But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars, my friend lost his life

I'd love to spit some Beech-Nut in that dude's eyes
And shoot him with my old .45
'Cause a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

good ole hank!

the ar 15/ m16

was 'light as a bbgun and about as effective' according to many soldiers in vietnam.

1963 –– The year U.S. Army adopted the AR-15, which became the M16. The rifle became the U.S. military's dominant assault rifle. But those Vietnam era AR-15s and the later M16s were capable of fully automatic fire and boasted modifications.Jul 11, 2022

he M-16 was originally rejected by the US Army. General Lemay of the Air Force ordered a batch for the Air Force security guards and this kept the program alive. The Army finally picked up some and used them in Vietnam. Initial results were horrible. The weapon jammed, a LOT. This was fixed by chrome plating the firing chamber. The gun became reliable and popular. The gun was based on the "varmint" rifle used in western states to kill prairie dogs. This required a small caliber flat shooting gun with long range.

Marine combat vet. I carried the M14 the first few months and then was issued the M16. It is true the M14 is heavier, but we were used to it. It always fired and the 7.62 round put a man down. It would penetrate cement block, jungle and just about anything else. The M16 was issued with two magazines and we had to find out on our own that if you loaded it with the full 20 rounds, it would jam. Seventeen rounds became our load. We only got one cleaning kit per fire team (3 or 4 ) and when the rifle jammed as it constantly did, you needed the cleaning rod to push the shell out of the chamber. In fire fights, we were hurling the thing back and forth and if you were inaccurate someone had to go out, under fire, to retrieve it. There were times that we all were jammed and Marines died because of this insanity. It was difficult to adjust sight. No knockdown power. I was on point one day and caught a VC in a patty. He took off and I began firing. Seventeen rounds and several into a second mag, he finally went down. I thought I was missing him at about 150 yards, but when I walked up to him he was swiss cheese. He motioned for a drink of water and when I handed it to him he pitched a grenade at me. Only that explosion finished him. With the M14, they went down on the first round. Finally, walking point, I surprised an NVA team setting up an ambush. I fired first on full auto at 10 yards. but my rifle jammed. They shot the Hell out of me until my squad leader, Clp. Shetterly dropped a second M79 round on them. Somehow, I walked away with light wounds but my M16 took 4 rounds and was done for. That is why I will take the M14, every time and I have more, just got tired of the question.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Folsom Prison Blues is a song about making a bad decision (shooting a man) and how much it sucks to be in prison watching trains go by and thinking about the freedom that others enjoy while you are locked up. Hardly an endorsement for violence, quite the contrary in fact, but nice try.

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

Folsom Prison Blues is a song about making a bad decision (shooting a man) and how much it sucks to be in prison watching trains go by and thinking about the freedom that others enjoy while you are locked up. Hardly an endorsement for violence, quite the contrary in fact, but nice try.

Ahhhh but now do a boy named sue. 

15 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Ahhhh but now do a boy named sue. 

Boys dad left home and gave him a girls name. Because of his girly name he was picked on all the time and rather than being the butt of all the jokes he learned to defend himself and became quite the fighter. He searched for his old man and eventually found him. His intent was to kill his old man for giving him that awful name. They got into quite the scrap and just when he was going to kill his old man, the old man explained his side of the story, resulting in a reconciliation of sorts between the father and son. With a renewed understanding of his fathers reasoning the son does not kill the father but vows to give his future sons a manly name (Bill or George , anything but Sue). 

17 minutes ago, Gus said:

Boys dad left home and gave him a girls name. Because of his girly name he was picked on all the time and rather than being the butt of all the jokes he learned to defend himself and became quite the fighter. He searched for his old man and eventually found him. His intent was to kill his old man for giving him that awful name. They got into quite the scrap and just when he was going to kill his old man, the old man explained his side of the story, resulting in a reconciliation of sorts between the father and son. With a renewed understanding of his fathers reasoning the son does not kill the father but vows to give his future sons a manly name (Bill or George , anything but Sue). 

Outstanding summary 

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Gus said:

Can you now give us the version if the kid were born in this day & age and dad named him Sue?  

Edited by ionel

16 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

ok. so here is the entire post.. unedited..

nowhere in it do you repudiate your ignorance about AR standing for assault rifle.

and no the ar hasn't changed except that it has many other companies making similar versions based on the same platform.

