Honest Opinions for 2023-2024 - Your Team Edition

nhs67

24 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

133. A Very Pissed off Lucas Byrd. AA, title contender. Kole Brower, Brian Beers and redshirt Goebel Hudson form a power-packed bench. 

Byrd is not just very pissed off he is humongously flip'n pissed off!!  After a weekend trip to Michigan he not only observed all the coin they're throwing around there and that one of their posters is make'n jokes at his expense but that some high school kid's been using his name in vain.  Yeah he's pissed, the wolvercats are gonna be get'n the Byrd!!

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Byrd is not just very pissed off he is humongously flip'n pissed off!!  After a weekend trip to Michigan he not only observed all the coin they're throwing around there and that one of their posters is make'n jokes at his expense but that some high school kid's been using his name in vain.  Yeah he's pissed, the wolvercats are gonna be get'n the Byrd!!

Lucas Byrd at 132 and 133 would be insane. opposing teams would never find momentum again, and ILLINOIS would would go undefeated in dual meets!

20 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Mizzou

125 Surtin NQ, R12, NQ

anything less than a podium spot would be disappointing at this point in his career.

133 Zeke Seltzer top 10 recruit, looking forward to seeing what he can do

141 Josh Edmond NQ at 149 coming off a RS year. Back to his natural weight after filling in for Mauller during his RS. Low podium wouldn’t surprise me here

149 Mauller 3x AA has had a great career. Hopes he makes the jump to a top 3 finish to finish off his last year.

157 is the one weight we have with 0 experience after four years of Jacques. J Conway, Cam Steed will most likely fill this spot. 

165 KOT!

174 Mocco with one more year to try and finish above his 8 place AA finish last year. 

184, the weight we have the most depth in my eyes. Hawks, Harman and Whittling. All three could start elsewhere I’d imagine. Who ends up manning the spot is a huge ? Mark. Hawks has improved, but if it was me, it would be Whittlings spot. The black and gold should give us an answer. 

197 R Elam

HWY Z Elam

with the right draws, pending everyone staying healthy I see no reason we don’t finish top 5. This is a trophy contender on paper. I believe we return the second most points overall. My opinion this is a trophy or bust year for Mizzou. 

I am interested in if any of our guys take an Olympic year, that could mix things up.  Also would like to see how a whole year in the room will affect Seltzer.  I think the biggest surprise for most will be Edmonds at 141, he is very explosive.  Going back down to 141 I hope will improve his gas tank, not as big of guys hanging on him.?  There is always something in the line-up that takes place that didn’t see coming.  Every year I feel we have a team that can bring home a trophy at the end of the year. This year I feel no different and hope they break through and get on the podium.

• Fire 1

OSU:

125: Spratley/Witcraft   Is Spratley ready, can Witcraft make 125 again, I think we see some of both, wouldn't surprise me if it's Witcraft at the end and a R12

133: Fix   Finalist again

141: Alvarez   They wouldn't have brought him in unless can turn him into an AA, correct?

149: Williams  Kid looks great at times, then sometimes makes you wonder, perhaps as full time starter a NQ

157: Mirzo   Yeah my wild pick here.  They had a hole here so why would they bring in Mirzo & Olejnik unless John plans to do a little weight magic and Khayitov down to 57, he prob didn't cut much in juco.  If it happens going out on a limb with R12.

165: Olejnik  Its a tough weight class again but AA.

174: Wittlake (Plott)  I think its a good year to give Plott his RS and Wittlake a chance at a better weight.  AA

184: Thompson/Stika (Wittlake)  If Witt 74 then Thompson 84, can use that RS later, but could be Stika, like 125 & 285 prob see both.  NQ

197: Surber  AA

285: Doucet/Carroll  As with 125 & 184 prob see both guys, betting Carroll at the end.  AA if option C and NQ if option D.

