Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

7 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

I did two racks of baby backs for football sunday. 

i'm no where near the level of some of you guys, but i guess i got good product because they came out pretty damn good. 

no pics b/c i'm jealous of y'alls work. lol

Wait ... what did you say if there are no pics?  

On 9/3/2023 at 9:08 PM, ionel said:

I microwaved some vegetables.  

On 9/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, Husker_Du said:

pics or gtfo.

On 9/3/2023 at 9:27 PM, ionel said:

ahh ... well ... sorry but ate the bowl already, I'll try to do better next time.

pre mw pic

20230903_212506.thumb.jpg.530336ff728becf041b155ad48de578a.jpg

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

I did two racks of baby backs for football sunday. 

i'm no where near the level of some of you guys, but i guess i got good product because they came out pretty damn good. 

no pics b/c i'm jealous of y'alls work. lol

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Wait ... what did you say if there are no pics?  

It appears was "gtfo" now I'm not sure what the means but you must know and I see no pic so ...    😉

Edited by ionel

8 hours ago, Gus said:

Pork butt questions for the group.

1. Fat cap up or down?

2. Score the top side of the pork butt before cooking or no?

When using a pellet grill, fat cap up.

Unlike a typical gas grill, the heat source doesn't directly heat from the bottom. By design, it is indirect. 

In this situation, the melting of the fat cap on top doesn't penetrate the meat but it effectively 'bastes' it - keeping it moist.

Scoring the fat cap is advisable if the cap is relatively thick. That will help it render and not leave an unrendered layer of fat on top of the finished meat.

Some of us score the fat cap even if it isn't thick if we're going after a bit leaner version of pulled pork. But that's just personal preference. I'd prefer that my rub creates a delicious bark on the actual meat and not on fat - but that's just me.

16 hours ago, Gus said:

This is my typical setup as well and they always turn out juicy and delicious.

Do you do any injecting or bringing on your pork butt?

I have not injected a pork butt...yet!  Plan to try that.  I have injected chicken however.

What I use for my pork butt is a Kroger brand premade Pork Rub...I have made my own with good success but found the premade stuff is the best.

Kroger Grill Time Pork Rub & Seasoning (instacart.com)

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I have not injected a pork butt...yet!  Plan to try that.  I have injected chicken however.

What I use for my pork butt is a Kroger brand premade Pork Rub...I have made my own with good success but found the premade stuff is the best.

Kroger Grill Time Pork Rub & Seasoning (instacart.com)

I do overnight soaks instead of injecting. Seems to work pretty well. 

• Fire 1

How and when did this smash burger craze begin?

Yes,  I know people have made them forever,  but there's hardly a day that passes where I don't hear,  "smash burger. "

With that said,  I DO want to grill me some Oklahoma onion burgers though. 

Edited by Ban Basketball
  • Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

My wife and I couldn't say enough good about out smoked chuck roasts,  aside from the usual: Traeger takes a MONTH  to cook anything. 

It was maddening. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

23 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

How and when did this smash burger craze begin?

Yes,  I know people have made them forever,  but there's hardly a day that passes where I don't hear,  "smash burger. "

With that said,  I DO want to grill me some Oklahoma onion burgers though. 

hell hath frozen over. Me and BBBrain agree on a couple things. 

• Fire 1

TBD

28 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

hell hath frozen over. Me and BBBrain agree on a couple things. 

Steak ‘n Shake man! 

Seriously for the rise in familiarity with the term ‘smash burger’…..simple marketing. With the rise in popularity in grilling, comes the rise in sales of grilling accessories. It’s not so much for the dads, as much as for those who need to buy dad gifts. 

• Fire 1