Twitter is better

jross

9 hours ago, mspart said:

I got my data from US sources.   It is not that difficult to find the actual facts. 

Google - US covid deaths by age   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Google - US covid cases by age    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1254271/us-total-number-of-covid-cases-by-age-group/

These searches will give you the data I showed above earlier.    All it does is show a gross picture of what is happening.   The numbers are big.   Only when you calculate the rates do you begin to see the underwhelming truth of how horrible it wasn't.   Granted it put a lot of people under.   But most of those were older and/or susceptible to disease due to comorbidities.   The young meaning 50 and younger generally had nothing to fear from Covid.   But the hysteria over it does not share that reality.   If you had it, and entered society, you were walking death for everyone around you, as personified by Rachel Maddow.   The actual fact of the matter is that, no you weren't.  

The actual fact is if you had it, most people you contacted would not get it.   Of those unfortunate enough that would get it, very very few would succumb. 

Many people that died in the early stages died of dehydration and malnutrition because they were in the hospital and no one wanted to go near because it was almost certain death to do so.  

Saying that, the first version was deadlier than later versions as the virus lost its virulence as it mutated as predicted by rational people.   Irrational people continued to think it was existential to the point that they wanted 6 month olds vaccinated.     

My mother died in early Feb 2020 of pancreatic cancer.   Just before the covid shutdown.   We buried her end of Feb and made ready for a memorial for her where she lived in a retirement place.   I prepared a short eulogy and was told no one from the outside was allowed in the bldg.   This was early Mar 2020.   I said, ok, and sent them the eulogy that they could share with all the residents who were friends with  my mom.   I heard nothing so I called a week later and within those few days, the facility was completely shut down and residents were not allowed to leave their apartments.  The memorial was never done.   I feel very blessed for me and my sisters and brother that my mother died before all that and I feel like it was a blessing for her also.    How horrible that time was for elderly folks who fell ill. 

We could only hold a funeral where extended family could come in Aug 2020.   We were on our way when we got a call from someone that said my daughter had covid.   So we stopped in LaGrande Oregon and asked my sisters what they thought.   They were all above 60 and one with diabetes.   They each in their own way said not to come.    So I missed meeting with my cousins and siblings and extended family because of that.   We watched it on youtube live in the hotel room.   My daughter never showed any symptoms.   We stayed the night and headed back home the next day.  My boys were scared to death to be around her.   The hysteria had gotten to them.  Remember, young people had nothing to fear from covid but they were indoctrinated that it was certain death to get it.   They had to be in a separate hotel room from her because of that.   The ride home in the same car was tense.   She stayed with me and my wife that night. 

My niece got covid in NYC in 2020 where she lived and had difficulty breathing for days.   Unless near death, she was told not to come to the hospital.   She recovered but it was a tough bug.   She got the first wave.  

Students at UW at a certain apartment bldg got covid and they were locked down.   None died.  Few showed symptoms.  Granted that is anecdotal, but that was the experience nationwide.   Young people could get it but it either showed no symptoms or was a mild to bad cold. 

mspart

Really good post. Thanks.

But I am a little concerned about your "perception" vs the "reality" of what was happening along the way.

From the very beginning, when you and I and many others were discussing Covid on these forums - one of the hottest topics was fatality. It was generally accepted at being somewhere around 1.5%, and also generally accepted as being skewed heavily toward older folks and others at high risk. As more data was collected that range, rather quickly dropped to closer to 1-1.25% - still skewed the same way toward higher risk folks. As you mentioned, later variants were less fatal - and the data collected showed that the fatality rate dropped even lower to below 1%. It was a positive trend in an otherwise bleak time.

A few people bitched and complained that the data wasn't perfect. Which, of course, it wasn't. But it was the best we were able to do at the time. We didn't have any better mechanisms for collecting counts, so we made what we had work.

Younger people were not impervious. It is true that statistically speaking, their risk of dying was much, much lower than those considered at risk. But, make no mistake, young people did get infected and died. Especially at the beginning.

Once the vaccine became available - the question was a simple one. Take your chances with Covid with, or without a vaccine shot. There was no right or wrong answer. Some of my family members chose the vaccine, others didn't. Some of my friends and coworkers chose the vaccine, others didn't.

Most all of those that I personally know who passed from Covid, passed in 2020 and early 2021. Thankfully things have changed a great deal since then, and the death rate has dropped drastically.

At the time, in 2020 and 2021, President Trump was pro-vaccine. Your opinion may vary - but I'm glad he was pro-vaccine, that he implemented Operation Warp Speed, that he got himself vaccinated and boosted, and that he recommended others get vaccinated as well.

In 2020, it seemed like the pandemic might never end. I am thankful that we've gotten to a point where the transmission level is low, the fatality rate is very low, and we are able to go about our normal daily lives.

My question is, for those that think there wasn't covid-hysteria, or there isn't still...can you explain all the people who continually walk around with masks on?  Why are people still testing?  Why the push to get your 100th booster?

