Racist Wrestling Fans

23 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Wrestling in America has historically been more popular in rural / suburban places that have an appreciation for hard labor - whether agricultural or industrial.  Those communities have tended to be less racially diverse on average than urban communities which may lend to the stereotyping that wrestling is defined by being a racist community.  I would argue against that being the case, while also acknowledging, there may be a higher likelihood of minorities facing cultural challenges because of the natural demographics of the sport. 

Agree, however it does seem that wrestling, particularly at the elite level, is becoming more and more of a "wealthy" sport.   For example last year 3 of the 10 national champs (including one black one) were products of private high schools.   This could be yet another barrier to minorities achieving success.

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Wrestling in America has historically been more popular in rural / suburban places that have an appreciation for hard labor - whether agricultural or industrial.  Those communities have tended to be less racially diverse on average than urban communities which may lend to the stereotyping that wrestling is defined by being a racist community. 

But there's folks on these here boards claiming all of agriculture is worked by undocumented minorities.  🤔

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agree, however it does seem that wrestling, particularly at the elite level, is becoming more and more of a "wealthy" sport.   For example last year 3 of the 10 national champs (including one black one) were products of private high schools.   This could be yet another barrier to minorities achieving success.

now that the holidays are over I simply must point out that1032004 never bothered to message me privately, almost like he was only interested in grandstanding and didn't really care about what I thought, or the ideas we were discussing,

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

15 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Does that mean the athletes are wealthy?  Many of these private high schools are recruiting.

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

Agriculture is a relatively smaller share of the overall picture anyway - representing about 5% of our economy and 10% of our workforce.  

Only 5%?   Doesn't everybody eat?  Maybe its the whole vegan etc thing or America is getting skinny skip'n meals?  🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

The U.S. agriculture sector extends beyond the farm business to include a range of farm-related industries. Agriculture, food, and related industries contributed 5.4 percent to U.S. gross domestic product and provided 10.4 percent of U.S. employment; Americans' expenditures on food amount to 12.8 percent of household budgets, on average. Among Federal Government outlays on farm and food programs, nutrition assistance far outpaces other programs.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/ag-and-food-sectors-and-the-economy/#:~:text=Agriculture%2C food%2C and related industries contributed roughly %241.264 trillion to,0.7 percent of U.S. GDP.

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

now that the holidays are over I simply must point out that1032004 never bothered to message me privately, almost like he was only interested in grandstanding and didn't really care about what I thought, or the ideas we were discussing,

I do care what you think, but if you’re not interested in sharing your thoughts with the entire board after making declarations that certain actions are racist, no I don’t care to ask you privately

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

Does that mean the athletes are wealthy?  Many of these private high schools are recruiting.

Not necessarily but I’d say odds are yes

Edited:  maybe not “wealthy” depending on your definition, but at least upper middle class

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Edited:  maybe not “wealthy” depending on your definition, but at least upper middle class

Might be wrong but I doubt it.  High School Wrestling is just following the same trend that's been going on in Football and Basketball.  Look at the top HS f-ball & b-ball programs.  Majority are private and or catholic school institutions.  High School wrestling is just now finally getting with the times

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Might be wrong but I doubt it.  High School Wrestling is just following the same trend that's been going on in Football and Basketball.  Look at the top HS f-ball & b-ball programs.  Majority are private and or catholic school institutions.  High School wrestling is just now finally getting with the times

Correct but haven’t football and basketball also been majority minority for awhile? I have no idea, are a high % of the players on private school football and basketball teams on scholarships and how does that compare to the % of wrestlers on scholarships on private school teams?

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Correct but haven’t football and basketball also been majority minority for awhile? I have no idea, are a high % of the players on private school football and basketball teams on scholarships and how does that compare to the % of wrestlers on scholarships on private school teams?

This is a @Jason Bryant @Husker_Du kind of question 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

16 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Rich or wealthy are indeed relative definitions.

Let's not forget that many private schools offer scholarships and vouchers exist in many places to offset/subsidize costs. 

It's not a secret that top athletes tend to find their way into private schools if those private schools make athletics a priority. 

Good athletics programs are a recruiting tool for both private and public schools around the country. Finding a way for top athletes to get into your school is good business.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

Let's not forget that many private schools offer scholarships and vouchers exist in many places to offset/subsidize costs. 

It's not a secret that top athletes tend to find their way into private schools if those private schools make athletics a priority. 

Good athletics programs are a recruiting tool for both private and public schools around the country. Finding a way for top athletes to get into your school is good business.

In many, most ... ok at least a lot of states it is against state high school rules to recruit athletes.  As indicated above many do and its mostly the private schools.  Yes they are finding their way to bend and break the rules.  We all know its going on and why being in a private school isn't necessarily and indication of wealth and yes there are scholarships but that's different than recruiting and finding a way.   But who knows now with NIL, if a kid has value at the college level surely his image has value at the high school level and who says he/she shouldn't be compensated, correct?

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

the notion that american agricultural would come to a halt if not for illegal immigrants is almost as dumb as the climate hoax. 

North of 40% of all agriculture workers are illegal immigrants.   It may make some kind of a dent.  

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

the notion that american agricultural would come to a halt if not for illegal immigrants is almost as dumb as the climate hoax. 

The tomato industry in Alabama came to a halt when they tried this, so, yeah.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/14/alabama-immigration-law-workers

Or were you being sarcastic about this and the "climate hoax"?  In which case, props!

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Yes this was brought up earlier, I’m just skeptical wrestling teams are getting much of that scholarship money

On 12/26/2023 at 7:38 PM, 1032004 said:

Private schools tend to be more in line with the racial makeup of the USA than just about any public school.

21 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

All true.  Worth noting that Hockey is the #1 culprit.

• Fire 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:38 PM, 1032004 said:

While I agree with your overall premise, I'm not sure the "private school" piece is as big as some make it out to be.  I began my career at a high school that currently costs over $70,000 a year to attend (as a boarding student.)  We had kids who had almost nothing, and were there on Boys and Girls Club scholarships, or had been caught in war in Rwanda.  We had other kids who were the children of rockstars and royalty (literally.) 

You also have kids like Yianni and Spencer Lee.  Both went to public school, but by all accounts, both are from families that are doing very very well for themselves.  I'm sure there are plenty of others.