Iowa Losing Recruits???

There has got to be divide on the Iowa team over this, especially at 149 and 197. I would think the majority of the athlete's parents are not fans of the Ferraris.  With or without the Ferraris, Iowa is not going to beat Penn State in the forseeable future. The fan base can't be supportive of them and their antics.  I have a hard time believing  the AD and the coaching staff would risk alienating their fans, parents and athletes over a couple of athletes.  It doesn't make any sense.  You don't jeopardize the overall health and well-being of a legendary program for the unchecked impulses of two kids.

Edited by KLCarnegieTech_1969
  • Fire 3

I don't see what the fuss about them is anymore. AJ could probably make All American status, but in the day of the portal and NIL why take on the risk of blowing up your wrestling room with a known liability when you can just try to nab a high end transfer? Angelo is probably All American material potentially competing for a title as well, but you never know as he's still in high school. Anthony on the other hand doesn't seem like he could make the podium. I get that they're a package deal but they're certainly not the second coming that everyone thought they might be a couple of years ago.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, alex1fly said:

I don't see what the fuss about them is anymore. AJ could probably make All American status, but in the day of the portal and NIL why take on the risk of blowing up your wrestling room with a known liability when you can just try to nab a high end transfer? Angelo is probably All American material potentially competing for a title as well, but you never know as he's still in high school. Anthony on the other hand doesn't seem like he could make the podium. I get that they're a package deal but they're certainly not the second coming that everyone thought they might be a couple of years ago.

I think they were mainly interested in AJ for this year, when it was too late to get another transfer.  There are a ton of teams in the hunt for 2nd and he could give them an edge to get that.  But needs to wrestle a lot better than he did at the Soldier Salute

1 hour ago, KLCarnegieTech_1969 said:

There has got to be divide on the Iowa team over this, especially at 149 and 197. I would think the majority of the athlete's parents are not fans of the Ferraris.  With or without the Ferraris, Iowa is not going to beat Penn State in the forseeable future. The fan base can't be supportive of them and their antics.  I have a hard time believing  the AD and the coaching staff would risk alienating their fans, parents and athletes over a couple of athletes.  It doesn't make any sense.  You don't jeopardize the overall health and well-being of a legendary program for the unchecked impulses of two kids.

If they start to complain, Brands can just go into his "you have to earn it" spiel. 

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think they were mainly interested in AJ for this year, when it was too late to get another transfer.  There are a ton of teams in the hunt for 2nd and he could give them an edge to get that.  But needs to wrestle a lot better than he did at the Soldier Salute

Totally, he's no slouch. But there is a price to pay - he's a known creep on campus and could very well negatively impact other Iowa wrestlers' performances.

10 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

Totally, he's no slouch. But there is a price to pay - he's a known creep on campus and could very well negatively impact other Iowa wrestlers' performances.

Can Iowa spare an extra campus cop just to follow AJ, of course it might take 3 now as they prob dont hang out together all the time?  Did Tom know this was part of the deal when recruiting the F clan?  

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

True, but man that's A LOT of risk and potential downside just to finish 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I know okie state and George Mason are dry. Probably others, so not technically 99% but there are very view that are dry. (I bet and hope that becomes the norm; there’s plenty of drinking to do when you’re don’t competing) 

Oklahoma State is dry?  I had no idea.

NC State runs a dry program as far as I remember.

Just now, flyingcement said:

Oklahoma State is dry?  I had no idea.

NC State runs a dry program as far as I remember.

I forget where I heard it, but that is what I heard. George mason is zero tolerance so I believe you’re done if you get caught (they are upfront about it in recruiting which helps attract the right people).

I think 100% of coaches want a dry program but it’s easier said than done. Purdue was dry in season, which I assume is the case at most any school. 

2 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I forget where I heard it, but that is what I heard. George mason is zero tolerance so I believe you’re done if you get caught (they are upfront about it in recruiting which helps attract the right people).

I think 100% of coaches want a dry program but it’s easier said than done. Purdue was dry in season, which I assume is the case at most any school. 

Why is somebody who doesn't drink the right person? 

5 hours ago, ionel said:

But you think 99% are taking underage recruits out partying with underage college athletes and all are just turning a blind eye to this?  

Yes-at least they did a decade ago. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Why is somebody who doesn't drink the right person? 

Yes-at least they did a decade ago. 

Whether you drink or not, I don’t care. But most coaches would think drinking hurts athletic performance. But to your questions the ‘right person’ for George Mason is someone who doesn’t drink so they don’t have to kick them off the team. If they recruited people that drank aka “the wrong person” they would have to kick a lot of people off the team. Not kicking people off the team is a good thing, so people you don’t have to kickoff is good. 

8 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Unless it’s a brand new thing I’d be kinda shocked to find out OK State is a dry program based on a number of stories over the years.  

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Lurk_Nowitzki said:

Unless it’s a brand new thing I’d be kinda shocked to find out OK State is a dry program based on a number of stories over the years.  

I tried to find out from a friend, but they didn’t take a visit there. I honestly don’t know any rumors, but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. 

21 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I know okie state and George Mason are dry. Probably others, so not technically 99% but there are very view that are dry. (I bet and hope that becomes the norm; there’s plenty of drinking to do when you’re don’t competing) 

Yeah I don't how or why they'd be doing this.  Many/most campuses have gonna dry in sororities and frats because of underage kids present and plenty of other reasons.  Its not happening in campus dorms or housing same reasons.  Sure there's still stuff going on in off campus housing and we know underage kids are still getting into bars.  But is athletics and thus campus admin really allowing/condoning this for high school recruits.  We all know what used to happen but still today?  

6 hours ago, ionel said:

But you think 99% are taking underage recruits out partying with underage college athletes and all are just turning a blind eye to this?  

Yes, this is exactly what recruiting is built on, to the extent that most programs don’t have a playbook for kids that doesn’t really party that much.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

NC State definitely…and well enforced….and not in season but from cradle to grave….first day freshman year till you walk off campus…if Ok State does it, they have had a tought time enforcing it…won’t name names but quite a few athletes there have had trouble complying

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Whether you drink or not, I don’t care. But most coaches would think drinking hurts athletic performance. But to your questions the ‘right person’ for George Mason is someone who doesn’t drink so they don’t have to kick them off the team. If they recruited people that drank aka “the wrong person” they would have to kick a lot of people off the team. Not kicking people off the team is a good thing, so people you don’t have to kickoff is good. 

It's a significant overreach for a coach to police whether an athlete drinks or. not. Obviously drinking too much would hurt athletic performance, but some of the greatest athletes ever drink from time to time (this is an understatement). And of course, if you're showing up to practice or matches hungover, that is a problem. 

Should coaches decide whether athletes are allowed to have relationships? Obviously they would perform better if they only focused on school and wrestling.  What about policing exactly what an athlete eats? Should a coach be allowed to create a rule banning eating certain foods?

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Yeah I don't how or why they'd be doing this.  Many/most campuses have gonna dry in sororities and frats because of underage kids present and plenty of other reasons.  Its not happening in campus dorms or housing same reasons.  Sure there's still stuff going on in off campus housing and we know underage kids are still getting into bars.  But is athletics and thus campus admin really allowing/condoning this for high school recruits.  We all know what used to happen but still today?  

You really think people can't drink in their dorms? What do you think those minifridges that every college student brings to campus are for?

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1