Senior Nationals (US Olympic Trials Qualifier) - Dec. 15-17

SocraTease

Here is how I have the current crop of 97 KG gents tiered... and mind you it might be a bit 'off' but some of these guys are roofers... and some is speculation due to them not having much in results at the weight.

Also a disclaimer, these aren't rankings or projections.  The way I do my tiers (most know) is that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone defeat someone a tier above them or a tier below them.

Tier 1
Kollin Moore, Ohio - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 2
Nathan Jackson, New Jersey - New York Athletic Club

Tier 3
Eric Schultz, Illinois - Nebraska Wrestling Training Center
Jonathan Aiello, Virginia - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Jacob Warner, Iowa - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Anthony Cassioppi, Illinois - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 4
Timothy Dudley, South Carolina - Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club
Lou DePrez, New York - Bearcat Wrestling Club

Tier 5
Tyrie Houghton, North Carolina - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Morgan Smith, Washington - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Cole Mirasola, Wisconsin - Askren Wrestling Academy
Duncan Lee, Iowa - Cyclone Regional Training Center C-RTC

Other Entries
Eulogio Rosino Dalmeida, Nebraska
Austin Craig, Washington - 10 Year Active Athlete List
Eric Gamble, Pennsylvania
Sterling Hecox, Illinois

Edited by nhs67
  • Fire 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Here is how I have the current crop of 97 KG gents tiered... and mind you it might be a bit 'off' but some of these guys are roofers... and some is speculation due to them not having much in results at the weight.
Also a disclaimer, these aren't rankings or projections.  The way I do my tiers (most know) is that I wouldn't be surprised to see someone defeat someone a tier above them or a tier below them.
Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4
Tier 5
Other Entries
Sterling Hecox, Illinois
I'm just not sure if you're giving big Cass too much credit . I'm worried the offense, down a weight, might be too much . But otherwise, very fair
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, Spladle08 said:
17 hours ago, nhs67 said:
Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3
Tier 4
Tier 5
Other Entries
Sterling Hecox, Illinois

I'm just not sure if you're giving big Cass too much credit . I'm worried the offense, down a weight, might be too much . But otherwise, very fair

Cass has a U23 gold and bronze medal. He will be extremely powerful at 197. Should be interesting to see how he does down there. He will be shredded. 

• Fire 2

Does Cass have an actual weigh-in on Track from last season? I know he has transformed his body significantly but even if he was down to 240 last year then 213 is a brutal cut and if we are being honest it’s not like he has much experience with all that comes with cutting both pre and post weigh-in physically and mentally.

The irony of Cass shrinking himself and Warner finally eating for the first time in six years is top tier.

i am an idiot on the internet

55 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Does Cass have an actual weigh-in on Track from last season? I know he has transformed his body significantly but even if he was down to 240 last year then 213 is a brutal cut and if we are being honest it’s not like he has much experience with all that comes with cutting both pre and post weigh-in physically and mentally.

The irony of Cass shrinking himself and Warner finally eating for the first time in six years is top tier.

251 and change at B1Gs.  Year before he was 241 at the Collegiate Duals.

He trimmed down quick after his frosh year.  It was something like 30lbs in three months.  There was a video leading up to his U23 Gold of him at 232 and ripped/jacked.

My guess is he felt his power advantage diminish against the 255lb+ Kerk, so he wanted to add some size back or just didn't feel the need to be so light.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

251 and change at B1Gs.  Year before he was 241 at the Collegiate Duals.

He trimmed down quick after his frosh year.  It was something like 30lbs in three months.  There was a video leading up to his U23 Gold of him at 232 and ripped/jacked.

My guess is he felt his power advantage diminish against the 255lb+ Kerk, so he wanted to add some size back or just didn't feel the need to be so light.

Are you saying he tried to add weight last year? That fits with the eye test.

Still don't understand why he is cutting down to 97kg. Would be funny if entries change in the next few days and this all turned out to be an error

57 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Still don't understand why he is cutting down to 97kg.

