Iowa Preview

Maxwell Smart

Killdozer put out stats responding to the 5 best teams in the last 10 years post that help make the point of underachieving. No conference titles and 6 national champions. Mr PeanutButter made some excellent points in his response. Yes, there are injuries we don't know the full extent of, but the 4 wrestlers listed that were highly touted recruits and came up short could easily double with some thought. Didn't opine that the Brands brothers needed to go, just don't understand the adulation from the Intermat writers. The rabid fan base is understandable.

1 minute ago, Maxwell Smart said:

Killdozer put out stats responding to the 5 best teams in the last 10 years post that help make the point of underachieving. No conference titles and 6 national champions. Mr PeanutButter made some excellent points in his response. Yes, there are injuries we don't know the full extent of, but the 4 wrestlers listed that were highly touted recruits and came up short could easily double with some thought. Didn't opine that the Brands brothers needed to go, just don't understand the adulation from the Intermat writers. The rabid fan base is understandable.

It is not that hard to figure out. Are you a Penn State fan? If yes, then you would not want to change places with Iowa. If no, then you would want to change places with Iowa who has been the clear #2 team since Tom took over. 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

@Wrestleknownothing?  Can you work your magix with this one?

I might suggest using Flo's until approximately three (3) years ago and then going with Brain's.  Just a gut feeling there.

My kingdom for recruiting class rankings data.

Flo has 2022 and prior years behind their paywall and I am no longer a Flo subscriber.

As for the Brain, are those on his Rokfin? I did not see them on Intermat.

1 hour ago, Maxwell Smart said:

No conference titles in the last ten years?

14 hours ago, nhs67 said:

@Wrestleknownothing?  Can you work your magix with this one?

I might suggest using Flo's until approximately three (3) years ago and then going with Brain's.  Just a gut feeling there.

In the last half dozen years, among teams that have been in the top 20 recruiting rank per Flo at least four times, Iowa is indeed second, @Mr. PeanutButter

image.png.5cf3cf5e72650d78607b294f7293f803.png

• Fire 2

On 10/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, Maxwell Smart said:

The first topic I addressed in this forum was how intermat is in love with the Brands brothers and I didn't understand the adulation based on the lack of results in the last 13 years. Kevin Claunch writes they "THRIVE off your negative vibes" and "they get STRONGER with every negative thought about Iowa and are MASTERS at motivating their athletes when it's THEM against the world." The staff gets the best out of their talent, which is generally seems to be why talent goes there. Look at their record! No NCAA team titles in 14 years, finished 3rd and 4th several times, top recruits and transfers never became individual champions, several years with NO individual national champion. The fan base readily accepts that they're the 2nd best team and crow about it. There was a time when what Kevin Claunch wrote was 100% accurate, but it hasn't been that way since Dan Gable. The Brands brothers are entertaining but aren't the great coaches they get credit for being. IMO.

I’m not an Iowa fan but this reads like hot garbage. Everyone wants to place first but placing second is a massive success in any sport at any level. And yes this forum does love talking about Iowa, as an OK State fan I wish we had that level of participation but we need some better things to talk about besides speculation on new guys and what the heck went wrong with the Ferraris. 

I hate these kinds of threads anyways. Nobody is forcing you to like Iowa or read Iowa fan commentary. 

Edited by alex1fly
  • Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sounds like a real barn burner.

VV does not generate much offense. Goo defense and really good at riding on top. I believe this is the first match Ferrari has wrestled in over 2 years. 

3 hours ago, Laxhawk174 said:

3 stall calls on Voinovich (2 in neutral 1st period, 1 on top 2nd period) giving Ferrari 2 points, and 1 escape point for Voinovich. 

So the Ferrari got riden out but there was no riding time point? 

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Good point.

Against D1 competition he has gone 3 straight without a TD, but is still 2-1 in that stretch as he has also not allowed a TD.

Can he keep it up for the entire season? God, I hope so.

With the new 3pt td rule he doesn't want appear greedy, gonna win Iowa old school way.