AJ Ferrari's striking

This is more of a MMA topic but has anyone seen AJ Ferrari's video of him training MMA?  For such an explosive athlete his striking looks like Ben Askren.  It's slow and awkward.  Askren was never explosive so it was understandable his striking would be similarly unexplosive.  But what gives with AJ's punches looking like he's punching underwater?

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This is more of a MMA topic but has anyone seen AJ Ferrari's video of him training MMA?  For such an explosive athlete his striking looks like Ben Askren.  It's slow and awkward.  Askren was never explosive so it was understandable his striking would be similarly unexplosive.  But what gives with AJ's punches looking like he's punching underwater?

for his mma career its mildly concerning because ive seen him training his striking since he left okie state and there has been seemingly no progression 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I thought this was going to be about how handsome you thought he was.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

13 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

for his mma career its mildly concerning because ive seen him training his striking since he left okie state and there has been seemingly no progression 

It is all a ruse for when he has his first fight.   He'll have fists of lightning then.   No doubt.

mspart

2 hours ago, mspart said:

It is all a ruse for when he has his first fight.   He'll have fists of lightning then.   No doubt.

mspart

I thought the saying was, "You're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder."

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

5 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I thought I read somewhere that chest mass is no bueno for punch speed. As a decent boxing fan I feel many fighters have alleged similar stuff regarding bulk seemingly harming hand speed. I can only attest to my own hand speed being unimpressive when I benched 275 at a body weight of 140 pounds many years back in a boxing training program. I feel like alot of this is genetics and if he's Mr Fast Twitch he should be capable of being fast.

10 hours ago, jmoney said:

I thought I read somewhere that chest mass is no bueno for punch speed. As a decent boxing fan I feel many fighters have alleged similar stuff regarding bulk seemingly harming hand speed. I can only attest to my own hand speed being unimpressive when I benched 275 at a body weight of 140 pounds many years back in a boxing training program. I feel like alot of this is genetics and if he's Mr Fast Twitch he should be capable of being fast.

not taking anything away from him because hes very strong but he lifts especially when hes dumbbell pressed from what ive seen look like they are loading his joints a lot and are also not controlled and in a short range of motion. So I wonder if doing that over the years has hindered his rom and speed. I know boxers will train explosive reps but thats usually over a full range and with nowhere even remotely close to a max load.

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

100%. Equally concerning is he keeps posting it like its impressive. 

11 hours ago, jmoney said:

Mike Tyson begs to differ.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Tyson was one of the quickest heavyweights in modern history.  It helped him generate power.

Yes, but he's a bit of an anomaly in terms of having big pecs and punching fast and hard.  Most top boxers don't have big pecs.

5 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Mike Tyson begs to differ.

Touche! I think I moreso wanted to emphasize that physique doesn't create punching power. A guy like string bean Erik El Terrible Morales (my favorite fighter of all time) had decent power for his physique. Barrera looked like he never saw a gym but his punches were devastating. Physiques of devastating fighters vary widely. I've definitely seen my share of jacked arm punchers who can't hurt a fly. I recall reading more than a couple interviews/watching videos of fighters especially at lighter weights emphasizing how size in the chest would be a disadvantage to them in the fight game and they didn't do those types of workouts. I'm sure it varies by weight class, genetics and commitment to good technique. If Ferrari is really struggling to punch he's not Mr Fast Twitch. Someone should do a Mr T spoof of Ferrari (like Rocky 3) and call him The Fabulous Twinkie. Since people mentioned both Tyson and Holifield, did you know Holifield used to spar against tires? He would swing a tire and practice head butting the thing at all angles until he never hurt himself. He's the Master Butter.

• Fire 1