Takeaways from the NCWA All-Star Match?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Lots of great matches.  I was happy to see Mizzou get two wins.   Haven't seen many woman's matches in a while and was very impressed.

I agree with someone else's comment, they'd have preferred a bigger crowd.  Lots of easy ways to accomplish that and promote more interest in the sport (especially in Texas.)

Lastly, as someone who was very frustrated with the horrible Flow broadcast of the Mizzou-Arizona State dual, this broadcast and commentary was significantly better. 

• Haha 1

Lots of great matches.  I was happy to see Mizzou get two wins.   Haven't seen many woman's matches in a while and was very impressed.
I agree with someone else's comment, they'd have preferred a bigger crowd.  Lots of easy ways to accomplish that and promote more interest in the sport (especially in Texas.)
Lastly, as someone who was very frustrated with the horrible Flow broadcast of the Mizzou-Arizona State dual, this broadcast and commentary was significantly better. 

Flo didn’t have the Mizzou-ASU dual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

O'toole dominating Hamiti is surprising (at least on paper).  How did that go?

I’m not sure it is really surprising.  Hamiti is a very good wrestler but not a title contender.  

It went easy TD for O’Toole 15 seconds in and rideout for the rest of the period.  More of the same in 2nd and 3rd.  Hamiti never close to anything.

• Fire 1

Besides the PSU guys looking dominant..Elam showed me something..he can be a nightmare matchup for anyone (hopefully on opposite side of Max).  O'Toole the varsity version of Hamiti.  McKee was a mismatch on paper and it showed.  Carr/Monday, worst match..neither guy attempted a real shot.  Matthews did nothing, glad Alairez got the win.  Gomez/Sasso fun match..Sasso just gassed in 3rd I guess.  

• Fire 1

Glad to see the East West All Star match return.....lot's of great matches....I look through the matches and hard to pick just 1, 2, or 3 favorites.......Starocci/Lewis, Kerkvliet/Cassioppi, Carr/Monday, O'toole/Hamiti, Brooks/Keckeisen, Gomez/Sasso.......good tests for these guys too to see where they're at right now.  Fadz

6 minutes ago, Pish said:

Besides the PSU guys looking dominant..Elam showed me something..he can be a nightmare matchup for anyone (hopefully on opposite side of Max).  O'Toole the varsity version of Hamiti.  McKee was a mismatch on paper and it showed.  Carr/Monday, worst match..neither guy attempted a real shot.  Matthews did nothing, glad Alairez got the win.  Gomez/Sasso fun match..Sasso just gassed in 3rd I guess.  

Matthews never attempts offense against the top guys. Very boring to watch. 

• Fire 1

I was surprised at how easily Gomez turned up the heat on Sasso in the 3rd round. Took him down several times with ease it seemed like.

O'Toole put any Hamiti upset talk to rest.

Kerk was dominant on his feet against big Papa Cass. 

The Elam-Warner match may have went to OT, but Elam was clearly the better wrestler. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

My takeaways:

O'Toole is the best wrestler in the NCAA this year.  That includes Spencer, Yianni et al.  He's the man.  Completely dominated every second of his match with a game Hamiti.  He is terrific in every position and his defense is even better.  I said after his loss his freshman year that he would never lose again.  Now I'd be a lot of money on it.  

Brooks looked bigger, stronger and just completely superior to Keckiesan.  He's at a different level.

I don't see Mekhi ever beating Carter.  Carter stalked him the entire match and I don't think Mekhi even got a shot off let alone scoring on one.  Carter is better on bottom and much better on top.  Rode Mekhi easily.  

Elam has leg attacks, Warner doesn't. Credit to Warner for funking out of a shot and taking it to OT but Elam is the better wrestler imo.  

Cass just kept walking right into Kerk's low level attacks and had no answer in terms of a counter.  Kerk started to gas but not enough to make a difference.

Gomez's knee pull shot is one of the best in the game.  Once he knew he needed to score he just turned up the heat and got to his offense.  How can you not like this kid's style of wrestling?

Alirez just kept attacking.  He's the man right now at 141 which seems like a weak weight overall.

• Fire 3

I was disappointed in the Carr vs Monday match. I was hoping for some explosive action yet didn't see anything. Monday backed up most of the time and only took one half shot the entire time. Just waited for Carr to do something and wanted to re-attack.

My other observation is that Penn State is GOOD ON TOP.  Wow.

