Biggest Darkhorse's to make a run at NCAA's

Truzzcat

Your comment is well taken.  I was getting a little ahead of myself.  I still think Matthews is a dark horse. He won't get a great seed.  He is 14-9 and is going to be a bracket buster.   As far as Yonger, Beard and Henson, they are legitimate contenders.

Edited by KLCarnegieTech_1969

My lowest ranked (intermat rankings) guys at each weight with a decent shot at making the finals:

125- #19 Richie Figueroa

133- #3 Daton Fix

141- #14 Cole Matthews

149- #6 Casey Swiderski

157- #15 Brayton Lee

165- #5 Mitchell Mesenbrink

174- #11 Rocco Welsh

184- #8 Bennett Berge

197- #11 Zach Glazier

HWT- #6 Lucas Davison

• Fire 2

39 minutes ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Your comment is well taken.  I was getting a little ahead of myself.  I still think Matthews is a dark horse. He won't get a great seed.  He is 14-9 and is going to be a bracket buster.   As far as Yonger, Beard and Henson, they are legitimate contenders.

Will be interesting to see where Cole is seeded after the ACC tournament.  He has been shaky this year and yeah if he gets seeded in the mid teens and makes a run placing then that's a good dark horse pick

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

17 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Will be interesting to see where Cole is seeded after the ACC tournament.  He has been shaky this year and yeah if he gets seeded in the mid teens and makes a run placing then that's a good dark horse pick

You just gave me an idea for a new contest.

Call it The Dark Horse Race. Or the Dark Horse Derby? Whatever. We have time to workshop that.

Rules: After the seeds come out, pick four wrestlers seeded 17 or below to AA. Points awarded for the difference between their seed and their finish. (I will work out something for finishes in a range). Bonus points of some sort for an actual AA.

• Fire 4

19 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i'm bewildered by the people some are willing to label "dark horse".

new rule: every post involving darkhorse must start by defining criteria for nominating and excluding darkhorses from the conversation. Anything less and we are all talking to walls, which incidentally is drastically less entertaining than talking to our laptop screeens

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, jmoney said:

new rule: every post involving darkhorse must start by defining criteria for nominating and excluding darkhorses from the conversation. Anything less and we are all talking to walls, which incidentally is drastically less entertaining than talking to our laptop screeens

wait ... what are you talking about?

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jmoney said:

yeah I feel like you are going for something but i don't know what.

• Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

hes going to be an absolute nightmare to seed with wins over mendez,lachlan,jack,crook. I cannot name someone off the top of my head with better wins but he has a lot of really bad losses too.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You just gave me an idea for a new contest.

Call it The Dark Horse Race. Or the Dark Horse Derby? Whatever. We have time to workshop that.

Rules: After the seeds come out, pick four wrestlers seeded 17 or below to AA. Points awarded for the difference between their seed and their finish. (I will work out something for finishes in a range). Bonus points of some sort for an actual AA.

Will we be capped at a certain amount when we draft?  Higher seeds worth more?  And Richie Figs should be eliminated from the draft pool or any 125 pounder for that matter.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, randyfoxwell said:

Is Aaron Brooks considered a dark horse?

yeah he lost to marcus coleman last year, got seriously exposed by Valencia...I've got the feeling he is ready to make a run though.

• Haha 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

47 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am open to ideas. Another thought would to expand it to ten picks, one per weight.

Thought we were talking about "Biggest Darkhorse."  I'm beginning to understand this "darkhorse" thing, thanks to @jmoney, am assuming "biggest" means HWT.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am open to ideas. Another thought would to expand it to ten picks, one per weight.

I like the idea of pick 5 and put in ranked order of what you think is most likely, this will break any ties.  We don't expect a dark horse from each weight.  The pick 5 also allows you to pick more than one from a weight.  Some might want to pick all 5 from 125lb.  

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, ionel said:

I like the idea of pick 5 and put in ranked order of what you think is most likely, this will break any ties.  We don't expect a dark horse from each weight.  The pick 5 also allows you to pick more than one from a weight.  Some might want to pick all 5 from 125lb.  

125 should be excluded

5 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

If the tournament was seeded today the lowest seed with the highest potential would be Richard Figueroa.  

No one is a dark horse at 125 (particularly the guy who went undefeated in redshirt last year including a win over the current #1), but kinda to @ionel’s point, while Figueroa is probably the lowest ranked guy with the best chance of winning, I wouldn’t say he has the highest potential.  Among guys ranked below him on both Intermat & Flo, I’d give all of the below a shot to win:

Peterson (22/20)

Sotelo (23/26)

Molton (20/29)

Palmer (25/UR)

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Thought we were talking about "Biggest Darkhorse."  I'm beginning to understand this "darkhorse" thing, thanks to @jmoney, am assuming "biggest" means HWT.  

that would be the Nebraska heavyweight Hutmacher . He cut down from 335 pounds.