Who should be #1 at 125?

Kozak asks a good question here.

edit:  shoot forgot Camacho already was #1, for some reason I thought he wasn’t.  I guess you kinda have to leave him there but he’s basically being rewarded for not wrestling at CKLV

Edited by 1032004

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

edit:  shoot forgot Camacho already was #1, for some reason I thought he wasn’t.  I guess you kinda have to leave him there but he’s basically being rewarded for not wrestling at CKLV

I wouldn't say he's being rewarded for not being there, as he was already @#1.  However, he didn't put it on the line this weekend.  I'm a pack fan, but wouldn't have a problem with him dropping in rankings.  Rankings are just someon's opinion anyway.

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

As far as Nico Provo: I have been told more than once on this board that Provo switching his commitment to Stanford from Cornell wasn't really a loss to the Big Red program 'because he would never start over Ungar or Greg D.'

Well, after having a great tournament this weekend, he has made it look like a big loss to Grey's program.  Either Koll knew this kid had greater potential than Ungar or he's received better coaching in Palo Alto.

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

As far as Nico Provo: I have been told more than once on this board that Provo switching his commitment to Stanford from Cornell wasn't really a loss to the Big Red program 'because he would never start over Ungar or Greg D.'

Well, after having a great tournament this weekend, he has made it look like a big loss to Grey's program.  Either Koll knew this kid had greater potential than Ungar or he's received better coaching in Palo Alto.

or its also possible it's early season and some folks haven't peaked yet. 

36 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

True, but that wasn't what I was hearing when I brought up Provo as someone Koll took with him.  I was hearing '3rd stringer at best, no big loss.'  

Not bad for a 3rd stringer.

Gosh, people improve.  Who might have guessed?

• Fire 2

Flo did it.  Provo to #1.  I don’t hate it.

Intermat again went the other extreme (like when they only put Crookham at #5 after beating Vito and Flo had him #1) and only put him at #4.   I don’t get keeping Figueroa ahead of him at this point considering he hasn’t wrestled at all.

Although the odd thing to me is with Crookham Intermat now put him #1.  If they didn’t have him above Fix before, not sure why beating Nagao puts him above Fix…

There are some weird things with Flo’s rankings but I’ll give them credit for trying to be consistent.  Intermat seems to include a bit more of “the eye test,” which is fine but can be harder to defend IMO.

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Flo did it.  Provo to #1.  I don’t hate it.

Intermat again went the other extreme (like when they only put Crookham at #5 after beating Vito and Flo had him #1) and only put him at #4.   I don’t get keeping Figueroa ahead of him at this point considering he hasn’t wrestled at all.

Although the odd thing to me is with Crookham Intermat now put him #1.  If they didn’t have him above Fix before, not sure why beating Nagao puts him above Fix…

There are some weird things with Flo’s rankings but I’ll give them credit for trying to be consistent.  Intermat seems to include a bit more of “the eye test,” which is fine but can be harder to defend IMO.

Earl definitely uses more of an eye test . Thats why you see young guys not ranked on Flo but you do on Intermat. Personally I think it would be hard ranking and not using the eye test but that's just me. 

Spencer Lee.

He is  petitioning NCAA for another year of eligibility and to classify last year as a  Medical Redshirt because his mother sprained her wrist twisting her glasses and he had to take her to a clinic so could not wrestle back to try for 3rd place.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

3 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Spencer Lee.

He is  petitioning NCAA for another year of eligibility and to classify last year as a  Medical Redshirt because his mother sprained her wrist twisting her glasses and he had to take her to a clinic so could not wrestle back to try for 3rd place.

Ya gotta let it go.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Spencer Lee.

why would he be #1? Coming off a 6th place finish and fall to ramos?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

If you disregard the allstar match, you could potentially have Noto as first.  Otherwise, I'd have Provo or Caleb Smith

why not Camacho? I know we aren't supposed to take freestyle into account, but he has beaten both of last year's finalists (teched Glory at the open). I understand not wanting to reward him for not competing at CKLV while the rest of his team did but he has been injury prone...

2 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

why not Camacho? I know we aren't supposed to take freestyle into account, but he has beaten both of last year's finalists (teched Glory at the open). I understand not wanting to reward him for not competing at CKLV while the rest of his team did but he has been injury prone...

For me I considered him as a duck for CKLV which would be equivalent to two and out.

Edited by flyingcement

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Ya gotta let it go.

Why?

Many of us still remember Danny Gable losing to Larry Owings. Some things never go away... like Ed Banach going for Four titles but Mark Schultz stopping him when he tried for his third.

Spencer & his mom's glasses will be there forever.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

51 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Why?

Many of us still remember Danny Gable losing to Larry Owings. Some things never go away... like Ed Banach going for Four titles but Mark Schultz stopping him when he tried for his third.

Spencer & his mom's glasses will be there forever.

I'm all about dragging up the past, but I try to keep it interesting and germane, you know, so it doesn't seem like an obsession.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I get the argument for Provo being #1 because Camacho did not show up for CKLV.  The main issue that I have is that other wrestlers are not held to the same standard.  

Interesting fact is that these two studs, Provo and Camacho, went to high school about twenty minutes away from each other in the wrestling hotbed of Connecticut.