NDSU coach search?

headshuck

I would think Obe Blanc would be the front-runner. He's been at NDSU for multiple years now and has experience with different universities. Keeping a familiar face may also help retain most of their talent. He would be a good selection as he has the experience and accolades.

• Fire 2

9 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

I would think Obe Blanc would be the front-runner. He's been at NDSU for multiple years now and has experience with different universities. Keeping a familiar face may also help retain most of their talent. He would be a good selection as he has the experience and accolades.

From conversations with some NDSU Alum friends who wrestled under Kish, they are hoping for Obe Blanc to take over as well. 

• Fire 2

While I love this hire, I do worry that they will sink back down in their middle and upperweights.  He has been there a few years we can count using one hand (to be clear - you could count using no hands) how many AAs NDSU has pulled in in the lower weights.

For those not really in the know on Obe, he was a four or five time US National Team member from ~2009-2013ish down at 55/57kg.  It would be expected that he coaches the lightweights up, but the results we currently have show otherwise.

From a morale perspective, this is an absolute grand slam.  From a developmental perspective this doesn't move the needle.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

20 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

While I love this hire, I do worry that they will sink back down in their middle and upperweights.  He has been there a few years we can count using one hand (to be clear - you could count using no hands) how many AAs NDSU has pulled in in the lower weights.

For those not really in the know on Obe, he was a four or five time US National Team member from ~2009-2013ish down at 55/57kg.  It would be expected that he coaches the lightweights up, but the results we currently have show otherwise.

From a morale perspective, this is an absolute grand slam.  From a developmental perspective this doesn't move the needle.

Blanc has only been there 4 years (3 tournaments), and technically you can count on zero hands how many lightweights NDSU has had finish in the top 8.  They did have Cam Sykora get “2nd team” in 2020.   But you can count on 2 fingers how many AA’s they’ve had at all since 2016, and it was Franek and Caliendo this year at 157 and 165.  I would bet Blanc works with them, although he does look tiny.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Blanc has only been there 4 years (3 tournaments), and technically you can count on zero hands how many lightweights NDSU has had finish in the top 8.  They did have Cam Sykora get “2nd team” in 2020.   But you can count on 2 fingers how many AA’s they’ve had at all since 2016, and it was Franek and Caliendo this year at 157 and 165.  I would bet Blanc works with them, although he does look tiny.

I am not sure if you (or anyone aside for maybe JB and the Brain on here) have as far as history with Obe.  I had the pleasure of talking to him this year at NCAAs and he is absolutely intoxicating to talk to and he is as top notch as they come in the human being department.  Knowing that, I do believe he will be fine in the recruitment and retention (in this instance) department. 

The concerns I have are the concerns that were there before he was there just in development of lightweights.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's a him thing.  He is a much more accomplished wrestler than Kish is(was) at the highest level (Freestyle), however Kish was a better wrestler when it came to the college ranks so it may end up being a wash - which using the current trajectories is an absolute win.

I just want both of these guys to succeed.  Obe was a huge part of Kish's success the last few years.  Now for both to succeed they will have to look to different resources than one another (although I bet they will still rely on each other in many aspects).

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I'm guessing his hire to the staff will focus on that group... guessing. 

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• 3 weeks later...

Great hire for Coach Obe, Hayden will be a nice addition and should be able to draw some recruits, especially around the 157-184 weight classes. Not sure if this marks the end of him competing but seems like it could be a win-win for him and the NDSU program.

• Fire 1

Well I want Zillmer to go there, as well - with Trent.  That will make it so they don't miss a beat.

Hayden also probably helps Caliendo, Franek, and Sax immediately.

Think Hayden could be a good coach, although I’m a bit surprised he would go so far away with Trent still having eligibility. But wonder if Trent will join him there after next year? Does NDSU have an RTC?

The Bison RTC does exist. Don’t believe it is particularly well funded? Not sure on that I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Well I want Zillmer to go there, as well - with Trent.  That will make it so they don't miss a beat.

Hayden also probably helps Caliendo, Franek, and Sax immediately.

Caliendo will be in the conversation for a title next year with this move. The question is how long anyone on the staff/ potential RTC pipeline wants to stay in Fargo, ND. Harsh winters far from anything can lead to wanderlust very, very quickly.

i am an idiot on the internet