Travis Wittlake

Gus

Keep Travis Wittlake in your thoughts and prayers. He sustained substantial injuries while working on his pickup. His wrestling career is likely over but he escaped a very serious situation with his life.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/travis-wittlake-jr-emergency-medical-fund?fbclid=IwAR0-PhbW51D7z_Af6m7_rj8DbKeLgVoQLY20EtrsJB3nYdGM8Ex6Y0REB28

Edited by Gus
  • Fire 3
  • Stalling 4

This one's tough.  Just getting to know the young man since he came back home.  Saw him wrestle a handful of times on video, then last Friday on the raised podium, along with 8500 others.  Hoping for the best for him and his family & teammates. 

If you have the time I encourage you to listen to his interview done last week on local Corvallis/Albany radio.  KEJO (Joe Radio), podcast.  1-3-24.  His piece starts about 1:15 in.  Coach Pendleton is on the first hour.  Listening to this made me think, what a great young man this is and how he will be a success in anything he does.

https://the-joe-beaver-show.simplecast.com/episodes

• Fire 2

Unclear from the go fund me if he was using one or not, but always use a jack stand before getting under a vehicle.  Don't trust your life to a jack.  If possible put some kind of backup in place too in case it falls off the jack stand.  For example, if you are taking the wheel off to do the job, place the tire/wheel such that if the car falls off the jack stand it will hit that before it totally crushes you.

• Fire 5

61K+ now... great showing by the wrestling community. If you take a look at everyone who has donated you will see O'Toole, Coleman, Gable Steveson, Elam, Mehki Lewis..... what a great showing. Probably the most interesting one to me are the Staroccis... a couple days after Carter techs him they are donating. Classy. 

• Fire 4

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

61K+ now... great showing by the wrestling community. If you take a look at everyone who has donated you will see O'Toole, Coleman, Gable Steveson, Elam, Mehki Lewis..... what a great showing. Probably the most interesting one to me are the Staroccis... a couple days after Carter techs him they are donating. Classy. 

I also saw Mike Sheets wife gave a very generous donation - as did Chael Sonnen

• Fire 3

23 hours ago, fishbane said:

Unclear from the go fund me if he was using one or not, but always use a jack stand before getting under a vehicle.  Don't trust your life to a jack.  If possible put some kind of backup in place too in case it falls off the jack stand.  For example, if you are taking the wheel off to do the job, place the tire/wheel such that if the car falls off the jack stand it will hit that before it totally crushes you.

"thoughts and prayers to him, anyway here's how he ***ducked** up." 

1 hour ago, Bardamu911 said:

"thoughts and prayers to him, anyway here's how he ***ducked** up." 

Another way to look at @fishbane post would be that he does not want anyone on this forum to make the same unfortunate mistake that Travis made that almost cost him his life. A public service announcement if you will... 

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Another way to look at @fishbane post would be that he does not want anyone on this forum to make the same unfortunate mistake that Travis made that almost cost him his life. A public service announcement if you will... 

Seriously, gravity is very real.  Always do the car mechanic equivalent of measure twice cut once.

• Fire 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:24 PM, fishbane said:

Nice well intended post, fishbane.

Tons of people are injured or even killed each year in these types of incidents. I would encourage anyone who is not very familiar with these types of tools (years of use) to get some knowledge (guided learning) before using them.

Since most jacks used today are hydraulic pressure jacks it is important to understand they are for lifting only, not for supporting for a lengthy period of time. These jacks have only a seal keeping that pressure locked in. If the seal fails, the weight of the vehicle falls. Simple as that.

Also, it is easy to rock the vehicle off of any single point of support. The vehicle again will fall. 

Use jack stands, and use them properly in pairs and on the correct support locations. 

Prayers go out to Travis Wittlake.

• Fire 1

Almost 80k..... so great to see the names listed on their donating to the cause. A lot of Oregon State connections, but so awesome to see so many Oklahoma State names on there supporting their guy. Nice job. 

The donations are almost at 100k.  This update just came out: 

Just wanted to update everyone regarding Travis. He is back home with his family and beginning the long road to recovery. The first couple of nights were filled with quite a bit of pain and discomfort but it sounds like the Doctors have helped him get that under control. He has to stay pretty still while both his leg and back heal. He has a follow up in about 2-3 weeks with his surgeon to check on how his bones are healing. The Wittlake Family is SO GRATEFUL to everyone who has contributed to this fund and left notes, as well as, all of you who have reached out with words of encouragement and support. Keep Travis in your prayers as the long road to recovery is underway!
Thank you!

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...