.223 is the caliber

a .22 is also a caliber... the .223 is slightly larger. not much. and not a good deer rifle in my opinion. the thing that makes it different is the charge behind the projectile.

a .22 with the same charge behind it would be just as deadly.. though it is already deadly enough

FFS, Why? Why do you insist on continuing to beat this battered horse?

As I've said repeatedly, I don't claim to be a weapons expert. I see no need for either of us to make this personal.

Here's what I do know:

"Sale of new AR-15s in the US was banned by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban from 1994 to 2004"

• Banned for a decade, because, you guessed it, they were Assault Weapons.
  • Not only .223, some used 5.56 cartridges (which are very similar - yet not the same)
  • My facts are from a specific source, this one - Colt AR-15 - Wikipedia
  • The details of the Federal Ban are here - Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia

Seems like some people think AR-15's are assault rifles, while others think they are not.

To be sure, It's nowhere near clear-cut. So, maybe we stop beating on this poor horse?

6 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

FFS, Why? Why do you insist on continuing to beat this battered horse?

As I've said repeatedly, I don't claim to be a weapons expert. I see no need for either of us to make this personal.

Here's what I do know:

"Sale of new AR-15s in the US was banned by the Federal Assault Weapons Ban from 1994 to 2004"

• Banned for a decade, because, you guessed it, they were Assault Weapons.
  • Not only .223, some used 5.56 cartridges (which are very similar - yet not the same)
  • My facts are from a specific source, this one - Colt AR-15 - Wikipedia
  • The details of the Federal Ban are here - Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia

Seems like some people think AR-15's are assault rifles, while others think they are not.

To be sure, It's nowhere near clear-cut. So, maybe we stop beating on this poor horse?

so 5.56 makes it more deadly? you do know 5.56 is mm... 

my ar uses both.  they are no bigger. they wouldn't fire correctly if they were.

wikipedia as a source... good one. 

my wife is science teacher... she won't allow her students to use wiki as a source.

and the GOVT says so... good lil fascist.

• Stalling 1

so 5.56 makes it more deadly? you do know 5.56 is mm... 
my ar uses both.  they are no bigger. they wouldn't fire correctly if they were.
wikipedia as a source... good one. 
my wife is science teacher... she won't allow her students to use wiki as a source.

Your .223 rounds out of your 5.56mm AR are good for known-distance, flat range shooting but not ideal for real world applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

So, I'm a "fascist"? You're proving to not only not know what the word means, but also that you are nothing more than a turd poster that I gave too much credit to.

That's on me. I should have known better after you made a post pretending to be a Marine (the post below.)

On social media, as much as most pretend to hate politicians - it is filled with at least as many liars like you. Likely many more.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:35 AM, Scouts Honor said:

Marine combat vet. I carried the M14 the first few months and then was issued the M16. It is true the M14 is heavier, but we were used to it. It always fired and the 7.62 round put a man down. It would penetrate cement block, jungle and just about anything else. The M16 was issued with two magazines and we had to find out on our own that if you loaded it with the full 20 rounds, it would jam. Seventeen rounds became our load. We only got one cleaning kit per fire team (3 or 4 ) and when the rifle jammed as it constantly did, you needed the cleaning rod to push the shell out of the chamber. In fire fights, we were hurling the thing back and forth and if you were inaccurate someone had to go out, under fire, to retrieve it. There were times that we all were jammed and Marines died because of this insanity. It was difficult to adjust sight. No knockdown power. I was on point one day and caught a VC in a patty. He took off and I began firing. Seventeen rounds and several into a second mag, he finally went down. I thought I was missing him at about 150 yards, but when I walked up to him he was swiss cheese. He motioned for a drink of water and when I handed it to him he pitched a grenade at me. Only that explosion finished him. With the M14, they went down on the first round. Finally, walking point, I surprised an NVA team setting up an ambush. I fired first on full auto at 10 yards. but my rifle jammed. They shot the Hell out of me until my squad leader, Clp. Shetterly dropped a second M79 round on them. Somehow, I walked away with light wounds but my M16 took 4 rounds and was done for. That is why I will take the M14, every time and I have more, just got tired of the question.

• Fire 1