Who is the best wrestler from your state?

peanut

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Depends how we want to define "best ever".  College, absolutely not (Mike Caruso 3 timer) (Mocco 2x champ 4x finalist).  International you can definitely argue he has a slight edge over Bruce with more titles even though Bruce has more medals (only counting Olympics/Worlds)

Burley same college credentials as Mocco.

• Fire 2

7 hours ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

Henson was a phenomenal high school wrestler.  He should be in conversation.  3X NCAA Champ?  Not sure.  

Yes, he was unbelievable. 2x NCAA champ at Clemson and won a world title. I have to put J’Den ahead of him though based on J’Den’s 3 NCAA titles and 2 world titles.

Interesting, though, that Sammie was the assistant at Mizzou when J’Den was an incoming freshman. As soon as they were able to start practicing during the summer, Sammie was working with J’Den on his top game, getting him ready to win a natty as a true freshman.

If we’re looking at whole body of work, it has to be J’Den. If just high school, we’d have to look at Schatzman and Eierman as the only undefeated 4-timers.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Going to step in as an ambassador for a few states

Hawaii Travis Lee

Vermont Robert Hamlin

Louisiana Daniel Cormier

Tennesse Jordan Leen 

New Mexico Joe Puerta 

New Hampshire Connor McGonagle???

Oregon Louden Swain

New Hampshire's best is probably Eric Bradley who won 2X Big Ten title ands was 2X AA (4th and 8th) for Penn State in the 2000s 

• Fire 1

For South Dakota - already mentioned:

Randy Lewis

Lincoln Mac

Jim and Bill Scherr

Some high school greats:

Logan Storley 6 titles

Kirk Wallman 6 titles (his dad Gary "Smokey" also won 4 as did his brother Troy and brother Cory) not quite the Peery's from Oklahoma, but better than my family...  Gary AAed twice at Iowa State. I think one of the boys AAed at Iowa State and one at Wisconsin.

Lincoln Mac 5 titles

• Fire 2

I haven't seen Michigan mentioned yet, and I'm not sure there is a definitive criteria, so I'll throw out some names and not in any order...

Andre Metzger  2 time NCAA Champion 3 time All American World Silver Medalist  World Championships S B B   

Chris Taylor  2 time NCAA Champion Olympic Bronze Medalist

Mark Churella  3 time NCAA Champion  one of the first 4 time all americans.  3-1-1-1  Originator/Director of the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational

Steve Fraser  2 time All American  America's first Olympic Gold Medalist in GR Wrestling

Jimmy Jackson  3 time NCAA Champion

Brent Metcalf  2 Time NCAA Champion/3 time finalist  4 time state champion/4 state championship teams

Jarrett Hubbard 2 Time NCAA Champion  the second ever 4 time all american

Greg Johnson 3 Time NCAA Champion

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Sammy lost to the Purler brothers (Tony and Nick) every time they wrestled in high school.  Wentzville school (Purlers) was in a different class from Francis Howell (Henson), otherwise Sammy might have never won a state championship in high school.  Reason I have both Nick and Tony listed is because they alternated who wrestled Henson through out high school.

didn't know that history with the Purler brothers, thanks

23 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I haven't seen Michigan mentioned yet, and I'm not sure there is a definitive criteria, so I'll throw out some names and not in any order...

Andre Metzger  2 time NCAA Champion 3 time All American World Silver Medalist  World Championships S B B   

Chris Taylor  2 time NCAA Champion Olympic Bronze Medalist

Mark Churella  3 time NCAA Champion  one of the first 4 time all americans.  3-1-1-1  Originator/Director of the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational

Steve Fraser  2 time All American  America's first Olympic Gold Medalist in GR Wrestling

Jimmy Jackson  3 time NCAA Champion

Brent Metcalf  2 Time NCAA Champion/3 time finalist  4 time state champion/4 state championship teams

Jarrett Hubbard 2 Time NCAA Champion  the second ever 4 time all american

Greg Johnson 3 Time NCAA Champion

Metzger was a 4 time AA. and another to add to the list based on international success is Kevin Jackson - Olympic gold, I think 2 world golds as well. college not too bad either (4x AA?) but never a champ.  

2 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Yes, he was unbelievable. 2x NCAA champ at Clemson and won a world title. I have to put J’Den ahead of him though based on J’Den’s 3 NCAA titles and 2 world titles.

Interesting, though, that Sammie was the assistant at Mizzou when J’Den was an incoming freshman. As soon as they were able to start practicing during the summer, Sammie was working with J’Den on his top game, getting him ready to win a natty as a true freshman.

If we’re looking at whole body of work, it has to be J’Den. If just high school, we’d have to look at Schatzman and Eierman as the only undefeated 4-timers.

I remember in high school the best wrestler on our team lost in the finals to J'Den. I was so confused how a freshman beat this senior who I thought was unstoppable. In hindsight the loss makes so much more sense.

• Fire 1

• Melvin Douglas >>> 2xNC-D1 | 4xAA-D1 | 1x World Champ | 6x World Team Member | 2x Olympian
  • Myron Roderick >>> 3xNC-D1 | Olympian
  • Eric Akin >>> 4xAA-D1 | 3x World Team Member
  • Peter Merhinger >>> 1x Olympic Champion while a sophomore in college.
  • Kendrick Maple >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Zach Roberson >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Tyler Caldwell >>> 4xAA-D1
  • Eric Luedke >>> 2xNC-NJCAA | 2xAA-D1
  • Temoer Terry >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Tanner Gardner >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Shawn Bunch >>> 2xAA-D1, Pan Am Champ, 1x World Team Member

This state without D1 opportunities is Kansas.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, jross said:
  • Melvin Douglas >>> 2xNC-D1 | 4xAA-D1 | 1x World Champ | 6x World Team Member | 2x Olympian
  • Myron Roderick >>> 3xNC-D1 | Olympian
  • Eric Akin >>> 4xAA-D1 | 3x World Team Member
  • Peter Merhinger >>> 1x Olympic Champion while a sophomore in college.
  • Kendrick Maple >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Zach Roberson >>> 1xNC-D1 | 3xAA-D1
  • Tyler Caldwell >>> 4xAA-D1
  • Eric Luedke >>> 2xNC-NJCAA | 2xAA-D1
  • Temoer Terry >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Tanner Gardner >>> 3xAA-D1
  • Shawn Bunch >>> 2xAA-D1, Pan Am Champ, 1x World Team Member

This state without D1 opportunities is Kansas.

Caldwell’s from Kansas isn’t he?

3 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Jeremiah Reno Liberty was also undefeated 4x. Although is college and post college career aren’t great, TJ Hill is arguably the best MO HIGH school wrestler. It’s between him and Schatzman in my book. Hill has more Fargo medals than any MO wrestler including the most championships 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

didn't know that history with the Purler brothers, thanks

The GAC conference has produced some of MO’s best wrestlers. Henson took 5th as freshman I believe at state. After the first year didn’t he stay away from the Purlers by staying a weight or two below them? 

1 hour ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Jeremiah Reno Liberty was also undefeated 4x. Although is college and post college career aren’t great, TJ Hill is arguably the best MO HIGH school wrestler. It’s between him and Schatzman in my book. Hill has more Fargo medals than any MO wrestler including the most championships 

Hill didn't run into Kyle Snyder and trade titles with him at Fargo. I'd give the nod to Cox.

i am an idiot on the internet