OSU:
125: Spratley/Witcraft   Is Spratley ready, can Witcraft make 125 again, I think we see some of both, wouldn't surprise me if it's Witcraft at the end and a R12
141: Alvarez   They wouldn't have brought him in unless can turn him into an AA, correct?
149: Williams  Kid looks great at times, then sometimes makes you wonder, perhaps as full time starter a NQ
157: Mirzo   Yeah my wild pick here.  They had a hole here so why would they bring in Mirzo & Olejnik unless John plans to do a little weight magic and Khayitov down to 57, he prob didn't cut much in juco.  If it happens going out on a limb with R12.
174: Wittlake (Plott)  I think its a good year to give Plott his RS and Wittlake a chance at a better weight.  AA
184: Thompson/Stika (Wittlake)  If Witt 74 then Thompson 84, can use that RS later, but could be Stika, like 125 & 285 prob see both.  NQ
285: Doucet/Carroll  As with 125 & 184 prob see both guys, betting Carroll at the end.  AA if option C and NQ if option D.

I think Okie State can count on Spratley to be an AA right away and contend for titles eventually. He’s capable of winning it all and I believe he’s ready now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, ionel said:

OSU:

You see any chance the perennial utility man, Stika, pulls down to man 157?  (Funny face)

18 minutes ago, ionel said:

OSU:

I very curious to see what they do with Thompson. OSU isn't a trophy contender so there is no reason to start him right away.  However, Brady hasn't exactly been known for his loyalty to a single program so he has to be considered a flight risk.  

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

There was a fellow on the old message board who provided a review of the ILLINI team every year. I really enjoyed those posts. I hope he and other ILLINOIS fans like @ionel and @bnwtwg and others pick apart my post until we can come to some kind of consensus. 

125. Justin Cardani/Maximo Renteria. Cardani had surgery and missed last season. Renteria entered his name in the transfer portal, but I haven't heard of any movement. This would be a big-time wrestle-off if it happens. Cardani has the ability to teleport to anybody's leg. Unfortunately, when he hits the "finish him" button, the machine malfunctions. If he has gotten bigger and stronger, he could be a load. Cardani was 3-1 against Liam Cronin, and ILLINI fans are waiting for him to take that next step. If he can finish a quarter of his shots, he would be an AA. Two-time national qualifier. 

Renteria has more talent at wrestling than I have at anything I've ever done in my life except hyperbole. The light never came on last year. Next year? Who knows. On the bench is Sammie Hayes (a tornado in a bottle) and Brandon Morvari (true freshman, will redshirt, two-time Minny champ). 

133. A Very Pissed off Lucas Byrd. AA, title contender. Kole Brower, Brian Beers and redshirt Goebel Hudson form a power-packed bench. 

141. Danny Pucino. Had been ranked very high during the season but had a B1G tournament. He's very exciting to watch, and I look for him to take a giant step this season to not only qualify but win some important matches at the NCAA tournament. As a true freshman, he beat Dylan D'Emilio and Frankie Tal Shahar. He beat Tal Shahar again at the dual this year. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Will Baysingar is the blue chip recruit who will take a redshirt. 

149. Jake Harrier. This fellow really came on last year. Like Pucino at 141, he was small for the weight, so a second year in the starting lineup will really help him get bigger and, of course, more experienced. I expect him to qualify. Charlie Fifield on the bench. A big-time recruit in Kannon Webster will likely get some spot starts at this weight. Kannon is still growing, and who knows where he ends up. 

157. Anthony Federico/Joe Roberts/Luke Odom.  Roberts started the year before last, Federico started out last year at 149 and finished up as the starter at 157. Odom has seen starts the last couple of years. I will be happy with an NCAA qualifier here. Cooper Wettig is in his second year, and Logan Swaw will redshirt. Everybody except Odom need to get bigger. 

165. Danny Braunagel. He was a Covid honorable mention AA, but hasn't gotten the elusive podium. He's in a very competitive weight, and he's been injured every year at the most inopportune times. I think he has the biggest cut on the team. I watched him at the US Open, though, and I've never seen him fight so hard. That's saying something for a Brawlnagel. He wrestled angry. Possessed. He's been ranked as high as #6 in his career. Healthy, he can AA. 

