PJ Duke Commitment

Nittanychris

I think Duke is 49/57 so he will find his way into that line up with no doubt. i see him as a 4 year starter as well. let's not forget, he has 2 years of high school wrestling left and the option to shirt before he straps up a PSU singlet. plenty of time for the current roster to play out, and Duke makes is debut for the 2026-27 season. 

• Fire 2

50 minutes ago, Nittanychris said:

As to where, I’m quite confident that Cael and company will have a plan.

Wow, how insightful.  

That's a nice tool all Nittany Lion fans can use throughout different areas of their lives.  Rather than coming up with any thoughts of your own, just say "I'm quite confident that Cael and company will have a plan."

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I wonder if this still remains fun for normal Penn State fans.  Not the winning titles on the mat, I'm sure that's great but just how often top recruits pick them.  At some point does it become old hat?  We've never seen anything like this.

I am too new a fan to know the answer, but did Iowa ever have a recruiting run like this under Gable?

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am too new a fan to know the answer, but did Iowa ever have a recruiting run like this under Gable?

I imagine it is hard to determine that criteria.  There weren't near as many recruiting 'ranking' services nor was wrestling as widespread.  The only way to rank them would be on collegiate performance in many cases.  In some you could say they were developed because they weren't that good in HS... meaning not many titles or medals, but not as many as you might think?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

26 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

In that era they had the money to put kids on scholarship just to keep the other program from getting them.  Part of the reason NCAA went to 9.9.  Then we got some parity ... for a while. 

19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I imagine it is hard to determine that criteria.  There weren't near as many recruiting 'ranking' services nor was wrestling as widespread.  The only way to rank them would be on collegiate performance in many cases.  In some you could say they were developed because they weren't that good in HS... meaning not many titles or medals, but not as many as you might think?

Yes, cause effect is difficult. During the Gable years their AA's average 2.3 per wrestler. Does that mean they came in ready to AA? Or did they get coached up to AA? Or both?

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yes, cause effect is difficult. During the Gable years their AA's average 2.3 per wrestler. Does that mean they came in ready to AA? Or did they get coached up to AA? Or both?

Both mixed in with Iowa was in it's prime 'Iowa-style' days and the desitination spot for all that wanted to succeed at the highest of levels.  In short, they didn't need to recruit as heavily due to Gable being there.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

38 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Honestly I don't know, and I wasn't watching back then to experience it, either.  I started watching college wrestling in like 2001ish and got really into it in like 2005.  Iowa had that great run w/ Metcalf and Co., but the recruiting wasn't like this.

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Wow, how insightful.  

That's a nice tool all Nittany Lion fans can use throughout different areas of their lives.  Rather than coming up with any thoughts of your own, just say "I'm quite confident that Cael and company will have a plan."

Ha ha! Bitter, party of one, your table is ready!

32 minutes ago, ionel said:

In that era they had the money to put kids on scholarship just to keep the other program from getting them.  Part of the reason NCAA went to 9.9.  Then we got some parity ... for a while. 

There are basically no scholarship limits right now.  The only limit is how much money the "boosters" have.  We are in an era where PSU is getting nearly all the top recruits.  It seems there is no way all these top kids are going to all be able to crack the lineup, but we are assured that Cael has a plan. How much of this plan is to keep studs from scoring points for other teams?

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I wonder if this still remains fun for normal Penn State fans.  Not the winning titles on the mat, I'm sure that's great but just how often top recruits pick them.  At some point does it become old hat?  We've never seen anything like this.

I doubt that any Iowa fans and Ok State fans stopped having fun when they had their historical runs that were both LONGER and more SUCCESSFUL than Penn State's current run.

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

There are basically no scholarship limits right now.  The only limit is how much money the "boosters" have.  We are in an era where PSU is getting nearly all the top recruits.  It seems there is no way all these top kids are going to all be able to crack the lineup, but we are assured that Cael has a plan. How much of this plan is to keep studs from scoring points for other teams?

Yes, that's why I said "for a while."  Cael would've won occasionally at Iowa St, he is just that good of coach, but we had parity.  Sure JRob  & Tom B had figured out ways to get extra wrestlers but what Cael did at PSU was well beyond this and all this was well before NIL.  PSU was even beyond what Gable was able to do back in the era before the 9.9 limit.

• Fire 1