James E. Sullivan Award Semi-Finalists: Taylor, Gray and Elor

Idaho

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is now or never.

She lost in the 800m free for the first time in 14 years last week. Pour one out for what was the longest winning streak in history, but now is the shortest.

She got my vote.  🏊‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

good man

800 might be in contest, but the FINA/World Aquatics added the 1,500 for women last cycle to "give" Ledecky another gold medal and that still seems assured for these games and maybe even 2028.

That being said, Caitlan Clark is winning this year's award by in a walk.

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is now or never.

She lost in the 800m free for the first time in 14 years last week. Pour one out for what was the longest winning streak in history, but now is the shortest.

Her 1500m win streak is now the longest. It was longer than the 800 by a couple days 

48 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

800 might be in contest, but the FINA/World Aquatics added the 1,500 for women last cycle to "give" Ledecky another gold medal and that still seems assured for these games and maybe even 2028.

The Olympics didn't add the 1500 for her, they had previously kept it out because they are a bunch of neandrathals who viewed women as the weaker sex, incapable of such extremes. Meanwhile, Janet Evans was rocking the 1500 for years. As a 1500 swimmer in the 70s and 80s who trained with a lot of great women swimmers, I never understood the logic of having the event in age group level meets but not the Olympics.

And, yes, I am spitting into the wind. Caitlan Clark is going to run away with it.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

4 hours ago, Idaho said:

Semi-Finalist from wrestling include Taylor, Gray and Elor.  Who do you got?

Impressive list of college and international athletes. 

https://aausullivan.secure-platform.com/94th/gallery?roundId=5

I voted for Ryan Crouser because he has the best hair and could kick all three of those wrestlers' butts (probably at the same time) if he needed to.

13 minutes ago, PencilNeck said:

I voted for Ryan Crouser because he has the best hair and could kick all three of those wrestlers' butts (probably at the same time) if he needed to.

His world record throw was impressive.  I will still take David Taylor you Pencil Neck Geek. 

spacer.png

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The Olympics didn't add the 1500 for her, they had previously kept it out because they are a bunch of neandrathals who viewed women as the weaker sex, incapable of such extremes. Meanwhile, Janet Evans was rocking the 1500 for years. As a 1500 swimmer in the 70s and 80s who trained with a lot of great women swimmers, I never understood the logic of having the event in age group level meets but not the Olympics.

And, yes, I am spitting into the wind. Caitlan Clark is going to run away with it.

The lack of a 1500 for women was sexist.

I've worked in TV for 30 years. The timing by FINA/World Aquatics to include a 1500 for women when Ledecky was the biggest US swimming star, as the US generates half of the TV rights revenue for the IOC, was not coincidental.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/199938/broadcast-rights-fees-of-the-olympic-games-since-1998/

• Fire 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

5 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I'd argue we need less sets in men's tennis. Joker, Nadal, etc. and their 5 and 6 hour matches have made the game unwatchable except for purists.

But they are athletes.  Look at some of the women who win because its only 2 sets. 

On 2/14/2024 at 12:38 PM, Voice of the Quakers said:

Again, I know it's sacrilegious to respect Basketball players at all, but she's fun to watch. I'm not quite setting my schedule to it, but I noticed they were on...what, yesterday(two days ago now) and tuned in. 

Ledecky is the most deserving, but...I'm still voting for Taylor. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Again, I know it's sacrilegious to respect Basketball players at all, but she's fun to watch. I'm not quite setting my schedule to it, but I noticed they were on...what, yesterday(two days ago now) and tuned in. 

Ledecky is the most deserving, but...I'm still voting for Taylor. 

Taylor for me.....Ledecky second.....Clark third       image.jpeg.a8b91396b1cb6eec7e012360812518fd.jpeg

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 1

Won't vote for womens basketball. Not until they play with the same ball as the men. This reeks of "Separate but equal" and just as with civil rights... it is not.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.