with him in his room). I feel like there was a lot of things they could've covered but didn't and just pushed the doc out to make Austin look good. 

Just my opinion. 

• Bob 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I mean he has autism.  Cut him a break.

I've only ever seen people say he must have autism but nobody has ever confirmed it.

Regardless, just bc someone is autistic doesn't mean they get a pass for being dirty. 

37 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Also, suprised they didnt address the 2023 season AT ALL (with the exception of saying that when Spencer lost Austin was with him in his room). I feel like there was a lot of things they could've covered but didn't

Agree.  One of the most fascinating parts of their journey as teammates just completely glossed over.  The documentary should've been a 2 or maybe even 3 part mini series

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Call me crazy, but I thought Spencer came off as a complainer and a whiner. Multiple times he complained about how if he doesn't tech someone, people lose their minds. I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for you for being extremely dominant to the point people think something is wrong if you look 'off'. He also had a nice rant complaining about how COVID altered his life because he 'probably would have been a 4-time NCAA champ' and it ended his hopes of an olympic run. You weren't a 4-time champ because you lost, not because COVID.

Edited by Winners Circle
  • Bob 1

36 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Call me crazy, but I thought Spencer came off as a complainer and a whiner. Multiple times he complained about how if he doesn't tech someone, people lose their minds. I'm sorry but I don't feel bad for you for being extremely dominant to the point people think something is wrong if you look 'off'. He also had a nice rant complaining about how COVID altered his life because he 'probably would have been a 4-time NCAA champ' and it ended his hopes of an olympic run. You weren't a 4-time champ because you lost, not because COVID.

I took it more of him expressing about how he's been under a microscope since he was in elementary school with this expectation that he had to be the most dominant wrestler ever. Coupling that with his injuries but still the general perception remaining the same I'm sure it gets very frustrating. 

1 hour ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

I think the documentary speaks to the patience, care and consideration of people like Terry Brands, and Spencer Lee.  Hey, we are all works in progress. DeSanto, does have problems with social communication and interaction.  I wouldn't 'demonize' him for that. 

This.

While DeSanto had problems before, and during his stay at Iowa, by the time he finished up, and now that he is at the HWC, I do not think anyone who is being objective can say he has not made a ton of progress with his impulse control. 

This is the best version of him we have seen and that is a direct result of his engagement with Iowa coaches and teammates.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I took it more of him expressing about how he's been under a microscope since he was in elementary school with this expectation that he had to be the most dominant wrestler ever. Coupling that with his injuries but still the general perception remaining the same I'm sure it gets very frustrating. 

Quit then? It might not be for you if you're going to let what other people think affect you that much.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Quit then? It might not be for you if you're going to let what other people think affect you that much.

I did not get the impression that it still bothers him but I'm sure it would be a lot for any 12–18-year-old. Obviously, it did not bother him enough to make him quit. It seemed like they were trying to illustrate the parallels between the two of them going into their first and second meetings in high school which is why I think he mentioned it.

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

Your post is now whining about him "whining."  He's allowed to describe his life experience and what he feels, you're allowed to criticize it, but you're just doing the thing you're accusing him of doing.

• Bob 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Your post is now whining about him "whining."  He's allowed to describe his life experience and what he feels, you're allowed to criticize it, but you're just doing the thing you're accusing him of doing.

Thank you Dr. Phil.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Jimmy has a gambling problem, we should not cut him a break.  🤨

Damn ionel you had to go there, just when I was beginning to like ya man.  Oh well I guess a leopard never changes its spots…

2 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Damn ionel you had to go there, just when I was beginning to like ya man.  Oh well I guess a leopard never changes its spots…

Jimmy came back cause he missed the smack talk.  Think how disappointed he'd be if someone didn't provide it.  

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Winners Circle said:

Had Covid not happened, it is was highly likely that Spencer Lee would have won a national title in 2020.  There is little debate about that.  He was most dominate during the 2019 - 2020 season.  It is also likely that it would have been Spenser Lee representing the US in the Olympics in 2020, again had Covid not happened.

In 2021, Lee tore a his ACL on his good knee, therefore compromising what he was able to do on the wrestling mat.  Ultimately, he had surgery to repair both knees forcing him to sit out nearly all of the 2021 - 2022 season, and some of the 2022 - 2023 season.  Anyone that has ever wrestled, can appreciate how difficult it must have been for Lee.  As good as he was, it's very difficult to return in that time frame to 100%.  The Spencer Lee that wrestled at nationals in 2023, was not the same guy that was dominating his weight in 2020.  I don't think many would debate that. 

12 minutes ago, Smsu150 said:

Had Covid not happened, it is was highly likely that Spencer Lee would have won a national title in 2020.  There is little debate about that.  He was most dominate during the 2019 - 2020 season. 

People would have said the same thing last season before Matt Ramos happened.

It is also likely that it would have been Spenser Lee representing the US in the Olympics in 2020, again had Covid not happened.

How can you say that it is likely Spencer would have beat Gilman? This was when Gilman was at his peak. 

The Spencer Lee that wrestled at nationals in 2023, was not the same guy that was dominating his weight in 2020.  I don't think many would debate that. 

In 2019-2020 season, he didn't score bonus points in only one of his wins. In 2022-2023 season, he didn't score bonus in only two of his wins. Hard to say he wasn't the same guy, or very close to it.

Edited by Winners Circle

17 minutes ago, ionel said:

Jimmy came back cause he missed the smack talk.  Think how disappointed he'd be if someone didn't provide it.  

I'm more of a  jajensen kinda guy.  That fella commits

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted