Pan-Am Olympic Qualifier 2/28 - 3/1

I love the confidence in Spencer Lee. But, he hasn't beaten Richards or Gilman yet. Not to mention Vito, Fix, or Suriano. 

You sayin’ Spencer wouldn’t have TF’d the US into the OGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I love the confidence in Spencer Lee. But, he hasn't beaten Richards or Gilman yet. Not to mention Vito, Fix, or Suriano. 

Well, I think he has beaten Vito and maybe Richards the last time they wrestled freestyle.  But that was 2019ish.  Beat Cruz, as well.

Teched a guy one week ago who RBY just struggled with.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Puerto Rico is legitimately part of the US, dipshit.

They legitimately have congress representation.

Was kidding around, dipshit.

Doesn't change the fact they have their own Olympic team, kept an American from getting in, and slim chance he has ever even wrestled in Puerto Rico. 

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes, and non-voting.

So I wasn't wrong?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

OK, so the last chance is after Oly trials.   I hear by just a couple of weeks.   That could be tough.   But the winners for those two weights will have their work cut out for them. 

I also understand I may be ahead with naming S Lee etc.   Yes, there is a process.   I have no idea who will be our Oly trials winners but I do know it will be a barn burner. 

mspart

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

You sayin’ Spencer wouldn’t have TF’d the US into the OGs?

I think he would have won. But he wasn't eligible to compete. Also, although I will be rooting for Spencer as much as anyone at oly trials, there is no guarantee he will be our rep and, therefore, our representative at the last chance qualifier.

3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I like Spencer's chances but his gas tank is a question mark for me. We'll see at trials.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

Doesn't change the fact they have their own Olympic team, kept an American from getting in, and slim chance he has ever even wrestled in Puerto Rico. 

Sure you were.  Your anti-American rhetoric is embarrassing.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

I thought you might be kidding.

But my guess is that Cruz has indeed wrestled in PR.  I know multiple people who have represented PR and they have wrestled there and trained there.  In some cases, they were definitely required to.

• Fire 1

He’s wrestled in PR each time they’ve had an event to determine their national team.

Can the Amine brothers say as much?

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Well, I think he has beaten Vito and maybe Richards the last time they wrestled freestyle.  But that was 2019ish.  Beat Cruz, as well.

Teched a guy one week ago who RBY just struggled with.

He teched Cruz and Vito at 2019 senior nationals. Valid data point but safe to say all 3 are different wrestlers since then.

Teching the guy that RBY had some difficulty with is also a valid data point, but I'm not sure how much it says about Spencer's ability to navigate the field at trials.

He's one of my favorite wrestlers and my pick to win oly trials. I just think it's a little early to start penciling him in as the last chance qualifier representative

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I thought you might be kidding.

But my guess is that Cruz has indeed wrestled in PR.  I know multiple people who have represented PR and they have wrestled there and trained there.  In some cases, they were definitely required to.

Well that's more legit than I thought. I could only think of Frank Gomez off the top of my head. 

Didn't the Russian coach ban the transfer athletes from training with them? Wonder if we have a similar thing in place

29 minutes ago, NorthCarolina said:

It has finally happened. 

Americans wrestling for other countries keeping Americans from qualifying the weight. Dang it. 

Didn’t this already happen at worlds with Micic and Rivera?

• Fire 2

At 57kg, Olympic qualifiers so far include Micic, RBY, and Cruz. The USA, however, has yet to qualify the weight.

At 65kg, Olympic qualifiers include Seabass and Gomez. But again the USA has yet to qualify the weight. 

Crazy!

Edited by peanut
  • Fire 1

Cruz has had a freestyle career that has included wrestling in as many tournaments as possible. He had a smart strategy in this match: Back up for six minutes. He knew it would probably cost him a couple of points, but he banked on his ability to reattack. That ability was increased because Zane had to dive full-length to even touch his legs. 

I'm sure Zane would trade his three wins over Cruz for this one loss. 

My one question for rule geeks is this: Once Zane was grounded and pushed out of bounds, shouldn't the ref have blown his whistle? I believe the point awarded to Cruz came from them going out of bounds, then Cruz lifting Zane up.

For the millions of Zaniacs out there, you can bet he'll be back. Every match at OTT will be tough, so everybody has to be in top condition and have managed their cut. 

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Cruz has had a freestyle career that has included wrestling in as many tournaments as possible. He had a smart strategy in this match: Back up for six minutes. He knew it would probably cost him a couple of points, but he banked on his ability to reattack. That ability was increased because Zane had to dive full-length to even touch his legs. 

Sounds like Jombo needs to dust off his passport. STALLLLING

• Haha 1