First Coaches Ranking [link]

When did the coaches turn in these rankings?  Just looking at 125, they have Ayala over Ramos, Caleb Smith at 7 and McKee at 18.  Were these rankings due before this weekend, or were the coaches so busy with their own teams this weekend that they just did not consider any recent results?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

When did the coaches turn in these rankings?  Just looking at 125, they have Ayala over Ramos, Caleb Smith at 7 and McKee at 18.  Were these rankings due before this weekend, or were the coaches so busy with their own teams this weekend that they just did not consider any recent results?

Also, no Blockhus in the top 33? Has the 8 matches to be qualified, and just beat Robb and Franek? Must have been done before the duals Friday. 

• Fire 1

Also, no Blockhus in the top 33? Has the 8 matches to be qualified, and just beat Robb and Franek? Must have been done before the duals Friday. 

Several gophers left off weirdly. Tyler Wells is 9-2 with wins over #12 and #13, and only losses to #12 and #14. I would think he’d be at least in the top 25 but I’m also biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Based on these rankings Iowa has to be the favorite for the team title.

And there it is!  Nice display of restraint, you waited 46 minutes into the topic this time.

• Fire 3

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Do these rankings have any purpose? or is there just some dork at the NCAA who suggested doing coaches rankings and now everyone is too lazy to fire him? I could see them mattering in team sports.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Do these rankings have any purpose? or is there just some dork at the NCAA who suggested doing coaches rankings and now everyone is too lazy to fire him? I could see them mattering in team sports.

I will not stand idly by while you besmirch the good name of dorks. I said good day, sir.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

13 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Aren't these the rankings used to determine seeds and qualifiers?

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Aren't these the rankings used to determine seeds and qualifiers?

idk thats what i'm asking. Right not you could have any three random forum contributors could do better.

Just now, Gantry said:

I'm almost positive that these are the rankings that determine seeds and qualifiers, I should have just said that instead of making it a question. 

They are.   They get better over time.  You need like 8 or 10 matches to qualify no?   Remember last year a coach or two forgot to send theirs in and they were whacked the first few times as well.  

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

I'm almost positive that these are the rankings that determine seeds and qualifiers, I should have just said that instead of making it a question. 

well as a caveat to that, obviously thats all post conference. I'd be curious to see the these pre conference and see if they make more sense.

9 minutes ago, Caveira said:

They are.   They get better over time.  You need like 8 or 10 matches to qualify no?   Remember last year a coach or two forgot to send theirs in and they were whacked the first few times as well.  

I do remember them getting better but we're still at this weird spot where nobody thinks it a good idea the coaches to the rankings that matter.  The coaches themselves don't think it's a good idea, I'm almost positive one of the rankings services offered to do it, etc.  Why we continue to have it this way is confusing...

the NCAA sets the coaches rankings up for failure and criticism.

1) they were turned in last friday and not released until after an enormous batch of results

2) you have to have 8 matches to get ranked

3) the coaches have to designate the correct 'starter' or you can't vote for them.

so this is the crap we get. 

• Fire 1

TBD

6 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

the NCAA sets the coaches rankings up for failure and criticism.

1) they were turned in last friday and not released until after an enormous batch of results

2) you have to have 8 matches to get ranked

3) the coaches have to designate the correct 'starter' or you can't vote for them.

so this is the crap we get. 

Many points of failure, so they made a point to fail many times.

Personally I love them.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge