Did You Wrestle in College?

moodybooty

I won a jv tourney in grade school and kind of down hill after that.   But I was not smart enough to see that I should have moved on. 

At least there is a silver lining for those of us who stayed too long: it is an interesting sport where you meet and get to know interesting people - and witness many wrestlers doing heroic things.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

I wrestled at Purdue for 3 years! I was a good HS wrestler who unfortunately was more interested in partying and being the man at night, not in the room, once I hit college. 

The lifestyle is incredibly demanding. 3 lifts, 7 practices, and individuals throughout the week in season. You don’t go home for winter break or summer vacation. You have to live and breathe Wrestling or you’re going to have a very bad time. 

Looking back I’m filled with lots of regret, but Ersland and Purdue wrestling helped shaped the man I am… it is what it is. I don’t drink now to make up for the lost time. 

Edited by FanOfPurdueWrestling
  • Fire 7

Wrestled at Penn 1989-1993. Mostly known for being injured - I broke my foot, blew out my left ACL and broke my jaw during my sophomore, junior and senior years, respectively. College and college wrestling was the most fun I never want to have again.

Better GR/FS wrestler than Folk. Dabbled in open meets until my work career took me to FLA in 1998 and effectively ended my wrestling career

• Fire 8

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

I gotta be honest, in my head I assumed that most of the board was former college guys and that my career wouldn't stack up, looks like D1 backup isn't as far down as I would have thought, also kudos to anyone else that did it, it is a ton of work, and the talent level is so far above high school

• Fire 7

I wrestled in high school, and loved the experience and how it molded me.  However I was never a champion, and never would have been considered college level material.

So I was initially going to answer no to the thread's question, but now that I see people are including their intramural experiences, I guess I did have a brief collegiate experience the one time I entered the intramural tournament (I went 1-1).

• Fire 2

I struggled in high school in the greater Cleveland ,Akron area in Ohio. I was 16 starting my senior year. Highest finish in any tournament was 3 rd. Missed going to state by one match. My district was tough . State champ ,3rd and 5th place finishers ( I finished 4th). In college attended a Junior college. Had 50 wins. Placed 2nd at CKLV Tournament to Joe Tice. Qualified for nationals twice. Placing 6th. Went into coaching wrestling. Did well. Lots of state champs and 2 all-American's. At 41 I laced the shoes up  and along with taking 60 youth wrestlers from our state entered in the Open Div. at the AAU Nationals. After several wins and a pin I was in the finals against a 2 time Div.1 all-american and NCAA Champ Keith Stearns . Lost to Keith 4 to 2 in overtime in the finals.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word
  • Fire 8

Had the opportunity to wrestle in college, in the PAC-10 conference (there were 10 schools at that time).  Got to travel the country and even wrestle overseas.  It was the toughest 5 years of my life is some ways but also the best 5 years of my life in others.  Still haunted by some ghosts of "what if" but thankful for all the experiences.  Got to wrestle at NCAA's 3xs and had the opportunity to be pinned by Cael at the 2001 NCAAs in Iowa City.

I know my GPA and studies suffered due to all the energy I put into wrestling.  However, if I was to be honest with myself I know I would have focused that energy into some other non academic venue if I hadn't wrestled.  😄

Edited by Warm Up Champ
  • Fire 9

Second post, as I enjoy the discussions but usually lack the knowledge to add anything substantive.  Was a pretty decent HS wrestler, but never placed at the state tournament.  In college, walked on at one of the academies (not hard to do back then).  Survived as a wrestling room dummy for a year and a half.  While I cut weight in HS, soon realized it was at a different level in college. Plus the academics and life at the academy were taxing enough for me.  However, will never forget my time in the wrestling room with HOF’er coach Ed Peery and Captain (USMC) Lloyd Keaser, who was an assistant coach as he trained for the 76 Olympics.  Sidebar story - Keaser was also a PE instructor who we had for self defense instruction - a perfect fit!  This day the lesson was escaping from a front choke hold.  Recognizing me from the wresting room, he selected me to demonstrate on.  However, he was the one to apply the front choke hold and I was to escape.  Needless to say, I am happy to still be alive today!

Edited by hoosierdj
  • Fire 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hoosierdj said:

Second post, as I enjoy the discussions but usually lack the knowledge to add anything substantive.  Was a pretty decent HS wrestler, but never placed at the state tournament.  In college, walked on at one of the academies (not hard to do back then).  Survived as a wrestling room dummy for a year and a half.  While I cut weight in HS, soon realized it was at a different level in college. Plus the academics and life at the academy were taxing enough for me.  However, will never forget my time in the wrestling room with HOF’er coach Ed Peery and Captain (USMC) Lloyd Keaser, who was an assistant coach as he trained for the 76 Olympics.  Sidebar story - Keaser was also a PE instructor who we had for self defense instruction - a perfect fit!  This day the lesson was escaping from a front choke hold.  Recognizing me from the wresting room, he selected me to demonstrate on.  However, he was the one to apply the front choke hold and I was to escape.  Needless to say, I am happy to still be alive today!

Graat memory. I say after you have cut weight made it through hundreds of grueling practices and wrestled against tough competition everything else seems a little easier.

• Fire 6

Started wrestling as a FR in HS. Had many injuries derailing my SO/JR years, but managed to place at state my SR year (D1 Wisconsin). I wrestled D3 for 1 season. Being made of glass and struggling to balance schoolwork + social life with athletics caused me to lose my fire for competition. 

• Fire 5

I started 4 years at Penn competed twice in the NCAA tournament. In 1975 I won my first round match and separated my shoulder defaulting out. It was the first injury and first time I ever missed a match because of one. I lost in the NY state finals to Jack Spates. I'm a big supporter of Penn wrestling and I'm on the EIWA Hall of Fame committee. 

• Fire 13

Surprisingly, I found myself at the state level during my first two years, even though I lost 65% of my matches – there's even amusing video evidence featuring rat tails and tears. Despite the rocky start, I managed to go undefeated and clinch the 8U title.  I medaled in even-aged years moving forward.

I considered myself a technical wrestler, understanding many moves but struggling with the sheer strength required for high school competition, especially at 135lbs (14 years old) and 145lbs (15 years old). Puberty and weight changes brought some success at 160lbs and 171lbs, which led to the humbling experience of getting pinned in the state finals.  

My claim to fame is beating a guy in high school who beat a guy in high school who beat Ben Askren in college.

I opted for college baseball closer to home, choosing a path near my sweetheart. I later transferred to a D1 school and represented my fraternity in intramural wrestling. I dabbled in local high school and club coaching.  I've had my fair share of humbling moments, whether facing college wrestlers at Old Timer tournaments, participating in alumni events, or last Tuesday at club practice.

My son quit wrestling after two seasons and three competitions... I thought, 'This is life'... then my gymnast daughter started wrestling as a sophomore and loves it.  The opposite of me, she wins from strength rather than technique. 

• Fire 4

7 hours ago, Paul158 said:

I struggled in high school in the greater Cleveland ,Akron area in Ohio. I was 16 starting my senior year. Highest finish in any tournament was 3 rd. Missed going to state by one match. My district was tough . State champ ,3rd and 5th place finishers ( I finished 4th). In college attended a Junior college. Had 50 wins. Placed 2nd at CKLV Tournament to Joe Tice. Qualified for nationals twice. Placing 6th. Went into coaching wrestling. Did well. Lots of state champs and 2 all-American's. At 41 I laced the shoes up  and along with taking 60 youth wrestlers from our state entered in the Open Div. at the AAU Nationals. After several wins and a pin I was in the finals against a 2 time Div.1 all-american and NCAA Champ Keith Stearns . Lost to Keith 4 to 2 in overtime in the finals.

Coach Stearns was a beast. His son Austin, 4x Mo state medalists and finalist and I attended the same high school. I’m a couple years older, but Coach Stearns  used to whip all of us daily in the room. 

• Fire 4

Yup. Loved it. Never won a title so it was a bit of a bust at the time(never really came all that close).

In the years since I realized as I see old teammates a couple of times a year and then saw my Cousin have much more success than I did and then my 2nd Cousin who's only a 7 years younger had a WHOLE lot more success and do well at the D1s, I accomplished more than just my Win-Loss record. They knew it was possible.

