How Long Will Bono Last at Wisconsin?

ThreePointTakedown

10 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Smith and Bono are both Italian. Smith’s mother is Italian, Bono is an Italian name. Bono would fit in well at Rutgers

Well, Dennis Hopper did explain the migration and assimilation of the Moors to Italy to Christopher Walken in True Romance.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Mizzou gets a commitment from #19 in the country outta Wisconsin tonight. I do not know much about him, but glad to have him. Was Bono after him? 

IMG_0055.jpeg

No. Danny declined the "Clear Coat" and Bono wouldn't sign off on the deal. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I am sorry to say I think you are missing out in the fundamental concept of what it means to be American.

You seem to be confident in your way of thinking. That's OK.

Mine very much differ from yours. That's OK, too. You believe your way and I'll believe mine.

And... listen carefully... THAT is exactly the most fundamental concept of what it means to be American.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

... listen carefully... THAT is exactly the most fundamental concept of what it means to be American.

I’m on board with the concept of people coming together as individuals for a collective cause that they believe in and support.

Adhering to dated delineators with the stated goal of emphasizing differences is not something I’m supportive of.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:44 PM, MizzouFan01 said:

Mizzou gets a commitment from #19 in the country outta Wisconsin tonight. I do not know much about him, but glad to have him. Was Bono after him? 

IMG_0055.jpeg

Well here in Wisconsin all we hear is that AWA kids do not go to Wisconsin but I think but not positive that DH is not an AWA wrestler, so another swing and miss for Wisconsin

If there is one thing Wisconsin AD Chris McIntosh has proven, is he won't hesitate to pull the trigger on under preforming coaches (I.E. Cryst, Granato) 

Bono is on extremely thin ice; Mac wants all of his programs to be competitive in the Big 10. If they do make a move, I don't think Reader is your guy, young kids at home, doesn't want the HC job (just my opinion)

They cast a wide net on this one, Does Donny P come back and finally get the job he was promised at one point, do they look at an AWA connection? (Max Askren, Becker from Parkside?) or a wild card Dake, Taylor, Burroughs? 

The next coach would be walking into a program with maybe the worst D1 wrestling room I have ever see, although there are rumblings that they are getting a new room in the new football complex they are building.   

Who knows what's going to happen, but the Bono experiment has failed. 

1 hour ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Well here in Wisconsin all we hear is that AWA kids do not go to Wisconsin but I think but not positive that DH is not an AWA wrestler, so another swing and miss for Wisconsin

He thanked Ben Askren for working with him the past few months.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Pritzlaff would make a lot of sense if they moved on from Bono

Problem being Macintosh was around when Pritzlaff took the interview at Michigan while still employed at UW.  I don't know if Macintosh would still hold that against him.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

Problem being Macintosh was around when Pritzlaff took the interview at Michigan while still employed at UW.  I don't know if Macintosh would still hold that against him.

DP left UW after the 10/11 season. 

Mac was hired by UW in 2014 

Should not be an issue. 

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Pritzlaff was at Wisconsin the same time as Mac as an athlete. I doubt they haven’t crossed paths

I'm sure they did, he was referencing when DP was the associate HC and took an interview at Michigan 

Mac was not part of UW athletics at that time, he was working a private sector job

The rumor is Barry Alverez held a grudge against DP and would not consider him when Bono was hired. 

On 11/21/2023 at 11:34 PM, Le duke said:

When Hamiti came in, I thought this dude was a sure fire NCAA champ. He was lighting people up. Dynamic, funky.

Now? I don’t think he’ll place higher than 4th. He’s the same wrestler he was in 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

165 has been a buzz saw lately. Wouldn't doubt that 3 or 4 non-finalist in the last few years would be top of the podium in other eras. Hope they all stay healthy and can follow it up on the international scene like Tay-Dake-Oughs. Watching these guys tear it up for the next few cycles would be fun! That's wear Hamiti might be able to get over the hump. 

For it to really make a difference the coach will have to be someone who has magnetic pull as an athlete and is really buttoned up as a coach.  Historically,  Big ten programs really suffered from getting caught in the old gable way of hating life and breaking yourself to pieces to “wrestle hard”.  Much of that seems to have left college wrestling, but Barry David was the last one to push it bigtime, and I don’t see how Bono and reader have really moved on from that.  They have a lot of what looks like injuries and burnout from a stressful room.  The only other to places that visibly hang onto that philosophy I can think of are OSU and Iowa.  

There kinda seems to be a dearth of well-prepared coaches right now, likely bc the current crop of international competitors has gone so long.  Who can you bring in that is magnetic enough to overhaul the vibe of the program?

You can’t clone Askren, and I think he cares about his Athletes and his independence too much to take the job, but who else has that sort of vibe?

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...