Braeden Scoles is another blue chipper. The Wisconsin 4xer, will take a redshirt and probably give Danny some nights off. He's the second of the incoming Freshmen who were Who's #1 wrestlers. 

174. Edmond Ruth. This is his year for an AA finish. Caden Ernd is another quality backup, while Chris Moore will be redshirting. 

184. Dylan Connell. Four-time ILLINOIS high school champ had a very nice NCAA qualifying year as a redshirt freshman. He's been adding muscle and bulk like Cartman on Weight Gain 4000. He will qualify for NCAAs again and win some matches. 

197. Zac Braunagel. He has missed out in the blood round two years in a row. By one point two years ago at 184. He was another Covid AA. Everybody should be pulling for him this year, even his opponents. I've got him down as an AA. The bench behind the Brawlnagel is pretty awesome: Joey Braunagel (2x finalist at U20s recently), Isiah Pettigrew, Chase Waggoner and red-shirter Peter Marinopoulos. 

285. Luuuke Luffman is back! Judging from his recent duty at the US Open, tangling with some real big Greco boys like Adam Coon, he will be an AA threat. Daniel Renshaw is the backup: 4.0 in Biological Engineering. 

I'm going to say the over/under is three AAs. In likelihood as follows: Byrd, Zac Braunagel, Ruth, Luffman, Danny Braunagel, Danny Pucino and Dylan Connell. This past season, the ILLINI had five matches in which a win meant an All American. It didn't happen. I expect they win those matches next season. This was the bad luck the ILLINI had last year in the form of a binomial probability calculator:  

ILLINIWRESTLING487.jpg

I think your take is fairly good.

What do you make of Davenport?  Do you think he could make the lineup at either 149 or 157?

I have the likelihood of pulling AA a different order.  Otherwise: You are the expert.

Byrd, Luffman, Connell, ZBraunagel, Ruth, DBraunagel, Pucino, and Cardani.

Reasoning: 
Byrd is due. 
I like how Luffman look(s). 
Connell is at 184, which is clearing out of a lot of top contenders. 
ZBraun is at 197, which is where a lot of the gents are heading to
Ruth is a Wildcard.  I could see him going 0-2 but I also see flashes of his brother in him.
DBraun is just... not sure.  Seems HEW?
Cardani could end up surprising some folks now that he is healthy.
Pucino is better than the end of the season showed last year, I think.

I also honestly think that if DBraunagel were to descend to 157 he could be a sleeper.  He looked smaller than a lot of gents that I have considered 'average' 165lbers this last year.  I know dropping weight and injuries often coincide, so that is the one reason I would say to not to.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

OSU:

You are going to confuse the shit out of Dr. @MPhillips, man.

2 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

There was a fellow on the old message board who provided a review of the ILLINI team every year. I really enjoyed those posts. I hope he and other ILLINOIS fans like @ionel and @bnwtwg and others pick apart my post until we can come to some kind of consensus. 

125. Justin Cardani/Maximo Renteria. Cardani had surgery and missed last season. Renteria entered his name in the transfer portal, but I haven't heard of any movement. This would be a big-time wrestle-off if it happens. Cardani has the ability to teleport to anybody's leg. Unfortunately, when he hits the "finish him" button, the machine malfunctions. If he has gotten bigger and stronger, he could be a load. Cardani was 3-1 against Liam Cronin, and ILLINI fans are waiting for him to take that next step. If he can finish a quarter of his shots, he would be an AA. Two-time national qualifier. 

Renteria has more talent at wrestling than I have at anything I've ever done in my life except hyperbole. The light never came on last year. Next year? Who knows. On the bench is Sammie Hayes (a tornado in a bottle) and Brandon Morvari (true freshman, will redshirt, two-time Minny champ). 

141. Danny Pucino. Had been ranked very high during the season but had a B1G tournament. He's very exciting to watch, and I look for him to take a giant step this season to not only qualify but win some important matches at the NCAA tournament. As a true freshman, he beat Dylan D'Emilio and Frankie Tal Shahar. He beat Tal Shahar again at the dual this year. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Will Baysingar is the blue chip recruit who will take a redshirt. 

