157:  Franek DEC Haines

165:  Mesenbrink DEC Caliendo

174:  Starocci DEC Kennedy

184:  Truax MDEC Riggins

197:  Brooks MDEC Glazier

HWT:  Kerkvleit MDEC Hill

PSU 24-9

2 hours ago, Elevator said:

going to have to veto this - we need posters on here.  think of some other stupid bet 

There are over 2k posters on here... we can manage. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

They have the ability to see and ban specific IPs.

They know if Dipshit Cinnatwat is someone else and who specifically it is.

One problem with this.

We have five different people who use this computer. Saves us 44 miles driving to get to the Public Library to use theirs.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

Anybody happen to know Iowa's worst defeat ever?  That would be interesting.

Depends.

For the 1965-66 season there were nine weight classes for duals. That was a rough one for the Hawkeyes. Dave McCuskey's team went a brutal 2-7-2 with 0-32 losses to both Michigan and Minnesota and a 0-39 loss to Oklahoma State. 

In the ten weight era there have been 2 twenty point losses. A 9-29 loss to Iowa State in the 1972-73 season and the previously mentioned 10-30 loss to Oklahoma State in the 2003-2004 season.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

46 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

One problem with this.

We have five different people who use this computer. Saves us 44 miles driving to get to the Public Library to use theirs.

I speak for everyone when I say this:  If you knowingly harbor that dipshit, then you deserve every bit of the IP ban that he does.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Depends.

For the 1965-66 season there were nine weight classes for duals. That was a rough one for the Hawkeyes. Dave McCuskey's team went a brutal 2-7-2 with 0-32 losses to both Michigan and Minnesota and a 0-39 loss to Oklahoma State

So with 10 weights in duals it might've been 0-45.  Really wish wrestlingstats still worked.  Believe this was the era of different weights at the tournament.  I remember coffee discussion with Ron Clinton about bumping up ~20+ lbs for NCAA Jr year (due to added wt class at tourney) and then won it the next year as Sr with a messed up hand injury.  

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 2

37 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Depends.

For the 1965-66 season there were nine weight classes for duals. That was a rough one for the Hawkeyes. Dave McCuskey's team went a brutal 2-7-2 with 0-32 losses to both Michigan and Minnesota and a 0-39 loss to Oklahoma State. 

In the ten weight era there have been 2 twenty point losses. A 9-29 loss to Iowa State in the 1972-73 season and the previously mentioned 10-30 loss to Oklahoma State in the 2003-2004 season.

Oops. Oklahoma, not Oklahoma State.

Those three losses in 65-66 were part of a four match losing streak where they were outscored 9-120.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

125: Ayala Dec over Davis 3-0  Iowa
133: Nagao Dec over Schriever 3-3
141: Woods Dec over Bartlett 6-3 Iowa
149: Rathjen Dec over Kasak 9-3 Iowa
157: Franek Dec over Haines 12-3 Iowa
165: Mesenbrink Dec over Caliendo 12-6 Iowa
174: Starocci M.Dec over Kennedy 12-10 Iowa
184: Arnold Dec over Truax 15-10 Iowa
197: Brooks M.Dec over Glazier 15-14 Iowa
285: Kerkvliet T.F. Hill 19-15 PSU

Not an Iowa fan but everyone's underselling them at home.  The Arnold/Truax pick is admittedly a stretch and wildly unlikely to happen.  Curious to see how Caliendo fares against Mesenbrink.

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Oops. Oklahoma, not Oklahoma State.

Those three losses in 65-66 were part of a four match losing streak where they were outscored 9-120.

There are no oops ... Bob gave you 15 minutes. 

Do we realistically think that both teams will put out all of their starters in this match up?   My guess is that each team holds back at least 1.  I say the Hawks hold back Glazier and PSU holds back Davis.

My reasoning would be an undefeated Glazier gets the 2 seed in the BigTen and pretty much get a chance to surprise Brooks in the finals having no prior experience with him.  With Davis' win over D'agustino, and D'agustino win over Ayala if Davis wins his matches against Rutgers, Nebraska and Edinboro, very doable, he will be the #2 seed with an easier path(maybe even a bye) to the quarterfinals.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  You have to pick at least 1 from each team and why it would make sense.

Edited by PSULou64
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

Do we realistically think that both teams will put out all of their starters in this match up?   My guess is that each team holds back at least 1. 

portrait-of-a-curious-gosling-and-duckli

7 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

Do we realistically think that both teams will put out all of their starters in this match up?   My guess is that each team holds back at least 1.  I say the Hawks hold back Glazier and PSU holds back Davis.

My reasoning would be an undefeated Glazier gets the 2 seed in the BigTen and pretty much get a chance to surprise Brooks in the finals having no prior experience with him.  With Davis' win over D'agustino, and D'agustino win over Ayala if Davis wins his matches against Rutgers, Nebraska and Edinboro, very doable, he will be the #2 seed with an easier path(maybe even a bye) to the quarterfinals.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  You have to pick at least 1 from each team and why it would make sense.

This is a very smart comment, and I agree both coaches, and all top coaches have moved beyond the concept that dual meet performance is anything other than tertiary window dressing.  

Yeah, it's nice to win at home, but the whole schedule, as well as the way coaches structurally and competitively manage their seasons, is so overweighted for March, that I wouldn't be surprised to see this outcome either.  

As part of the structural thing, I think its important to note that being a college wrestling coach seems to be a much more year-round position than it was in it was ten years ago.  A lot more press and hype is given to getting college age guys to medal at age-group worlds or to make senior teams than it used to be.  Overall I think this is a great thing, but I believe the best coaches now budget their wrestlers' mileage on a 12 month basis rather than a 4-month basis.  

The system as it stands will reward Beau Bartlett for ducking the match vs Woods which is a shame.  Bartlett undefeated and Mendez and Woods each with a loss - means that Bartlett should get 1 seed and the 2/3 between the other two guys.  This then plays into their national seeding and so on.  I hope Bartlett wrestles and will gain respect for him by putting himself out there when strategically he wouldn't need to.

39 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

Totally sound logic but I really, really hope we don't get any ducks. 

If it were to happen, I can see either team sitting their 141 pounder. Bartlett has more of a reason to since he presumably has the 1 seed on lock but the chatter on line is that Woods has been sick and possibly dealing with a minor injury so I wouldn't be shocked if the Brands sit him to let him gel. Mind you, I'm not confident in the validity of this chatter. It could just be excuse making. 

One could also argue that Gabe not wrestling at 174 is a duck variant given his prior online comments. 

Edited by Mr. PeanutButter

125: Drake Ayala dec Braeden Davis 3-0

133: Aaron Nagao dec Cullan Schriever 3-3

141: Real woods fall Karl Shindledecker 9-3

149: Tyler Kasak dec Caleb Rathjen 9-6

157: Levi Haines dec Jared Franek 9-9

165: Mitchell Mesenbrink dec Michael Caliendo 9-12

174: Patrick Kennedy dec Terrell Barraclough 12-12

184: Bernie Truax major Aidan Riggins 12-16

197: Aaron Brooks dec Zach Glazier 12-19

285: Greg Kerkvliet tech fall Bradley Hill 12-24 Nittany Lions