Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

Now I'm regretting letting go of my Bradley, but I have yet to use the smoking tube in the Traeger, so I'll see.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

Now I'm regretting letting go of my Bradley, but I have yet to use the smoking tube in the Traeger, so I'll see.

I wouldn’t have thought electric would get that much smoke flavor.  Mine uses wood or charcoal briquettes, whichever you prefer, and I can’t buy better flavor. 

3 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

I wouldn’t have thought electric would get that much smoke flavor.  Mine uses wood or charcoal briquettes, whichever you prefer, and I can’t buy better flavor. 

Bradley's are electric, but they also burn real wood.  They're self-feeding buisquettes that are made of compressed wood.

Bradley Smoker Flavour Bisquettes 48 Pack Oak Flavour (BTOK48) - BBQ World

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Just now, Ban Basketball said:

Bradley's are electric, but they also burn real wood.  They're self-feeding buisquettes that are made of compressed wood.

Bradley Smoker Flavour Bisquettes 48 Pack Oak Flavour (BTOK48) - BBQ World

Similar to my memphis, it's electric but not digital. Has a tray, not auto feed.   I get big wood chunks then break them down into smaller pieces.

Thinking of trying for that point this weekend to cook offset in the coal grill with some lump and wood, and run some smoke in from the smoke chamber as well.  Haven't tried that yet.

18 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Smoking tubes aren’t intended to replicate slow cook smokers. They’re intended to add a little bit of smoke to shorter cooks. 

Yes, you're right about that.

The context of my discussion was about trying to make long smokes in a Traeger more like long smokes in a dedicated traditional smoker. Which - we agree - the smoking tubes won't do.

I used to have a cast iron smoker box for my gas grill. Same concept, same result - added some smoke. Not a lot.

14 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Nothing wrong with that, very much resembles my own method.  A long time ago I would go to a place right next to the railroad tracks where the sign said “you don’t need no teeth to eat my beef.”  The sign was true, and my brisket turns out about the same. 

Also, it has a distinctive smoke ring and hardly anybody puts sauce or anything on it

Good that you agree there's "nothing wrong with" using a thermometer for cooking. That's a relief.

Also, good "hardly anybody puts sauce or anything on it". I hate to imagine what 'anything' might be.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

5 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Yes, you're right about that.

The context of my discussion was about trying to make long smokes in a Traeger more like long smokes in a dedicated traditional smoker. Which - we agree - the smoking tubes won't do.

Actually you said it doesn’t matter, in answer to someone asking what a smoking tube does. When  it does matter, because you can grill shorter cooks and get a nice smoke flavor.  Not everything with smoke needs to be hours on end with crisp bark.   Grilled chicken breast? Uses a smoke tube. Big cut of grouper fillets, smoke tube is perfect. Just a couple examples of meat you don’t want sitting in a smoker for hours. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Actually you said it doesn’t matter, in answer to someone asking what a smoking tube does. When  it does matter, because you can grill shorter cooks and get a nice smoke flavor.  Not everything with smoke needs to be hours on end with crisp bark.   Grilled chicken breast? Uses a smoke tube. Big cut of grouper fillets, smoke tube is perfect. Just a couple examples of meat you don’t want sitting in a smoker for hours. 

Can you say "Big cut of grouper fillets" again...my mouth is watering

7 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Can you say "Big cut of grouper fillets" again...my mouth is watering

If you are familiar with any of our (former) international officials, you may remember the late great Tom Clark, whom could not have a conversation without being a genius, witty smart ass.  Most chats included many quips and great lines....a couple of my favortie:

Hey next time you're at Lowe's, check out the clearance they have on aisle four......a whole pallet full of go f**k yourself.

AND

You know what, lets say we go to lunch.  I'll buy you a go f**k yourself grouper sandwich

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

"Doesn't really matter... the smoking tube will never reach the level of a good quality smoker like a Bradley."

I did post that. Within the context of the conversation. The matter of smokers vs Traegers per long smokes. 

We're in agreement here, because I've already posted about how I, personally, prefer less smoked meat. I don't think we could agree about it much more.

I am, however looking forward to Ban's full review.

On 8/8/2023 at 5:57 AM, WrestlingRasta said:

If you are familiar with any of our (former) international officials, you may remember the late great Tom Clark, whom could not have a conversation without being a genius, witty smart ass.  Most chats included many quips and great lines....a couple of my favortie:

Hey next time you're at Lowe's, check out the clearance they have on aisle four......a whole pallet full of go f**k yourself.

AND

You know what, lets say we go to lunch.  I'll buy you a go f**k yourself grouper sandwich

awesome dude. tom clark

TBD

4 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Rollin early on a Sunday ….3AC89F5F-DA17-415F-8FD1-462845CBB237.thumb.jpeg.d6de7ef6fa795c77566c166de3e77a8a.jpeg

Bad memories for me.  Florida was one of my least favorite places I've been.

• Fire 1