More cancelled student debt

I'm just curious as to what class in high school that was offered that instructs you on how to borrow large sums of money without any collateral, without having a job, without any viable credit score and to obtain a loan where you do not read it or understand how interest works or understand the terms of paying back the loan? The class  teaches you to borrow large sums of money to invest in what clearly are worthless degrees that in no way will help you get a good paying job so you can pay your loan back. The class also teaches that it's ok to live way beyond your means once you graduate so that there is no money left to pay your loan obligation. Someone please tell me the name of the class. 

2 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I'm just curious as to what class in high school that was offered that instructs you on how to borrow large sums of money without any collateral, without having a job, without any viable credit score and to obtain a loan where you do not read it or understand how interest works or understand the terms of paying back the loan? The class  teaches you to borrow large sums of money to invest in what clearly are worthless degrees that in no way will help you get a good paying job so you can pay your loan back. The class also teaches that it's ok to live way beyond your means once you graduate so that there is no money left to pay your loan obligation. Someone please tell me the name of the class. 

Entitlement 101

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

More proof, as Lonesome Rhodes Glen Beck teaches us,  that edurtashun is poison!

Illegalize teaching!

• Clown 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

Entitlement 101

I'm working on getting that class' culture cancelled here in Iowa!

• Stalling 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

The Federal student aid programs provide grant, loan, and work-study assistance to help students afford a postsecondary education and realize the lifelong benefits of an education beyond high school such as financial stability. The Budget includes both discretionary and mandatory funding that would make available $126 billion in new Federal student aid to help nearly 9 million students and their families pay for college.

Here is the discretionary trend.

image.png
https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget24/budget-highlights.pdf

Here are the past few years of STUDENT AID SUMMARY TABLES.  Red font means spent beyond requested funds.  Green means spending less than the request.  All numbers in millions of dollars.

image.png

Budgets

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

I would have flunked the class.

Me too! No farmer who gets his inchum guaranteed by big gubment would EVER understand big  gubment handouts!

• Confused 1

Student loan forgiveness is unfair to working individuals who took no loans or paid them back.  Just because they made poor choices doesn't mean they shouldn't pay the loans back. 

I have kids who say they can't pay for college without loans.   But these guys do not want to work 40 hours a week to make money to go to pay for school or reduce the amount of loan they would have to take.   They want it handed to them.   I have one that is still hammered by loans.   But he has a good job now and can pay and he is.   He would like loan forgiveness but I don't think he is eligible. 

mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Student loan forgiveness is unfair to working individuals who took no loans or paid them back.  Just because they made poor choices doesn't mean they shouldn't pay the loans back. 

I have kids who say they can't pay for college without loans.   But these guys do not want to work 40 hours a week to make money to go to pay for school or reduce the amount of loan they would have to take.   They want it handed to them.   I have one that is still hammered by loans.   But he has a good job now and can pay and he is.   He would like loan forgiveness but I don't think he is eligible. 

mspart

Who says the forgiveness is only about poor choices?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If they made good choices, they would have the money to pay for the loans.   Is that not self evident in the aggregate?

mspart

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, mspart said:

If they made good choices, they would have the money to pay for the loans.   Is that not self evident in the aggregate?

mspart

No. Especially when loan forgiveness is used as an incentive to take a job they would not have otherwise taken.

You might as well say the GI Bill is as a result of a bad choice.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No. Especially when loan forgiveness is used as an incentive to take a job they would not have otherwise taken.

How much of loan forgiveness relates to taking a job they would not have otherwise taken?

10 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Biden said he made changes so more people would be eligible.  

56 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Political, garner more votes?  🤷‍♀️

4 minutes ago, jross said:

Isn't the majority of loan forgiveness for people outside the public service loan forgiveness program?

Yes, there’d be no reason to announce that programs were running as expected.  In an election year. 

44 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

GI  Bill is for military service.  It compensates for the low pay they get.   I have no problem with GI Bill.   Loan forgiveness is nothing of the sort.   You take a loan you pay it back.   Period.

mspart

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Yes, there’d be no reason to announce that programs were running as expected.  In an election year. 

Why is there so much focus on the public sector when the majority of this isn't that?

Edited by jross

On 2/21/2024 at 9:55 PM, Le duke said:

the GI Bill after WWII.

A perfect example of a voucher system with 100% of the benefits tied directly to the education recipient.  Also, the benefits were capped in amount so if the recipient wanted to go to a more expensive school than the GI Bill benefit paid the difference in cost was paid by him/her.  Before we throw more money to the indoctrinators let's implement this tried and true education investment scheme.  It's only fair.

GI  Bill is for military service.  It compensates for the low pay they get.   I have no problem with GI Bill.   Loan forgiveness is nothing of the sort.   You take a loan you pay it back.   Period.
mspart

The GI Bill has nothing to do with your pay. FGOs, GOs and Senior NCOs making $150k+ a year are just as eligible for it as a 4-and-out E4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

18 hours ago, Le duke said:

The GI Bill has nothing to do with your pay. FGOs, GOs and Senior NCOs making $150k+ a year are just as eligible for it as a 4-and-out E4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a huge difference between taking a loan, then not repaying it, and the GI Bill.   Usually that gets your credit score in the tank for 7 years and sometimes in the pokey.    The GI Bill is earned through years of service to the country.  If it is offered and accepted when the recruit signs up, then the recruit can take advantage of it.   Period.  What part of a contract do you not understand?

mspart