He can't get past Steveson or Parris and Kerk and Hendrickson have firmly inserted themselves into the conversation. Might as well take a shot at giving the horsepower potential at 97. Cass would have been a multi-time NCAA champ, maybe even make a world team if he didn't wrestle during the heavyweight renaissance and he will never get the flowers he deserves.

i am an idiot on the internet

4 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Are you saying he tried to add weight last year? That fits with the eye test.

Still don't understand why he is cutting down to 97kg. Would be funny if entries change in the next few days and this all turned out to be an error

No not that he tried to add weight, just that he did add some back on.

Edit: A couple years ago NYAC missed on a bunch of the weights entered, when they entered.  They had ThugMassa G up at 86 KG (and that was one of the years he won 74 KG, too).  So it happens. 

Typically it is sponsoring teams that sign up, if they have them, because they pay the fee(s).

Edited by nhs67

7 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

He can't get past Steveson or Parris and Kerk and Hendrickson have firmly inserted themselves into the conversation. Might as well take a shot at giving the horsepower potential at 97. Cass would have been a multi-time NCAA champ, maybe even make a world team if he didn't wrestle during the heavyweight renaissance and he will never get the flowers he deserves.

What you say makes sense. I am just surprised that he is making the cut in a year where he was presumably planning on wrestling heavyweight. He probably learned about the impending suspensions around the same time that Brands did, sometime in May. Seems like he has trimmed a lot of weight since then 

8 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

What you say makes sense. I am just surprised that he is making the cut in a year where he was presumably planning on wrestling heavyweight. He probably learned about the impending suspensions around the same time that Brands did, sometime in May. Seems like he has trimmed a lot of weight since then 

The last time he trimmed down to 232lbs (there is/was video proof of him stepping on a scale for this) was in 2021, when he won the U23 World Championships - the final was a 13-0 THRASHING of a gent from Greece.  He weighed in at NCAAs that year at 263.  You're talking a few months between for 30lbs.

The history is there for him having done it already, so it shouldn't really be that much of a shock.  If he knew in May that is seven months.  Hell, even if he still planned on it, there were rumors of both him and Kerk descending towards 97 KG for Olympic Trials, anyways.  I don't remember if those were before or after.  Kerk has also trimmed off 15-20lbs and plans to get lighter, yet.

Another factor is perhaps he didn't like how he felt last year (~255lbs) compared to two years ago (~240lbs).  Come May he might have already been back to 240.  What is 10-15lbs from there in even a few months for a big guy?  It isn't like he is going to walk around at a weight he has never walked around at.  I imagine his walk around is in the 230-235lb range leading up and he plans to cut from 225 to 97 KK (213.8lbs).

The last time he trimmed down to 232lbs (there is/was video proof of him stepping on a scale for this) was in 2021, when he won the U23 World Championships - the final was a 13-0 THRASHING of a gent from Greece.  He weighed in at NCAAs that year at 263.  You're talking a few months between for 30lbs.
The history is there for him having done it already, so it shouldn't really be that much of a shock.  If he knew in May that is seven months.  Hell, even if he still planned on it, there were rumors of both him and Kerk descending towards 97 KG for Olympic Trials, anyways.  I don't remember if those were before or after.  Kerk has also trimmed off 15-20lbs and plans to get lighter, yet.
Another factor is perhaps he didn't like how he felt last year (~255lbs) compared to two years ago (~240lbs).  Come May he might have already been back to 240.  What is 10-15lbs from there in even a few months for a big guy?  It isn't like he is going to walk around at a weight he has never walked around at.  I imagine his walk around is in the 230-235lb range leading up and he plans to cut from 225 to 97 KK (213.8lbs).

What?

Kerk weighed in at 254.something for the Lehigh dual.

He’s never clocked in at more than 260, IIRC. And, only times he’s ever been “light” were when he was coming back from a staph infection that hospitalized him, his freshman year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Le duke said:

What?

Kerk weighed in at 254.something for the Lehigh dual.