149. Jake Harrier. This fellow really came on last year. Like Pucino at 141, he was small for the weight, so a second year in the starting lineup will really help him get bigger and, of course, more experienced. I expect him to qualify. Charlie Fifield on the bench. A big-time recruit in Kannon Webster will likely get some spot starts at this weight. Kannon is still growing, and who knows where he ends up. 

157. Anthony Federico/Joe Roberts/Luke Odom.  Roberts started the year before last, Federico started out last year at 149 and finished up as the starter at 157. Odom has seen starts the last couple of years. I will be happy with an NCAA qualifier here. Cooper Wettig is in his second year, and Logan Swaw will redshirt. Everybody except Odom need to get bigger. 

165. Danny Braunagel. He was a Covid honorable mention AA, but hasn't gotten the elusive podium. He's in a very competitive weight, and he's been injured every year at the most inopportune times. I think he has the biggest cut on the team. I watched him at the US Open, though, and I've never seen him fight so hard. That's saying something for a Brawlnagel. He wrestled angry. Possessed. He's been ranked as high as #6 in his career. Healthy, he can AA. 

Braeden Scoles is another blue chipper. The Wisconsin 4xer, will take a redshirt and probably give Danny some nights off. He's the second of the incoming Freshmen who were Who's #1 wrestlers. 

174. Edmond Ruth. This is his year for an AA finish. Caden Ernd is another quality backup, while Chris Moore will be redshirting. 

184. Dylan Connell. Four-time ILLINOIS high school champ had a very nice NCAA qualifying year as a redshirt freshman. He's been adding muscle and bulk like Cartman on Weight Gain 4000. He will qualify for NCAAs again and win some matches. 

197. Zac Braunagel. He has missed out in the blood round two years in a row. By one point two years ago at 184. He was another Covid AA. Everybody should be pulling for him this year, even his opponents. I've got him down as an AA. The bench behind the Brawlnagel is pretty awesome: Joey Braunagel (2x finalist at U20s recently), Isiah Pettigrew, Chase Waggoner and red-shirter Peter Marinopoulos. 

285. Luuuke Luffman is back! Judging from his recent duty at the US Open, tangling with some real big Greco boys like Adam Coon, he will be an AA threat. Daniel Renshaw is the backup: 4.0 in Biological Engineering. 

I'm going to say the over/under is three AAs. In likelihood as follows: Byrd, Zac Braunagel, Ruth, Luffman, Danny Braunagel, Danny Pucino and Dylan Connell. This past season, the ILLINI had five matches in which a win meant an All American. It didn't happen. I expect they win those matches next season. This was the bad luck the ILLINI had last year in the form of a binomial probability calculator:  

ILLINIWRESTLING487.jpg

What are the chances Websters redshirt gets pulled

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestej said:

I am interested in if any of our guys take an Olympic year, that could mix things up.  Also would like to see how a whole year in the room will affect Seltzer.  I think the biggest surprise for most will be Edmonds at 141, he is very explosive.  Going back down to 141 I hope will improve his gas tank, not as big of guys hanging on him.?  There is always something in the line-up that takes place that didn’t see coming.  Every year I feel we have a team that can bring home a trophy at the end of the year. This year I feel no different and hope they break through and get on the podium.

I have a heard a rumor or two where that could be a possibility. 

I also look forward to seeing what Seltzer does this year. My biggest concern with Edmond is him making weight at 141. He has definitely filled out quite a bit, hopefully him and Steed are putting in the time this summer to make 141 and 157 an easier transition come season time.  

As for 184, I see MizzouFan is big on Whittling - but I prefer Hawks or Harman over Whiting myself. And I have heard a few rumors there as well, but we'll see how that plays out.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

You are going to confuse the shit out of Dr. @MPhillips, man.

I've heard the good doctor is full of it so a little confusion probably good.  However, one of his more recent posts suggests he is onboard (get on it) and now Cowboy a fan.