4 minutes ago, Jax said:

I was disappointed in the Carr vs Monday match. I was hoping for some explosive action yet didn't see anything. Monday backed up most of the time and only took one half shot the entire time. Just waited for Carr to do something and wanted to re-attack.

My other observation is that Penn State is GOOD ON TOP.  Wow.

You can thank Mr. Cunningham for that.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Jax said:

I get the history of Monday v. Carr, but it should have been Carr vs O'Toole last night.  Keegan's match v. Hamiti was not as close as the 7-1 final.  I think when he got in on a deep shot and O'Toole turned it into his takedown in about 2 seconds, Hamiti realized he was in over his head.

I though Elam was in full control besides the final minute of regulation.  He got careless on top and gave up the reversal, then he took an ill-advised shot late that turned into Warner's two.  You like to see the aggressiveness, but if he wrestled smarter then it should have finished 5-2.  Flo has Elam at #2 this morning.  As far as I know he hasn't wrestled Dean in college, but he has beaten him in freestyle.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

I was surprised at how easily Gomez turned up the heat on Sasso in the 3rd round. Took him down several times with ease it seemed like.

Don't be surprised. Sammy is in a struggle with the weight. Ryan is locking him in his basement over Thanksgiving. 

He wrestled two great periods dominating Gomez. He even scored in Gomez's wheelhouse, going over under with an inside trip. The best five minutes Sasso has wrestled in awhile. And yes, I know wrestling is seven minutes. 

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I know you love when Pyles and Bader do the talking...:classic_wink:

A pair of chimpanzees who've been strategically shaved and stuffed in human clothing, carrying on in hoots, grunts and whistles.

I've got 20" box fans that make more wrestling sense when turned to 'High'.

The acorns that drop onto my roof and make a soothing xylophone like bink, bonk, boop on the way down provide more insight into the upcoming wrestling season than the likes of these ding dongs.

Edited by Mike Parrish

My main takeaways:

-- Gomez is streaky but for real.  He level-jumped big time.  When he turned it on against Sasso, he was unstoppable -- 3 TDs in 30 seconds.  No one takes Sasso down like that. I see Gomez mailing it in a couple more times this season for a couple more losses but winning a NCAA finals barnburner with Yianni. 

-- Brooks is as good as any wrestler in college right now.  I'd love to see him and Taylor in the PSU room.  Toss in Dake and Starocci, and the PSU room is the only place Brooks is going to find any competition this year at all.

-- Kerkvliet will win an NCAA title this year.  He has the same offense he showed last year, plus extra size and strength.  He won't lose to Iowa again and he's now good enough to beat the ASU kid too.

Edited by BAC

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

A pair of chimpanzees who've been strategically shaved and stuffed in human clothing, carrying on in hoots, grunts and whistles.

I've got 20" box fans that make more wrestling sense when turned to 'High'.

The acorns that drop onto my roof and make a soothing xylophone like bink, bonk, boop on the way down provide more insight into the upcoming wrestling season than the likes of these ding dongs.

That's an insult to Ding Dongs.   😁

mspart

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

My takeaways:

O'Toole is the best wrestler in the NCAA this year.  That includes Spencer, Yianni et al.  He's the man.  Completely dominated every second of his match with a game Hamiti.  He is terrific in every position and his defense is even better.  I said after his loss his freshman year that he would never lose again.  Now I'd be a lot of money on it.  

What are you seeing that would make you say that?  I agree he looked excellent last night but... Hamiti is good but not THAT good.  I think O'Toole's a coin flip at best against Carr (I'd pick Carr), and only slightly better odds against Griffith.  He has no senior level credentials to speak of.  PFP, I don't see how he's in the same conversation as Lee, Brooks, RBY or Yianni (despite his loss), and personally I'd have at least Fix and Starocci ahead of him too.  But I know you've been around the block so I'm curious what makes you put him above all the other multi-time champs and senior world medalists.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

What are you seeing that would make you say that?  I agree he looked excellent last night but... Hamiti is good but not THAT good.  I think O'Toole's a coin flip at best against Carr (I'd pick Carr), and only slightly better odds against Griffith.  He has no senior level credentials to speak of.  PFP, I don't see how he's in the same conversation as Lee, Brooks, RBY or Yianni (despite his loss), and personally I'd have at least Fix and Starocci ahead of him too.  But I know you've been around the block so I'm curious what makes you put him above all the other multi-time champs and senior world medalists.

I would take Lee, Brooks, RBY and Starocci  over O'Toole pound for pound right now... Maybe Yianni depending on how the season shapes up. There is a long way to go - looking forward to some of those 165 matchups. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