If I were Tom Brands....

Hammerlock3

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Iowa's injuries get held out more because of the perceptions about the Brands style.  As mentioned, lots of injuries in this sport, including at Penn State.  It's a tough sport.

And some of the same people who say that “brands works the hawks too hard” are the same people who are complaining about him being cautious with guys like Spencer, Woods, and Nelson. 

Hey! I thought Nelson was out for the year?

"If I were Tom Brands...."

...I'd smother that daughter in chocolate syrup and boogie till the cows come home.

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agreed. It is a sport where injury is a near guarantee, so we should not be surprised when there are injuries. The difference is probably that none of those injuries cost PSU a team title.

For Iowa in 2021 I think it is less about the fact of individual injury and more about them all happening together such that it cost Iowa a team title. Or at least that is the way some of the HR community see it. First, COVID stole their back-to-back in 2020, then injury stole it in 2021.

I don't think injury cost them a team title.  Wasn't it:

2020:  Their best team.  Legit juggernaut.  Covid wipes out NCAAs, definitely cost them a team title.

2021:  Same guys but lose likely finalist in Lugo, and (1) some injury issues; and (2) Penn State much better after very quick rebuild.  Iowa wins team title, but somewhat anticlimactic with only one champ and PSU with four, including two head to heads over Iowa.

2022:  Mostly same crew eligible, but Lee's 25 points wiped out by redshirt and Kemerer/Eierman/Cass injuries affect their placements.  But that likely costs them second rather than third with PSU's five champs and other points.

7 minutes ago, dragit said:

I don't think injury cost them a team title.  Wasn't it:

2020:  Their best team.  Legit juggernaut.  Covid wipes out NCAAs, definitely cost them a team title.

2021:  Same guys but lose likely finalist in Lugo, and (1) some injury issues; and (2) Penn State much better after very quick rebuild.  Iowa wins team title, but somewhat anticlimactic with only one champ and PSU with four, including two head to heads over Iowa.

2022:  Mostly same crew eligible, but Lee's 25 points wiped out by redshirt and Kemerer/Eierman/Cass injuries affect their placements.  But that likely costs them second rather than third with PSU's five champs and other points.

You are correct, I should have said HR feels injury stole it in 2022. It was the same core of guys from 2020 to 2022.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

40 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

between the no sense of humor and the insistance on crowbarring in a criticism implicit in the intial joke....this lady must be a lot of fun at parties.

Where do you think the term and name Karen became synonymous?

Her family coined it in vicious intent.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

between the no sense of humor and the insistance on crowbarring in a criticism implicit in the intial joke....this lady must be a lot of fun at parties.

That was a joke? It sounded out there enough to be something Brands actually said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are correct, I should have said HR feels injury stole it in 2022. It was the same core of guys from 2020 to 2022.

You are totally correct on those points.

And I think HR or anyone who thinks that about 2022 is wrong. 

Instead, Penn State is just better.  The writing was actually on the wall in the 2021 finals when Lee and Starocci reversed the Big Ten results against Eierman and Kemerer.  

There were no injury issues there.  And no significant talent discrepancy.  And it's got nothing to do with how much money Penn State has and whether Andrew Long's repulsive behavior and Ed Ruth's penchant for weed and Cael having thrown a chair reveal a program peopled by fallible human beings, which they are -- but they're also the best wrestling coaches for and in this era.

When Starocci beat Kemerer, to me the air came out of the balloon enough that the tide had turned (and whatever other mixed metaphors I can throw in).  Kemerer was a top PA recruit, terrific guy, had hit his stride that year, dominated Starocci at Big Tens, and lost to the freshman at NCAAs anyway.  When he gave up the TD in OT his body language was telling - the kid had made the adjustments and beaten him when it mattered.

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, dragit said:

You are totally correct on those points.

And I think HR or anyone who thinks that about 2022 is wrong. 

Instead, Penn State is just better.  The writing was actually on the wall in the 2021 finals when Lee and Starocci reversed the Big Ten results against Eierman and Kemerer.  

There were no injury issues there.  And no significant talent discrepancy.  And it's got nothing to do with how much money Penn State has and whether Andrew Long's repulsive behavior and Ed Ruth's penchant for weed and Cael having thrown a chair reveal a program peopled by fallible human beings, which they are -- but they're also the best wrestling coaches for and in this era.

When Starocci beat Kemerer, to me the air came out of the balloon enough that the tide had turned (and whatever other mixed metaphors I can throw in).  Kemerer was a top PA recruit, terrific guy, had hit his stride that year, dominated Starocci at Big Tens, and lost to the freshman at NCAAs anyway.  When he gave up the TD in OT his body language was telling - the kid had made the adjustments and beaten him when it mattered.

No injuries?  I seem to remember Kem having major shoulder problems no?

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

He’s referring to 2021, specifically the NCAA finals, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, no shoulder brace in March 2021.  He was wrestling terrific.  He beat Starocci 7-2 two weeks before in the conference final, and had four blowout wins (TF, TF, MD, 8-1) at NCAAs before the final match with Starocci, and had to be viewed as the clear favorite in that match.

58 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How's Levi doing BTW?  Is he the immediate championship threat that Mum promised?  If so, he could be worth some big points in March!

I think he is doing well?  I wasn't the ine who anointed him the next Nolf.  Do I think he could be that special?  Yes.  Do we need to see more from him before I would anoint him that?  Absolutely.

Do I also think that he would contend for AA this year?  Absolutely.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I think he is doing well?  I wasn't the ine who anointed him the next Nolf.  Do I think he could be that special?  Yes.  Do we need to see more from him before I would anoint him that?  Absolutely.

Do I also think that he would contend for AA this year?  Absolutely.

Let's let him become the starter first. 

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Who has been anointed the starter and where did the match take place?

Haines beat Bearclaw at the Keystone did he not?

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I just saw a 2-1 over the immortal Bearclaw and Black Knight.  I'll keep searching.

I think you are actually correct on the score.

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think you are actually correct on the score.

Ok. Thanks.  So no Keystone, but it looks like he beat Bearclaw 2-1 at Black Knight. 

Does anyone know where Bearcat Open results are to be found?  It looks like young Mr. Haynes may have lost a match there to a redshirt freshman from Northern Colorado with the moniker of "Vince Zerban."  Mr.  Zerban is currently ranked #46 by WrestleStat but it is a small sample size with a somewhat flawed algorithm.  I will say that it appears as if Coach Nickerson is on the right track out in the Rocky Mountains.

12 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Ok. Thanks.  So no Keystone, but it looks like he beat Bearclaw 2-1 at Black Knight. 

Does anyone know where Bearcat Open results are to be found?  It looks like young Mr. Haynes may have lost a match there to a redshirt freshman from Northern Colorado with the moniker of "Vince Zerban."  Mr.  Zerban is currently ranked #46 by WrestleStat but it is a small sample size with a somewhat flawed algorithm.  I will say that it appears as if Coach Nickerson is on the right track out in the Rocky Mountains.

Screenshot_20221128-120937_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5961709db2dd81376aac375f4b945f55.jpg

• Fire 1