Top Teams/Transfer Impact

JimmyBT

I took the latest Intermat Tournament Top 10 teams and cross referenced it with the person Wrestlestat has listed as the starter at each weight for these ten teams.  Here is what I came up with as Tranfers starting on the current Intermat top ten. Disclaimer: I did this in 20 minutes so feel free to add corrections.  

1. Penn State - (4) Nagao, Messinbrink, Truax, Kirk

2. Iowa - (4) Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo [5 if Voinovich ends up starting]
3. NC State - None

4. Missouri - (1) Gioffre

5. Oklahoma St - (4) Spratley, Jamison, Alvarez, Olejnik

6. Virginia Tech - None

7. Lehigh - (1) Beard

8. Cornell - None

9. Michigan - (4) DeAugustino, Gomez, Griffith, Davison (5 if Cannon didn’t get hurt) 

10.  Iowa St -  (2) Echemendia, Feldcamp (3 if Chittum leaving HWC counts) 

Not sure what this means, if anything, but 20% (maybe plus) of the starters on the current top ten teams are transfers.  Would be interesting to be able to compare this to NIL money available  

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

I took the latest Intermat Tournament Top 10 teams and cross referenced it with the person Wrestlestat has listed as the starter at each weight for these ten teams.  Here is what I came up with as Tranfers starting on the current Intermat top ten. Disclaimer: I did this in 20 minutes so feel free to add corrections.  

1. Penn State - (4) Nagao, Messinbrink, Truax, Kirk

2. Iowa - (4) Teske, Woods, Franek, Caliendo [5 if Voinovich ends up starting]
3. NC State - None

4. Missouri - (1) Gioffre

5. Oklahoma St - (4) Spratley, Jamison, Alvarez, Olejnik

6. Virginia Tech - None

7. Lehigh - (1) Beard

8. Cornell - None

9. Michigan - (4) DeAugustino, Gomez, Griffith, Davison (5 if Cannon didn’t get hurt) 

10.  Iowa St -  (2) Echemendia, Feldcamp (3 if Chittum leaving HWC counts) 

Not sure what this means, if anything, but 20% (maybe plus) of the starters on the current top ten teams are transfers.  Would be interesting to be able to compare this to NIL money available  

Isn’t most of Cornell’s team transfers from TCCC?

Edited by 1032004

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Isn’t most of Cornell’s team transfers from TCCC?

I don’t know.  Are they? I was just going with other colleges that compete in the NCAA tournament ( plus chittum whom left because of the Ferraris ) 

Edited by JimmyBT

It is interesting and I have noticed it over the years that Missouri and NC state stand out as the best teams which do not rely on the portal in any significant way.  NC State seems to have a very specific type of person they look for (committing to zero tolerance for alcohol even for above aged students during the offseason).  Missouri has had the odd transfer here and there, but it doesn't tend to be one of their better guys.  NC State is actually a net contributor to the transfer portal in a major way.  Seems like either guys get caught with bad behavior and are sent packing or they realize the squad is too deep and want to have a chance contributing somewhere.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He was never on campus , he was taking online classes while training for worlds and then transferred right after 

Online classes at Ohio State University?  Sounds like a transfer. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, flyingcement said:

It is interesting and I have noticed it over the years that Missouri and NC state stand out as the best teams which do not rely on the portal in any significant way.  NC State seems to have a very specific type of person they look for (committing to zero tolerance for alcohol even for above aged students during the offseason).  Missouri has had the odd transfer here and there, but it doesn't tend to be one of their better guys.  NC State is actually a net contributor to the transfer portal in a major way.  Seems like either guys get caught with bad behavior and are sent packing or they realize the squad is too deep and want to have a chance contributing somewhere.

True, but NCState did benefit greatly from one transfer. Gwiz coming over with Coach Pop really got things moving for the Wolfpack. 

6 hours ago, buckshot said:

Just for the record Kerkvleit never actually wrestled for OSU, he flipped his commitment but didn't transfer. 

He never wrestled at Minnesota or Oklahoma St either. But he was enrolled at OHio st before transferring to Penn St   

He entered the transfer portal while enrolled at Ohio St 

Edited by JimmyBT

So what teams have contributed the most TO the portal this season?  Probably forgetting some and I know some were grad transfers or extenuating circumstances:

Minnesota: Ramos, Nagao, Spratley

Stanford: Griffith and Woods

NDSU: Franek and Caliendo

NC State: Noto and Poulin

PSU: Beard, Nevills and Teske (can’t remember if Teske leaving PSU was pre-portal)

UNI: Teske and Blockhus

Iowa: Henson and unofficially Chittum

Wisconsin:  Gomez and Burwikkkk

Minnesota had 7 wrestlers transfer this off-season that are currently starting on their new team...

Spratley (OSU), Nagao (PSU), Jamison (OSU), Polanco (Pur), Lee (IND), Carlson (OU), Kluever (Hof).

Michigan had 5 All-Americans transfer in, and yet Minnesota still has a higher ranked dual team.

#Development

• Fire 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Minnesota had 7 wrestlers transfer this off-season that are currently starting on their new team...

I don't believe they're included because the IM ranking has them at sixteen in the tourney rankings.

I believe OSU has only one transfer, 125lber Fenton, who is third in the depth chart...

Spratley (OSU), Nagao (PSU), Jamison (OSU), Polanco (Pur), Lee (IND), Carlson (OU), Kluever (Hof).
Michigan had 5 All-Americans transfer in, and yet Minnesota still has a higher ranked dual team.
#Development

This is brutal. Need to reverse some of those transfer portal numbers with all the guys we’re going to graduate this offseason. Eggum will have money to throw around, gotta use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

#Development

So they develop for duals but not the tournament. Got it. 🤦‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I don't believe they're included because the IM ranking has them at sixteen in the tourney rankings.

I believe OSU has only one transfer, 125lber Fenton, who is third in the depth chart...

Does Echemendia count?