Cy-Hawk Thread

On 11/22/2023 at 9:21 AM, peanut said:

ESPN and the UFC going in on college wrestling is a huge opportunity. I hope that the NCAA realizes this and is open to reforms that will make the sport better for fans. The three-point takedown is a great experiment. Hopefully kids will compete in big televised matches this year rather than duck.

The UFC should have been in on college wrestling from the start, it’s got to be one of their biggest pools of potential incoming talent. 

Love to see it 

16 hours ago, JimmyBT said:

Thought Brands said he’s with FB until after their bowl game ???  Something change.  

Nothing more than a friend of a friend’s uncle’s brother’s dentist’s tarot card reader’s rumor. I don’t believe it, but the person who brought it up is not one to typically fall for dumb stuff. Thus the “all the salt in the Appalachian Mountains” requirement.

i am an idiot on the internet

13 hours ago, Le duke said:

Will Dresser do the Dresser Bump, and send out Feldkamp at 197, and Naakgteboren at 184?

Seems like a great way to secure some extra, likely points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They mentioned this on FRL...  This seems like a lower likely floor, but also lower likely ceiling.   They're probably expecting 5 or 6 from Feldkamp at 184, with Broderson having a shot to win at 197.   But in the bump scenario they're probably maxing out at 6 between the 2 weights.

Edit:  And Naakgteboren isn't even a sure thing against Swafford...

Edited by 1032004

125 lbs: #17 Drake Ayala (Iowa) vs. #8 Kysen Terukina (Iowa State) IA-0/ISU-3
133 lbs: #8 Brody Teske (Iowa) vs. #19 Evan Frost (Iowa State) IA-3/ ISU-3

141 lbs: #1 Real Woods (Iowa) vs. #19 Anthony Echemendia (Iowa State) IA-7/ISU-3
149 lbs: #9 Victor Voinovich (Iowa) vs. #14 Casey Swiderski (Iowa State) IA-7/ISU-6

157 lbs: #2 Jared Franek (Iowa) vs. #18 Cody Chittum (Iowa State) IA-10/ISU-6
165 lbs: #5 Michael Caliendo (Iowa) vs. #2 David Carr (Iowa State) IA-10/ISU-9

174 lbs: Gabe Arnold (Iowa) vs. #21 MJ Gaitan (Iowa State) IA-13/ISU-9

184 lbs: #30 Brennan Swafford (Iowa) vs. #6 Will Feldkamp (Iowa State) IA-13/ISU-12

197 lbs: #22 Zach Glazier (Iowa) vs. #24 Julien Broderson (Iowa State) IA-13/ISU-15
285 lbs: Bradley Hill (Iowa) vs. #7 Yonger Bastida (Iowa State) IA-13/ISU 20

I believe it's mostly momentum and home gym advantage for ISU after 184.
Woods/Echemendia holds some interest. Ech has been beating people and wrestled at ISU last season. But it's Woods and he's the best in the nation at this weight class..
Voinovich/Swiderski is interesting. Voinovich transferred in from OKST. Voinovich has been tough to watch and scores as little points as possible. Swiderski only lost to Woods 3-2 last year and has a bit of an attitude. I like him. Both teams need this one.
Chittum spent a year training in Iowa City and then transferred to ISU. Interesting bout here against a very good Franek.
Gabe Arnold has been wrestling in place of PK and wrestling well. He's good and just beat Wittlake in Carver Hawkeye. He'll have a tough atmosphere in Ames and against Gaitan. Still expect him to win.
Bastida has moved up to 285 and has been scoring boatloads of points so far.

Edited by MPhillips

Okay here are my last minute predictions

125: Terukina dec Ayala 3-0

133: Teske dec Frost 3-3

141: Woods dec Echemendia 3-6

149: Swiderski dec Voinovich 6-6

157: Franek dec Chittum 6-9

165: Carr dec Caliendo 9-9

174: Kennedy dec Gaitan 9-12

184: Feldkamp dec Arnold 12-12

197: Glazier dec Broderson 12-15

285: Bastida major Hill 16-15 Cyclones