I know some have the cavalier attitude of well it's "different now" and "we did the best we could with what we knew at the time" and don't even get me started on how covid deaths were counted.  All the things that were said by the experts in the VERY beginning of Covid held true and have played out true but somewhere along the line people went WAY overboard with the mandates.  I know some on here like to forget how this all actually played out but in the very beginning they said it adversely effects people over a certain age and those with comorbidities.  They said for those people to stay home, mask and/or social distance.  Oh...how about "flatten the curve"??  All of those things turned into massive shutdowns, business closures, kids missing out on once in the lifetime opportunities, people couldn't say goodbye to loved ones, caused massive inflation and foods and goods shortages, etc.  People want to forget about it and say "why talk about the past" b.s....but people need to be held accountable!!  I know...I know they won't...and I know some on here will never admit they are wrong and will continue to post a bunch of dribble skirting around the facts to somehow make themselves feel better.  And the Fauci's of the world will never get held responsible for the massive lies and hysteria they caused.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Here's the thing - I'm NOT saying this a year ago, I posted this yesterday.

• So, go on about how you didn't address the data a year (or more) ago. 
  • Then, go on about pro-covid-hysteria types on here.
  • Then, wake up and snap out of it - and you'll realize you're talking about the past.

Nobody is covid hysterical here. Get your shit together. It's Aug 2023.

This has got to be the funniest post of all time....oh to be able to go back and revisit the Covid posts...LOL!!!  Weakest argument ever..."it's now man...who talks about the past?"  

I know....I know...now you will call me names, PM me, get your undies all in a bunch, etc., etc.

Dude...just admit you were wrong...it's very freeing.  Don't worry...no one will think less of you as a man, or whatever you chose to identify as.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12390725/Doctor-PBS-says-people-start-masking-amid-small-Covid-uptick-HOME.html

No she's not hyperbolic.   She's just very concerned as we all should be.   😉   And yes this in Aug 2023.   

This is an example of bringing out the old standby and trying to scare people without real cause.   Eris covid strikes easy as is expected with virus evolution, but is much less deadly.   Same old play really. 

mspart

56 minutes ago, mspart said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12390725/Doctor-PBS-says-people-start-masking-amid-small-Covid-uptick-HOME.html

No she's not hyperbolic.   She's just very concerned as we all should be.   😉   And yes this in Aug 2023.   

This is an example of bringing out the old standby and trying to scare people without real cause.   Eris covid strikes easy as is expected with virus evolution, but is much less deadly.   Same old play really. 

mspart

What are you talking about, this makes sense, follow the science.  No one has caught Covid while wearing a mask in their house by themselves or while driving a car alone while wearing a mask.  I challenge you to find a peer reviewed published research article that shows this isn't true.  😷

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

What are you talking about, this makes sense, follow the science.  No one has caught Covid while wearing a mask in their house by themselves or while driving a car alone while wearing a mask.  I challenge you to find a peer reviewed published research article that shows this isn't true.  😷

The mask in the car always got me. That is some serious fear. So much so, I don't know how they function.

But then there are a lot of frightened people out there. If it wasn't going to be Covid, it was going to be something else. I just keep reminding myself that everyone is dealing with something.

I got together with a childhood friend I do not see very often. He told me his wife still would not leave the house until they have a cure for long Covid. I thought it really isn't about Covid, is it?

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

25 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The mask in the car always got me. That is some serious fear. So much so, I don't know how they function.

Although i have to admit if I were on Mars I would wear a mask (prob more) in the car/rover.  So maybe we are too harsh and some folk just see our atmosphere different than other folk.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Although i have to admit if I were on Mars I would wear a mask (prob more) in the car/rover.  So maybe we are too harsh and some folk just see our atmosphere different than other folk.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I always forget that angle. 

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

One thing Covid exposed in a very demonstrative way is the hypocrisy on both sides when it comes to ‘my body my choice’

That one is a tougher nut to crack.

It is, in comparison, very much like the abortion debate. Maybe in reverse'ish.

Then again, not every problem has a solution. Many don't.

Even politicians aren't dumb enough to take a side over a problem that has no solution.

17 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

My question is, for those that think there wasn't covid-hysteria, or there isn't still...can you explain all the people who continually walk around with masks on?  Why are people still testing?  Why the push to get your 100th booster?

I know some have the cavalier attitude of well it's "different now" and "we did the best we could with what we knew at the time" and don't even get me started on how covid deaths were counted.  All the things that were said by the experts in the VERY beginning of Covid held true and have played out true but somewhere along the line people went WAY overboard with the mandates.  I know some on here like to forget how this all actually played out but in the very beginning they said it adversely effects people over a certain age and those with comorbidities.  They said for those people to stay home, mask and/or social distance.  Oh...how about "flatten the curve"??  All of those things turned into massive shutdowns, business closures, kids missing out on once in the lifetime opportunities, people couldn't say goodbye to loved ones, caused massive inflation and foods and goods shortages, etc.  People want to forget about it and say "why talk about the past" b.s....but people need to be held accountable!!  I know...I know they won't...and I know some on here will never admit they are wrong and will continue to post a bunch of dribble skirting around the facts to somehow make themselves feel better.  And the Fauci's of the world will never get held responsible for the massive lies and hysteria they caused.