1 hour ago, Ferrignohh said:

I very curious to see what they do with Thompson. OSU isn't a trophy contender so there is no reason to start him right away.  However, Brady hasn't exactly been known for his loyalty to a single program so he has to be considered a flight risk.  

In these hear new times saving redshirts ain't a thing, if you are ready then wrestle.  Plus the portal is out there, there more coin out there if you do some improving in the room.  Why invest coach'n and practice partners and such to just have a kid take off for greener mats, if he ready - get him in the lineup.

• Fire 1

45 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

What are the chances Websters redshirt gets pulled

The trend in college wrestling is to wrestle Freshmen who have established that they are ready for the big time. Kannon is a huge talent, as his win over Jesse Mendez at the US Open showed. I could certainly see it. The mitigation against is that Pucino at 141 and Harrier at 149 really seem like they're ready to take that next step. Also, Kannon seems like he is still growing. 

He recently wrestled at 65 kg in the US Open (about 143 lbs). Five months ago, he was at 138. Nine months ago, he wrestled 132. Eighteen months ago, he won Fargo at 120. When does he stop growing? He has Hulk Hogan hands and looks like he can walk onto a horse now! 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I think your take is fairly good.

What do you make of Davenport?  Do you think he could make the lineup at either 149 or 157?

I have the likelihood of pulling AA a different order.  Otherwise: You are the expert.

Byrd, Luffman, Connell, ZBraunagel, Ruth, DBraunagel, Pucino, and Cardani.

Reasoning: 
Byrd is due. 
I like how Luffman look(s). 
Connell is at 184, which is clearing out of a lot of top contenders. 
ZBraun is at 197, which is where a lot of the gents are heading to
Ruth is a Wildcard.  I could see him going 0-2 but I also see flashes of his brother in him.
DBraun is just... not sure.  Seems HEW?
Cardani could end up surprising some folks now that he is healthy.
Pucino is better than the end of the season showed last year, I think.

I also honestly think that if DBraunagel were to descend to 157 he could be a sleeper.  He looked smaller than a lot of gents that I have considered 'average' 165lbers this last year.  I know dropping weight and injuries often coincide, so that is the one reason I would say to not to.

Davenport is not on the team. I wish he was because he is a talent. 

After I posted the original comment, I had second thoughts about Dylan Connell. He made huge gains during the year. If you make your biggest improvements between your Freshman and Sophomore years, then he will be a very tough out come tournament time. Moreover, he will be a true full-size 184er next season.

As for Danny Braunagel, my guess is that injuries have been the thing. Cheers!  

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The trend in college wrestling is to wrestle Freshmen who have established that they are ready for the big time. Kannon is a huge talent, as his win over Jesse Mendez at the US Open showed. I could certainly see it. The mitigation against is that Pucino at 141 and Harrier at 149 really seem like they're ready to take that next step. Also, Kannon seems like he is still growing. 

He recently wrestled at 65 kg in the US Open (about 143 lbs). Five months ago, he was at 138. Nine months ago, he wrestled 132. Eighteen months ago, he won Fargo at 120. When does he stop growing? He has Hulk Hogan hands and looks like he can walk onto a horse now! 

Yeah he might be at 157 before it’s all done

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The cupboard is less bare, but not by much. There are big glimpses in the next two recruiting classes with Webster being a shining star that will course-correct and the new training facility will expedite the return to prominence for Illinois.

125: Cardani - Will forever be too small and lack the technical prowess to over come the size differential necessary to finish against anyone R16 and better. The W/L column will once again be overly harsh to B1G 125s but will hopefully earn an allocation that he actions into NQ. Renteria would have been a 4x CA champ if not for covid but that doesn't hold as much weight as one would presume given his brutal showing last year even after spending his freebie year in the room. I wish him luck at his next stop.

133: Byrd - May move up to 141. If he can stay at 133 not only should he remain in the AA conversation but also top 4. The weight has really cleared out, especially if Aurujau and Fix take another ORS.

141: Pucino - Brutal snap back to reality after a bright beginning of the season with a couple standout upsets that flashed his potential. Hopefully Poeta is coaching up how to leap in year 2. Has peak-potential for R16 if the bracket blows up just the right way.

