Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

1 hour ago, Stockton said:

Filleted out a prime rib, stuffed with poached lobster tails, rolled back up and now in traeger at 225-250 for 5 hours.20230903_155809.thumb.jpg.d23bc1864a274be8f8d70c93ddbd8aea.jpg20230904_132407.thumb.jpg.16cd4c930694c84cbeaef0b72b48f085.jpg

Can't say I've ever heard of that.  Sounds wickedly good!

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

With great trepidation I post my chicken after @WrestlingRasta has posted his.

45 minute brine with Kosher salt and garlic flakes. Canola oil and pepper before going on the grill. Used a Meater+ (sticking out of large breast) to control temp and determine doneness. Basted with bbq sauce from a local restaurant during the last 20 minutes.

20230904_174237.thumb.jpg.c851e9af939d3d4236109876c0174ab6.jpg

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

14 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

45 minute brine with Kosher salt and garlic flakes. Canola oil and pepper before going on the grill. Used a Meater+ (sticking out of large breast) to control temp and determine doneness. Basted with bbq sauce from a local restaurant during the last 20 minutes.

Not sure of the intrepidation. Those legs actually look better than that whole chicken.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

20 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

😋     knownothing knows doneness

btw, if I bring the bourbon?

Edited by ionel

7 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

97830d1eda5a0e10d4d9fd1e17337290.jpg
e87f91fa62b9769ec4e031b06a61910f.jpg
Beef short ribs. They aren’t as dry than they look. This was the first cut. Taste was good but I would have preferred to get them on 8 hours, but can’t really justify doing the smoker that long for basically one plate of food.

Those look killer! I'm actually more of a fan of beef ribs, and they always look "dry,"  but never are. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

97830d1eda5a0e10d4d9fd1e17337290.jpg
e87f91fa62b9769ec4e031b06a61910f.jpg
Beef short ribs. They aren’t as dry than they look. This was the first cut. Taste was good but I would have preferred to get them on 8 hours, but can’t really justify doing the smoker that long for basically one plate of food.

That’s my five year olds favorite meal!

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Those look great brother!

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, going4it said:

da0b979acff51de3f867380e447ca49a.jpg
Was delicious. Did a brown sugar rub after sousing it for 36 hrs. 3 hrs on the Webber. The sous kind of makes it fool proof which is nice with brisket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to make that.    I have two briskets leftover.   I'm getting hungry, except for the Fair food I ate yesterday.   But I'm getting there.  

Since this is a thread on smoking, and I don't know what sousing is, can you explain please?  That looks soooooo good!

mspart

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, mspart said:

I would love to make that.    I have two briskets leftover.   I'm getting hungry, except for the Fair food I ate yesterday.   But I'm getting there.  

Since this is a thread on smoking, and I don't know what sousing is, can you explain please?  That looks soooooo good!

mspart

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous_vide

21 hours ago, going4it said:

da0b979acff51de3f867380e447ca49a.jpg
Was delicious. Did a brown sugar rub after sousing it for 36 hrs. 3 hrs on the Webber. The sous kind of makes it fool proof which is nice with brisket

that looks gorgeous.

does the smoke still penetrate after sousing? 

TBD

21 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

wow.

what temp and duration, WKN?

TBD

40 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

wow.

what temp and duration, WKN?

In my opinion the biggest game changer for chicken (at least white meat) is to soak it in a brine or inject with a brine. I keep my brines simple and just boil water with salt, pepper and sugar. I let the brine cool and then typically inject the chicken before cooking it. Give it a shot and it will be the juiciest, most delicious chicken you have ever made. 

• Fire 5

I went a little past well done to keep the wife happy, but it was still real juicy because of the brine.

Also, the whole time it was indirect heat. Started with all burners on, then turned one off and put chicken skin side down there for 15 minutes. Flipped and opened occassionally to baste.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

that looks gorgeous.
does the smoke still penetrate after sousing? 

Yes it does. The sous simplifies everything but the taste is out of this world. You won’t find juicier meat. Seems weird until you try it then you won’t go back. Steaks roasts loins all are amazing. Probably my fav is reheating a rack of ribs. Juicier and more tender, I add butter and a squirt of bbq seal it and freeze till ready.