Virtriol and Name Calling On These Boards

Husker_Du

it's getting rowdy in here and i love it. 

i also love the fact that no one is up in arms about name calling and belittling. we're adults and you're all acting like it.

things get heated and y'all, for the most part, let it roll off your backs.

as much as we fight and bicker, i'm sure if we all got together we'd enjoy each other's company.

so, thank you guys for fighting peacefully and having thick skin.

honestly, this is the kind of environment we can (imo) be pretty proud of. 

• Fire 4

TBD

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i also love the fact that no one is up in arms about name calling and belittling. we're adults and you're all acting like it.

as much as we fight and bicker, i'm sure if we all got together we'd enjoy each other's company.

All good.

But a side note - your sig is "Jason Bryant works here."

Does he really? From what I've been told, it seems he doesn't at all. Inquiring minds want to know.

All good.
But a side note - your sig is "Jason Bryant works here."
Does he really? From what I've been told, it seems he doesn't at all. Inquiring minds want to know.

People still thought I worked at USAW a decade after I left (and I only worked there for 3 years). Was my sig on the old board, then when this opened up, people assumed (incorrectly) I also was working again for InterMat/this board. Then Willie put it in his sig in a poor attempt to annoy me … I’m fine with that.
  • Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

1 minute ago, Jason Bryant said:

People still thought I worked at USAW a decade after I left (and I only worked there for 3 years). Was my sig on the old board, then when this opened up, people assumed (incorrectly) I also was working again for InterMat/this board. Then Willie put it in his sig in a poor attempt to annoy me … I’m fine with that.

So ... you don't work?  🤔

21 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Thanks Shorty.   It's nice that most of these dweebs aren't overly sensitive.  

• Fire 2

22 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

Thanks Shorty.   It's nice that most of these dweebs aren't overly sensitive.  

We certainly are a bunch of mostly short insensitive dweebs.  The thin skinned sensitive dweebs with normal looking ears are on the basketball and USWNT soccer forums ('scuse me, fora).

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:30 PM, Husker_Du said:

I got reamed by a few very weak individuals for using the word 'cunt' too often.  I had to start using the term 'turdbiscuit' instead.

It was disappointing.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

17 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

My Brit friends use that word often and unapologetically...

I use it all the time unapologetically.

I never did apologize.  I just used a different word.  Any toon in their right mind knows precisely what I mean when I say turdbiscuit and that is a win.

19 hours ago, MPhillips said:

My Brit friends use that word often and unapologetically...

It is worthy of more study. What's OK in some places and not in others.

Some Europeans I know freely use the word Cafard (translated from French = cockroach) for black people.

It's not taken well in areas of southern Europe and Africa, seen like a very brutal insult there. Kind of like 'nigger' here.

If most any of the women in my life hear me use the C-word... even here, that might end in tragedy (mine.)

I guess it's all about perspective.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:21 AM, nhs67 said:

I use it all the time unapologetically.

I never did apologize.  I just used a different word.  Any toon in their right mind knows precisely what I mean when I say turdbiscuit and that is a win.

I know who you are talking about when you say turdpastry but I'm never quite sure when you say turdbiscuit.  🤷‍♀️

A speaker at a workshop that I attended many years ago made a really great point when pondering the use of such derisive terms. I've tried to live my life by it ever since.   If you wonder if the use of a term is ok,  ask yourself these questions. 

1.  Would you want those words published on the front page of a newspaper?

2. Would you want someone to use those words toward your spouse,  child,  or partner?

3. Would you use those words in the presence of your spouse, child, or partner?

Obviously,  if any of the answers are "no," the words are probably not well chosen words.  

• Fire 3

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

LOL at this thread.

Brain compliments us on not being giant sissies when it comes to back and forth insults and word use then people go on about how using the word <turdbiscuit> is bad even so far as comparing it to some of the worst racist sort of words you can compare them to (I am a black man FFS - THAT is a ***duck duck goose** insult)...

HFS can't make this up guys.  Not much further and I bet he will wish someone could make this political so he could delete this embarrassment of a thread...

Also thinking you can hold someone else on a random forum to whatever sort of standards you wish to?  If my grandchildren can't take being called a <turdbiscuit> then I didn't raise my children correctly.  They should have thicker skin than that.  There is a distinct difference between that and the unethical, racist words being thrown out as comparisons.

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

LOL at this thread.

Brain compliments us on not being giant sissies when it comes to back and forth insults and word use then people go on about how using the word <turdbiscuit> is bad even so far as comparing it to some of the worst racist sort of words you can compare them to (I am a black man FFS - THAT is a ***duck duck goose** insult)...

HFS can't make this up guys.  Not much further and I bet he will wish someone could make this political so he could delete this embarrassment of a thread...

Also thinking you can hold someone else on a random forum to whatever sort of standards you wish to?  If my grandchildren can't take being called a <turdbiscuit> then I didn't raise my children correctly.  They should have thicker skin than that.  There is a distinct difference between that and the unethical, racist words being thrown out as comparisons.

Agreed!!

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

LOL at this thread.

Yeah, but one of the things I find bizarre is that too many determine for OTHERS what should and shouldn't be offensive to them.  It's not my job nor place to tell someone what should and shouldn't offend them.  That's just flat out obnoxious to me.

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

3 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

A speaker at a workshop that I attended many years ago made a really great point when pondering the use of such derisive terms. I've tried to live my life by it ever since.   If you wonder if the use of a term is ok,  ask yourself these questions. 

1.  Would you want those words published on the front page of a newspaper?

2. Would you want someone to use those words toward your spouse,  child,  or partner?

3. Would you use those words in the presence of your spouse, child, or partner?

Obviously,  if any of the answers are "no," the words are probably not well chosen words.  

And yet you are on here all the time talking about this "duece" guy, why?

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

Yeah, but one of the things I find bizarre is that too many determine for OTHERS what should and shouldn't be offensive to them.  It's not my job nor place to tell someone what should and shouldn't offend them.  That's just flat out obnoxious to me.

Right.  There is a movement by Indians to get the name Redskins reinstated.  Many bizarre unIndians decided those Indians should be insulted.  NAGA is not happy with those flat out obnoxious butt-in-skis.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/streettalk/washington-redskins-native-american-indians/2023/08/11/id/1130461/