He’s never clocked in at more than 260, IIRC. And, only times he’s ever been “light” were when he was coming back from a staph infection that hospitalized him, his freshman year.

Per what DT was talking about he was currently 15lbs less than last year and wanted to get a little lighter.  Being as he weighed in at 256.2lbs at B1Gs, I took that as him being ~241.2lbs from DT himself.

It's the last day to register if you want to be seeded.   I see zero guys from the Penn State's starting lineup registered.   I thought the plan (set forth by Cael) was to create a light schedule at the beginning of the year so that guys could train and compete to qualify for Olympic Trials.

Thus far, no Bartlett, no Kerk, no Starrocci, no Truax, no Van Ness (out with injury), no one.   BB, Truax, GK, and even CStarr can't simply assume they will win NCAAs and get the automatic qualifier.  

There are actually a few recruits registered—e.g., Sealey, Nasdeo, the Mirasola brothers.

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 2

It's the last day to register if you want to be seeded.   I see zero guys from the Penn State's starting lineup registered.   I thought the plan (set forth by Cael) was to create a light schedule at the beginning of the year so that guys could train and compete to qualify for Olympic Trials.
Thus far, no Bartlett, no Kerk, no Starrocci, no Truax, no Van Ness (out with injury), no one.   BB, Truax, GK, and even CStarr can't simply assume they will win NCAAs and get the automatic qualifier.  
There are actually a few recruits registered—e.g., Sealey, Nasdeo, the Mirasola brothers.

I’ve seen them register with minutes to go for previous events.

That said, I don’t think many of them care if they are seeded or not.

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Starocci can, and does, assume he will just win NCAAs. Has said this was his plan.

• Fire 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

57 KG is interesting to me in the sense that it appears to be much less exciting with the current entries.  You gents know and understand how I like to do my tiers... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone lose to someone one tier below them or defeat someone one tier above them.  What makes 57 KG interesting is that because of there being seemingly nobody in Tier 3, that it essentially makes it a Three Horse Race, even if I see Lee as a tier above.  What is also neat/interesting is that I don't see anybody from the next tier (Tier 4 because Tier 3 is empty) losing to anyone else currently entered nor do I see them challenging the Tier 2 gents.  So aside from a deck, injury, or someone's fiance cheating on one of them... 57 KG is pretty boring.

Tier 1
Spencer Lee, Iowa - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 2
Nick Suriano, New Jersey         
Nico Megaludis, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 3
<EMPTY>

Tier 4
Brandon Courtney, Arizona - Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club
Luke Lilledahl, Missouri - X-Calibur Athletics Wrestling Club
Cooper Flynn, Tennessee - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Joshua Rodriguez, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Daniel DeShazer, Kansas - Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC
Liam Cronin, Nebraska - Nebraska Wrestling Training Center

Tier 5
<EMPTY>

Other Entries
William Sprouse, California - Central Valley High School Wrestling
Jakob Lyons, Oklahoma         
Lee Celestino, Texas - Cowboy/Cowgirl Wrestling Club
Cael Nasdeo, Pennsylvania - Nittany Lion Wrestling Club
Devan Turner, Indiana - Indiana RTC
Michael Beets, Kentucky - Knights RTC
Benyamin Kamali, Michigan - Olivet Wrestling Club
Peter Del Gallo, Maine - South Side Wrestling Club

• Fire 3

So Semi finals are Lee, Mega, Suriano, and some unnamed lower tier person.   That guy will have a lot to celebrate, especially if he gets in the finals.   He may even hold up a sign after winning that says nhs tiers suck!!  I'm living proof. 

My guess is that won't happen, the win or the sign.  Ha.

mspart

7 minutes ago, mspart said:

So Semi finals are Lee, Mega, Suriano, and some unnamed lower tier person.   That guy will have a lot to celebrate, especially if he gets in the finals.   He may even hold up a sign after winning that says nhs tiers suck!!  I'm living proof. 