Got school paid for, lifelong friends... experiences. 

• Fire 6

Started out playing D1 Soccer.

Transferred to another university .

Based on the timing of my transfer I could only play one more 

season of soccer.

I decided to concentrate on my grades.

I knew a couple of the guys on the wrestling team.

Started working out with them just to stay in shape.

Ended up being a walk on for the team.

Had enough eligibility to wrestle D1 for 2 seasons.

But, my dad made me maintain a 3.5 to stay on the team.

Never got injured till me senior year. 

Tore cartilage in one knee and separated a shoulder.

Still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

• Fire 5

6 hours ago, scourge165 said:

lifelong friends... experiences. 

High school and college. There's nothing better than wrestling teammates for friends.

My favorite story involved a wrestling teammate in college who put up posters around campus advertising a match between a bear and me at a local mall. Peer pressure being what it was, I agreed. When the time came, I showed up in my sweats, headgear and singlet, but the bear was a no-show. The mall manager said that he had stepped on glass the week before at another mall and therefore had to forfeit. Man 1, Beast 0. 

• Fire 4

11 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Coach Stearns was a beast. His son Austin, 4x Mo state medalists and finalist and I attended the same high school. I’m a couple years older, but Coach Stearns  used to whip all of us daily in the room. 

Yes to say the least i was a little surprised to find out Keith Stearns  (NCAA Champ) was in my bracket. He was very tough. I took him down in the first period 2 to 0. In the second he got a reversal in 2 to2.  3 rd period I took down but I could not escape. Tied 2 to2 . Overtime. Late in the first period he took me down . Keith won 4 to 2.  Good match.

• Fire 2

I was a three year starter at Virginia Tech. I had the pleasure/displeasure of Kevin Dresser being our GA, lol. With me being a 134/142 lber,  Coach Dresser beat the crap out of me everyday for one year.  On a serious note, Coach Dresser is a great man and did apologize years later for the "lessons" he taught me, lol.  I grew up in the Hampton Roads area, it was a very good area for high school wrestling in the 70s/80s/90s.

• Fire 6

Wrestled d3 for 3 years until I got hurt.  Doctor said if I want to be able bodied later in life it was time to retire.   I was 0.500 spot starting for a top 10 team nationally.   Was never a threat to AA or anything like that.   Someone made this joke earlier so I’ll steal it as it was good …..    best thing I never want to do again.   

this was the late 90s and the weight cutting was brutal.  Hopefully they don’t cut like that any more.  I don’t let my son cut weight. I help coach the local kids team.  

• Fire 4

Come from a wrestling family where I was battling my dad for 3rd string on the family team.  Good HS career and lucky enough to start for a couple of years (about .500 record) at a low-level D1 school which has greatly improved and now pops into the rankings from time to time.  We had 1 NCAA qualifier in my 4 years there.  They now have at least 3 or 4 a year.  Was very dedicated in HS (FR/GR, Cedar Falls, working out in off-season, etc.), but once conference tourney in college ended (I never sniffed NCAA qualification) my only lifting was the 12 and 40 oz. variety until September.  My college experience set me up for a nice professional career and I did a lot of catching up on the social side of things since I was a lightweight (literally and figuratively) in HS.  I had a funky/unique style that I wish I would’ve developed more in the off-season, but that’s life.  Still follow wrestling now where I live.  Would like to get more involved when my younger kids get older (older son was not really interested), but we’ll see what they want to do.         

• Fire 7

On 11/9/2023 at 8:54 AM, Gus said:

No D1 offers for me. Wanted to study mechanical engineering so did not want to go D2/D3/NAIA route which were the only schools that recruited me. No club wrestling team at my college but that would have been fun. 

Sooooo I'm guessing you that's why you became a Jackrabbit....

54 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Sooooo I'm guessing you that's why you became a Jackrabbit....

Yes sir! Strongly considered the D3/NAIA offers that I had but felt like it would not be in my best interest since I wanted to pursue engineering. It all worked out though.

• Fire 1