James E. Sullivan Award Semi-Finalists: Taylor, Gray and Elor

Idaho

I like Taylor for this.  Won the world title, beat an all-time great Iranian in the finals, via pin.  What else can you ask for?  Its comparable to Snyder winning the Sullivan after beating Sadulaev, and Rulon winning after beating Karelin.  If Taylor didn't exist, Yazdani would be an 8x world/Olympic champ, and considered the best ever.

I like Elor and Gray, but I don't think their 2023 compares well to Taylor.  Gray's had a great career, but she only took bronze in 2023.  Elor won, but didn't beat someone of Yazdani's caliber.  Give me a year where Elor knocks off one of Japan's multi-timers, and she'd get my vote if I had one.

Not Ledecky either.  If the Sullivan were a lifetime achievement award, Ledecky would be deserving, but she's not what she once was. She's nails in the 800 and 1500, winning both in 2023, but isn't as competitive in the 200 or 400 anymore. If she gets it, its a make-up for being (wrongfully) overlooked in the past.

Clark is a popular choice -- the media's really been fawning over her lately, and she's drawing crowds -- but she won it last year.  Sullivan doesn't seem to like repeat winners.

If hotness were among the criteria, the Sullivan would go to Stanford's Brink (dayum!), but since Rulon won it once I'm pretty sure its not a factor.

So Taylor it is.

Edited by BAC
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:24 PM, AgaveMaria said:

Won't vote for womens basketball. Not until they play with the same ball as the men. This reeks of "Separate but equal" and just as with civil rights... it is not.

I can't tell if this is serious or you're trolling! LOL...how is is similar to blacks not being able to drink at the same fountains or attend schools with dirt floors because they don't use the exact same equipment the men do?

They're NOT equal physically. We all know this. You're comparing an athlete's dominance in their particular sport.

Also...if you're not voting for a WCBB player because they play with a smaller ball, you don't strike me as the person who'd suddenly be open to it if they changed the size ball they use. 

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Also...if you're not voting for a WCBB player because they play with a smaller ball, you don't strike me as the person who'd suddenly be open to it if they changed the size ball they use. 

This is why a golfer should never win because its a small ball.  Plus golf is not a sport, just ask George Carlin.  

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...