My guess is that won't happen, the win or the sign.  Ha.

mspart

These would be my tiers - my own.  They hold no weight insofar as seeding purposes.  If they are using that jacked up PIN format, Lee might not even get the 1st seed again. 🤣

• Fire 1

65 KG is also interesting and deep AF.  Mind you, I am human and might have messed up a bit here.  I am okay with that.

I already hear the "Kolodzik just beat DeSanto" crap.  A ) DeSanto had already wrestled two badass matches that day and Kolodzik hadn't wrestled at all.  B ) They're within one tier, so that is perfectly explainable.

I just don't see anyone on McKenna's level right now.  I only think Alirez, DeSanto, or Pantaleo will even (potentially) give him a match.  Pantaleo is also an unknown.  I am putting him there on faith and faith alone.  Eierman could also end up being Tier 3, but he just hasn't looked like he has since his injuries started piling up - much like Kemereerererrerr.  Tier 3 is jacked.  I could see any of them taking second... or DNP.

Seeding will play a huge part in this.  McKenna likely gets the #1 seed, right?  He could see Alirez, DeSanto and Pantaleo all before the finals.  That would be wild and greatly reduce his chances at winning the tournament.

Tier 1
Joseph McKenna, New Jersey - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 2
Andrew Alirez, Colorado - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Austin DeSanto, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Alec Pantaleo, Michigan - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 3
Patricio Lugo, Florida - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Matthew Kolodzik, New Jersey - New York Athletic Club
Beau Bartlett, Pennsylvania - Nittany Lion Wrestling Club
Luke Pletcher, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Seth Gross, Minnesota - Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club
Anthony Ashnault, New Jersey - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Ian Parker, Virginia - Cavalier Wrestling Club

Tier 4
Michael McGee, Illinois - Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club
Dean Heil, Oklahoma - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Aden Valencia, California - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Jaydin Eierman, Missouri - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Tyler Kasak, Pennsylvania - Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

Tier 5
Christian Monserrat, Massachusetts - New York Athletic Club

Other Entries
Chase Daudelin, New York         
Aydin Matanane, Oklahoma         
Nathaniel Johnson, Arizona         
Jawid Azimi, Texas - Paradigm Wrestling
Chandler Mazur, Colorado - Cornerstone Wrestling Club
Grant Martsolf, Indiana         
Henry Porter, Indiana - Indiana RTC
Timothy Levine, California - Nittany Lion Wrestling Club

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

57 KG is interesting to me in the sense that it appears to be much less exciting with the current entries.  You gents know and understand how I like to do my tiers... I wouldn't be surprised to see someone lose to someone one tier below them or defeat someone one tier above them.  What makes 57 KG interesting is that because of there being seemingly nobody in Tier 3, that it essentially makes it a Three Horse Race, even if I see Lee as a tier above.  What is also neat/interesting is that I don't see anybody from the next tier (Tier 4 because Tier 3 is empty) losing to anyone else currently entered nor do I see them challenging the Tier 2 gents.  So aside from a deck, injury, or someone's fiance cheating on one of them... 57 KG is pretty boring.

Tier 1
Spencer Lee, Iowa - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 2
Nick Suriano, New Jersey         
Nico Megaludis, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)

Tier 3
<EMPTY>

Tier 4
Brandon Courtney, Arizona - Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club
Luke Lilledahl, Missouri - X-Calibur Athletics Wrestling Club
Cooper Flynn, Tennessee - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Joshua Rodriguez, Pennsylvania - Titan Mercury Wrestling Club (TMWC)
Daniel DeShazer, Kansas - Gopher Wrestling Club - RTC
Liam Cronin, Nebraska - Nebraska Wrestling Training Center

Tier 5
<EMPTY>

Other Entries
William Sprouse, California - Central Valley High School Wrestling
Jakob Lyons, Oklahoma         
Lee Celestino, Texas - Cowboy/Cowgirl Wrestling Club
Cael Nasdeo, Pennsylvania - Nittany Lion Wrestling Club
Devan Turner, Indiana - Indiana RTC
Michael Beets, Kentucky - Knights RTC
Benyamin Kamali, Michigan - Olivet Wrestling Club