149: Harrier/Fifield - .500 at best. Not counting on it.

157: Dr. Mikey Carr.  Pysch! If this weight can break .500 it will be a huge moral victory but don't count on it.

165: D Braunagel - Mixed results as per usual. Should NQ and win a match or two, wouldn't be surprised by 0-2 at B1Gs. Took 7th at the Open in greco and will be at WTT this weekend so there is that.

174: Ruth - I hate all things Brands, including when the stupid biter Nelson Brands beat Ruth in the blood round. I expect low-range AA next year.

184: Connell - should take another step forward and improve on last year. R16, maybe R12 is the likely ceiling this year but I wouldn't be surprised to peak as an AA.

197: Z Braunagel - only a couple seconds away from making the semis to getting beaten up by Cardenas in the blood round. Mixed results, might not NQ, might be mid-tier AA. I have learned to not have any expectations with the Braunagels and you should do the same. Took 3rd at the Open in greco and will be at WTT this weekend so there is that.

285: Luffman - R16/R12 gatekeeper but just too small to be successful in folkstyle. Took 3rd at the Open in greco and will be at WTT this weekend so there is that.

So two AA hitters, three other potential wrestlers that could sneak onto the podium if things works out.

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

133: Byrd - May move up to 141. If he can stay at 133 not only should he remain in the AA conversation but also top 4. The weight has really cleared out, especially if Aurujau and Fix take another ORS.

rumors he's going down to 132 so ...    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

😉

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clown 1

Wisconsin, Bono and the Badgers should be top 10 this year 

125 - Barnett 2X AA 

133 - Rivera Should be a Qualifier 

141  Lettini

149 - Zargo  Should AA 

157 - Model Should be a qualifier

165 - Hamiti Should place top 3 

174 - Condon 

184 - Liegel DIII transfer, Huge upside 

197 - Talshahar Big things from him this year 

285 - Amos will move to Heavyweight an AA 

3 hours ago, Wrestej said:

Seltzer I’m most interested in honestly. It’s been awhile, Erneste or McCormick since we’ve had a legit 133. Who do you think takes over 157, Steed? The battle at 184 is the most intriguing to me. As far as OLY RS, I’m not sure if anyone takes one. Who is eligible, KOT,Rocky and Hawks? Not 100% on hawks he was on that U20 team where KOT and Rocky win golds. The recruiting class for this year, i feel is mostly room guys. But the 24 class with Sinclair and Mauger, will probably RS, but I could also see them slide right into starting spots. 

125 - Barnett 2X AA 

141  Lettini
149 - Zargo  Should AA 

174 - Condon 

Didn’t Zargo just go 0-2 at 141? You must see something in him I don’t, which is fine. I struggle to see Wisconsin jumping from 16th to top 10 after losing Gomez and Hillger, and their most significant addition is a D3 transfer. Isn’t Model out of eligibility as well?

• Fire 2

30 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

125 - Barnett 2X AA 

141  Lettini

149 - Zargo  Should AA 

174 - Condon 

I see nominally five qualifiers and two placers.

Hamiti and Amos are the two placers.  Hamiti as a 'should be' 3rd is highly inaccurate.  He is 0-3 against Amine, 0-2 against Griffith, 0-1 against O'Toole, and 0-1 against Carr.  If you are going to say 'should be' then 4th is the highest that he 'should be' come NCAAs since one of Amine or Griffith are going up to 174.

I believe Amos has a peak of mid-AA as well.  I would welcome being surprised.

I don't see how you see a Top 10 finish here with those expectations.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Didn’t Zargo just go 0-2 at 141? You must see something in him I don’t, which is fine. I struggle to see Wisconsin jumping from 16th to top 10 after losing Gomez and Hillger, and their most significant addition is a D3 transfer. Isn’t Model out of eligibility as well?

I think Zargo will qualify, but 0-2 is likely.

I think you are correct on Model.

So make that a cap of four qualifiers with only two placing.