... in a street fight.

jackwebster

[mention=70]Le duke[/mention]
I'm still baffled by the comment that I should have put "/s" after 285 lbs.
I merely said Wyatt Hendrickson was 285 lbs.  Stop.  And he had Air Force Academy training which includes hand to hand combat.  Stop.
WTF "per second" has to do with that is beyond me.  It's been well over 40 years since my last Physics class, but I can assure you those Laws don't change, unlike governmental laws.
giphy.gif.1863a8eb8ef71331cc6540690be6b421.gif

/s is common internet parlance indicating sarcasm.

Having worked at USAFA and being friends with several others who work there, I can assure you that the combatives program is a waste of time for an athlete of Wyatt Hendrickson’s caliber. It’s for the average cadet at USAFA, checking a box for combat-ish readiness training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

51 minutes ago, Le duke said:

/s is common internet parlance indicating sarcasm.

Having worked at USAFA and being friends with several others who work there, I can assure you that the combatives program is a waste of time for an athlete of Wyatt Hendrickson’s caliber. It’s for the average cadet at USAFA, checking a box for combat-ish readiness training.

Well, I learned something.  Thanks.

Admittedly, I was not thinking about how much the physical fitness bar has been lowered in all of society.  Bottom line, I'll take Hendrickson, anybody else can have the field.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:34 AM, Gus said:

I second the Trent Hidlay mention. 

Here are a few other current NCAA wrestlers that I think would be tough in a street fight:

Zac Braunagel, Tony Cassioppi, Levi Haines

I can't picture Cassioppi being a street fighter, and from my experience, I see most great wrestling heavyweights as being pretty mild mannered, not that they couldn't flip a switch, not considered D1 right now, but Gabe Steveson would be a bad dude in a street fight.  Pound for pound Nick Suriano fits the mold.

• Fire 1

I thought the theory was always a great wrestler would always beat a great boxer in a street fight as long as they could defend a punch or two before they get ahold of them? Has MMA changed that calculus? If it’s still true, then I’d take Keegan O’Toole, since he’s the best there is in D1 right now. M. I. Z…

11 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I can't picture Cassioppi being a street fighter, and from my experience, I see most great wrestling heavyweights as being pretty mild mannered, not that they couldn't flip a switch, not considered D1 right now, but Gabe Steveson would be a bad dude in a street fight.  Pound for pound Nick Suriano fits the mold.

The Gables would be like a giant Ninja Turtle street fighter. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

You see some of his videos where he has gloves on and throwing hands?  He has no speed to them.  I would not take him in a street fight P4P.  I might even go with goofy Gilman over him just off tenacity.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

23 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

I thought the theory was always a great wrestler would always beat a great boxer in a street fight as long as they could defend a punch or two before they get ahold of them? Has MMA changed that calculus? If it’s still true, then I’d take Keegan O’Toole, since he’s the best there is in D1 right now. M. I. Z…

I take Carr over O'Toole in a street fight and that is just another 165lber.  Carr is faster, stronger, and looks quite a bit more mean.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You see some of his videos where he has gloves on and throwing hands?  He has no speed to them.  I would not take him in a street fight P4P.  I might even go with goofy Gilman over him just off tenacity.

Nah Gilman would be dusted. The whole country saw that when it came time to throw hands with Waters he dove for an ankle and got laughed at.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

33 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Nah Gilman would be dusted. The whole country saw that when it came time to throw hands with Waters he dove for an ankle and got laughed at.

You missed the whole thing. That must have been Waters that did that.

• Haha 1

He’ll be the 5th best guy if Gable comes back and if Vito doesn’t take an OLY RS.

1 minute ago, Le duke said:

He’ll be the 5th best guy if Gable comes back and if Vito doesn’t take an OLY RS.

Vito has already said that he is coming back.  He self-admitted that he has been in college too long and that the whole proposition of him delaying his final year of eligibility another full season is silly.  It's been in 3 or 4 different interviews that he has said almost word for word the same thing.

43 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

This was pre-weaponized Gilman.

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Cass was a silver gloves boxing champ and has won kickboxing competitions 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

I'd be confident going into a rumble with Wyatt Hendrickson by my side

I damn near didn't read all of that...

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I take Carr over O'Toole in a street fight and that is just another 165lber.  Carr is faster, stronger, and looks quite a bit more mean.

Both are great wrestlers. Top notch. But i believe O'Toole is better at adapting to the competition and exposing your weaknesses  than Carr. They both have great coaching. They are both stellar athletes.