People walk around with masks on in low transmission areas because:

• They are at high-risk, due to health reasons, and just prefer to not take any more risk. (Which I applaud.)
  • They tested and are infected, and they prefer not to infect anyone else. (Which I also applaud, even more.)
  • ... and for the same reason dogs walk around carrying their stuffed toys. If it makes them feel better, all good.

Call it "hysteria" if you must - but it really isn't. You need to be nicer to your fellow human beings.

It's just people being people. We're all imperfect and are trying to do the best we can. Fauci did a pretty good job, btw.

You may post here like you're better than the rest of us... but you're really not. We're all imperfect, just doing our best.

If you are really worried about "hysteria" - read your post above, it does fit the definition.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, Bigbrog said:

This has got to be the funniest post of all time....oh to be able to go back and revisit the Covid posts...LOL!!!  Weakest argument ever..."it's now man...who talks about the past?"  

I know....I know...now you will call me names, PM me, get your undies all in a bunch, etc., etc.

Dude...just admit you were wrong...it's very freeing.  Don't worry...no one will think less of you as a man, or whatever you chose to identify as.

Thank you. Thanks for that.

"Funniest post of all time" - I've got to thank the parents, my family, my wrestling team members and coaches. So many to thank. I think I'm running out of time... thanks to Bigbrog for nominating me and peace to all you, my audience. Thanks!

9 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

I agree with you 100% - that is a crazy internet article.

So - safe to say - ignore the "dailymail.co.uk" because it's internet garbage.

On the other hand, follow the actual US medical professionals on their legitimate web sites. It's not crazy city there.

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

But then there are a lot of frightened people out there. If it wasn't going to be Covid, it was going to be something else. I just keep reminding myself that everyone is dealing with something.

I got together with a childhood friend I do not see very often. He told me his wife still would not leave the house until they have a cure for long Covid. I thought it really isn't about Covid, is it?

This one used to get me, too. Until a close friend explained that she would double-mask (I don't know why - maybe here masks were too thin, or maybe she was just super defensive) and at the end of the workday she would only take one mask off. It felt comfortable enough that she forgot she was wearing it on her drive home.

Meh - like I said in an earlier post, dogs sometimes carry around stuffed animals to make them feel better. That's all good.

I don't see a reason to judge.

I just let them be them.

30 minutes ago, jross said:

Remember when you couldn’t talk about this on Twitter?  X is better.

No - I don't remember that. I never really posted on Twitter and haven't at all on ... current Twitter.

(Which some think we're supposed to call 'X' but basically nobody really does, except maybe...)

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I agree with you 100% - that is a crazy internet article.

So - safe to say - ignore the "dailymail.co.uk" because it's internet garbage.

On the other hand, follow the actual US medical professionals on their legitimate web sites. It's not crazy city there.

Except they reported on a PBS interview with Dr Katelyn Jetelina that said these things.   She, the Dr, is part of the actual medical professionals and she actually said these things.   You may read her saying the same thing here:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/rising-covid-hospitalizations-point-to-another-summer-surge-in-infections

Is this also an internet garbage website?  

mspart

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, jross said:

I’m somebody.  

If you followed Twitter before the acquisition, you would understand how much better X is.  

You are, indeed, somebody. Which is why I added that part to my post...

19 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No - I don't remember that. I never really posted on Twitter and haven't at all on ... current Twitter.

(Which some think we're supposed to call 'X' but basically nobody really does, except maybe...)

That's the post you were responding to. You responded to the 1st half and ignored the 2nd half.

I did my part to be inclusive. You were included. 

Geez, this 'woke' crowd that believes in 'X'... you guys can be rough. But I'm including you just the same.

10 hours ago, mspart said:

Except they reported on a PBS interview with Dr Katelyn Jetelina that said these things.   She, the Dr, is part of the actual medical professionals and she actually said these things.   You may read her saying the same thing here:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/rising-covid-hospitalizations-point-to-another-summer-surge-in-infections

Is this also an internet garbage website?  

mspart

PBS is as solid a source as we get. I just read the article. Seems like a good article. 

I didn't read anything that was particularly "scary" or alarming in any particular way.

What part of "said these things" are the one/ones you have a problem with?

Here's a guy you should consider following, you may recognize him from his TV appearances, etc.

Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH | CIDRAP (umn.edu)

If you have doubts about any particular internet poster, it may be a good idea to check them against Osterholm.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:43 PM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH | CIDRAP (umn.edu)

If you have doubts about any particular internet poster, it may be a good idea to check them against Osterholm.

Unfortunately, and, as you likely know, by the 30 percenters he was lumped in with Fauci, in terms of his knowledge of epidemiology and virus spreading.  

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!