Buchanan in the portal

WrestlingFan89

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa wants a team title next year.  $1 million for 2 All-Americans might do it for them.

Always commit to the bit.

5 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

If they wanted to win a national title I think they should have addressed the needs at wherever drake does not going 125/133 and 141. They would have gotten points at 157 and 197 regardless. I don't think you can beat Penn State giving up a doughnut at two weights potentially although I do think Drake should go 125 and Peterson has upside at 133. Schriever feel like he could not be a NQ at 141 though.

They tried, allegedly, to get Matt Ramos.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

If they wanted to win a national title I think they should have addressed the needs at wherever drake does not going 125/133 and 141. They would have gotten points at 157 and 197 regardless. I don't think you can beat Penn State giving up a doughnut at two weights potentially although I do think Drake should go 125 and Peterson has upside at 133. Schriever feel like he could not be a NQ at 141 though.

If you want to win a national title bringing in the highest returning placer at 197 (a weight you went 1-2 at NCAA's last year) and the highest returning placer at 157 (assuming Haines is out of the weight) would be the right equation. If you want to win titles, you need horses and Buchanon and Teemer are proven high end guys.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Iowa wants a team title next year.  $1 million for 2 All-Americans might do it for them.

LOL.

13 minutes ago, Gus said:

These two things don't have to mutually exclusive. NLWC and CKWC seem to have no problem paying big money for transfers and endowing the RTC with mucho dinero.

Out of curiosity: Why do you think that PSU/NLWC pays big money for transfers? How much money do you think they paid Mesenbrink?

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

LOL.

Out of curiosity: Why do you think that PSU/NLWC pays big money for transfers? How much money do you think they paid Mesenbrink?

How much money do you think they paid him?

Not sure about Mesenbrink, and this is pure speculation, but I would bet Nagao and Truax got over $100k last year.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

No, it was changed for all winter sports to be a one time thing just this last year.

@flyingcementdo you have the info on that?

We talked about it more in-depth on the TP thread.

As far as I can tell the rules changed to close the autumn portal opening.  So the news of Buchanan joining Iowa, after he was not in the transfer portal, does not reconcile with my understanding of the rules.  @Husker_Du?

17 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

As far as I can tell the rules changed to close the autumn portal opening.  So the news of Buchanan joining Iowa, after he was not in the transfer portal, does not reconcile with my understanding of the rules.  @Husker_Du?

There is a special exemption for grad students or students transferring to Iowa.

1Penn State134.51

2Iowa70.57

Based on flows last rankings Iowa would get an additional 20 points at 157 if they were to get teemer and 14 at 197 with Buchannen based on the rankings.

This is also with keuter only getting 2 points at heavyweight which I think everyone would agree is probably his floor.

They also have Levi second at 174 which would be 16 points and I think going up two weights with KOT second may be his ceiling.

The other weights where a PSU guy could potentially fall down in my opinion are 149 with SVN at 2 just not sure how he looks after all his injuries and Kasak at 4 at 157 which is just a tough weight with guys like Antrell Taylor at 8 and being two weights up from where he started the year last year. Aaron Nagao is also at 7 at 133 which should be where he falls but he was not inspiring last year.

when you account for all these things Iowa may be able to buy their way into a team race, but they would need to wrestle their ass off and PSU would likely need to under perform.

adding in the additional points of the possible transfers and putting Keuter at 8 its 134.51 to 108.57

Edited by Truzzcat

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

LOL.

Just based on the rumored money from last summer and the fact that Starrocci is saying his NIL deal is 7 figures. 

30 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

sadly true.  I'm just curious to hear how this is justified - or maybe my understanding of the rules is incorrect.  

Not really sure what the answer is, but maybe he was in the portal and we just didn't know it?

But as for the portal they only have a single window for wrestling now, from mid-March to early May.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not really sure what the answer is, but maybe he was in the portal and we just didn't know it?

But as for the portal they only have a single window for wrestling now, from mid-March to early May.

... shirely you aren't suggesting fly is slipping at the portal job.  😯

• Jagger 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

... shirely you aren't suggesting fly is slipping at the portal job.  😯

I only report second hand info at best: scouring Wrestlestat, Flo, other message boards, X, and Instagram for updates.  I don't have a view into the actual portal itself.  I wish it was public.  I think of my role in the process is mostly an aggregator 

Edited by flyingcement

Just now, flyingcement said:

I only report second hand info at best: scouring Wrestlestat, Flo, X, and Instagram for updates.  I don't have a view into the actual portal itself.  I wish it was public.

Maybe you need to start following the wrestlknownothing pod cast.  😉

• Duck 1

Though I just found this. It implies that the portal opens with the opening of the academic year (not sure what the definition of that is) for transfer students only, and that it closes for transfer students at the same time it closes for undergrads (early May):

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/media-center-division-i-council-approves-changes-to-transfer-rules.aspx

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows."

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Though I just found this. It implies that the portal opens with the opening of the academic year (not sure what the definition of that is) for transfer students only, and that it closes for transfer students at the same time it closes for undergrads (early May):

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2024/4/17/media-center-division-i-council-approves-changes-to-transfer-rules.aspx

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows."

so if someone considers an academic year to also begin on January 1st, for those that did not attend a fall semester, some kind of loophole like that? Or is is that final point - that since the window hasn't closed to complete a transfer - a graduate student can still enter the portal now?  That is different than how I understood it, but that could be it.

Edited by flyingcement

Just now, flyingcement said:

so if someone considers an academic year to also begin on January 1st, for those that did not attend a fall semester, some kind of loophole like that? 

Looks like this is the academic year definition:

14.4.3.1.1 Regular Academic Year. For purposes of Bylaw 14.4.3.1, the regular academic year shall be defined as the time beginning with the opening of the institution's fall term and concluding with the institution's spring commencement exercises. (Adopted: 4/2/03 effective 8/1/03, Revised: 6/1/06)

• Brain 1

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

so if someone considers an academic year to also begin on January 1st, for those that did not attend a fall semester, some kind of loophole like that? 

But it says "enter the portal at any time during the academic year." The academic year is generally end of Aug to May but a good number of grad students enter in January.  The other part though is the "enter the portal prior to.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

sadly true.  I'm just curious to hear how this is justified - or maybe my understanding of the rules is incorrect.  

I keep asking this question - the rule change is obvious and in writing by the NCAA that there is one portal opening in Spring and now grad transfers also have to go by the same date. Those saying Teemer and Buchanan are being recruited by Iowa say there is a second portal in the Fall for grads, but I have not seen that anywhere. What would be hilarious if that was an Iowa assumption, they spent all this money to recruit them, then find out they can't go in the portal. A fitting ending. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

8 minutes ago, cowcards said:

As long as the grad transfer rule provided is accurate, it means grad transfers can enter as soon as the fall term starts for their institution and have to be in the portal by the time the wrestling window closes. 

Yes - enter beginning  in August (or date the year starts) up to the last day of the Spring window for wrestling. However, it does not make clear if you can actually be eligible. that season. I have heard 2nd semester eligibility, but have never seen it in writing. Just like everything going on with the NCAA the last 5 years, nothing is clear.  

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