Worst tactical mistakes of NCAAs?

Jimmy Cinnabon

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

LeHigh NOT throwing the challenge brick when Humphreys was CLEARLY out and earned an escape with time left on the clock in the Semi's vs Auston O'Conner in what would have tied the match up.

Wasn't the escape awarded in real time, then overturned during a challenge?

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

LeHigh NOT throwing the challenge brick when Humphreys was CLEARLY out and earned an escape with time left on the clock in the Semi's vs Auston O'Conner in what would have tied the match up.

1 hour ago, Luckysevens said:

Yes. Plus- I assume @scourge165 was watching on a non-synced video. Watching live- it was really close. I never expected AOC to release him like that so didn't see the clock. In fact, my guess is that he released because he saw time up. (Could have been premature though).

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Kerk letting Parris tummy time him for over 2m30s of the 1st period.

Horrible tactic.

The great PSU fan from the other board said it wasn't ok to say "Tummy Time" when talking about Kerk! He had staph two years ago, and its not his fault and I was told that I was a bad person for bringing up "tummy time."

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

There was an Official Review, which (as gimp said on the Lehigh forum) cannot be challenged with a brick toss.  From the rule book (emphasis added):

If a coach challenges a previously made ruling on a video review challenge or if a coach challenges a ruling when the team's allotment of video review challenges has been exhausted, the actions are considered intentional delay of the match and the coach is penalized with a control of mat violation.

17 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think the worst tactical mistake was Kerkvilet not trying to score or even attempt to win in the ncaas finals and looking like he d rather be anywhere else on earth all weekend long 

Totally agree! I got an odd vibe from RBY as well.

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The great PSU fan from the other board said it wasn't ok to say "Tummy Time" when talking about Kerk! He had staph two years ago, and its not his fault and I was told that I was a bad person for bringing up "tummy time."

Was it Bratke?  I feel like it was Bratke?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, KennyEBHS said:

Totally agree! I got an odd vibe from RBY as well.

Word going around was rby was hurt Thursday night or Friday morning , nothing major but enough to limit his quickness a bit …Kerk looked like he has the biggest case of HEW ever documented though ..and he still made the finals lol

4 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

There was an Official Review, which (as gimp said on the Lehigh forum) cannot be challenged with a brick toss.  From the rule book (emphasis added):

Ok, then I guess put it on the refs.

They had the one angle on their matside camera, they had 6 angles upstairs. You can hear the ref on the TV say he can't see the clock, he looks at the other ref and I believe he says, "no escape," and the other ref says, "ok."

So maybe not on LeHigh, but they blew that call. 

I guess I wasn't aware that the refs double checking constituted an 'official review,' and if that is the criteria, they should send it up to get the best view. They were obviously not trying to delay the match as it was literally over at that point.

EITHER WAY...I think Humphreys got screwed there(with the lone caveat that it's possible the TV timer was not perfect, but I still believe in a match to determine who goes to the semi's, it should be decided up top).

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Luckysevens said:

No, it was not. A stalling was awarded in the final ~5 seconds to tie the score up at 3, but O'Conner had RT.

7 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Yes. Plus- I assume @scourge165 was watching on a non-synced video. Watching live- it was really close. I never expected AOC to release him like that so didn't see the clock. In fact, my guess is that he released because he saw time up. (Could have been premature though).

Again, no, the escape was not given. A stalling call was given. If they'd have called the escape, there's no chance they could have overruled it on the mat.

I was watching it on ESPN, so it's possible the timer was off...but I'm skeptical it was 2 seconds off...and he kicks out with 2 seconds, hits the mat at ~1 and is up and facing before you the clock is at 0...on ESPN.

So it's possible that was the issue, but again, you can hear the refs and they said they can't see the time.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Word going around was rby was hurt Thursday night or Friday morning , nothing major but enough to limit his quickness a bit …Kerk looked like he has the biggest case of HEW ever documented though ..and he still made the finals lol

I thought RBY went out and finished that match like a Champ. I wouldn't compare him and Kerk-at all. Kerk looked like he was resigned to 2nd place...which is weird because he's beaten Parris several times and an athlete like Kerkvliet, he was capable of beating Parris. Obviously Parris was outstanding, but Kerk just looked broken.

BTW, what's HEW stand for? I mean, in this context? I've seen it several other uses, but...it doesn't make sense here. 

Versus Parco, Gomez was dominating the aggresion game thru the 2nd, leading and may have even had riding time. He took sloppy shot end of 2nd period, Parco ended period on top and everything went downhill. He could have maybe stalled to a victory in the 3rd. 

36 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I thought RBY went out and finished that match like a Champ. I wouldn't compare him and Kerk-at all. Kerk looked like he was resigned to 2nd place...which is weird because he's beaten Parris several times and an athlete like Kerkvliet, he was capable of beating Parris. Obviously Parris was outstanding, but Kerk just looked broken.

BTW, what's HEW stand for? I mean, in this context? I've seen it several other uses, but...it doesn't make sense here. 

I take it as "sick of wrestling; going through the motions; doesn't really care; wants his season/career to be over with."

48 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

HEW means Had enough Wrestling , some guys just get burnt out and Kerk looked pretty burnt out to me this past weekend 

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, jmoney said:

Versus Parco, Gomez was dominating the aggresion game thru the 2nd, leading and may have even had riding time. He took sloppy shot end of 2nd period, Parco ended period on top and everything went downhill. He could have maybe stalled to a victory in the 3rd. 

Eh...that was a good one. It was a sloppy shot from distance late as well, wasn't it?

I think Gomez likely loses to Sasso.

What about Murin vs Yianni? Anyone else think Murin maybe should have gotten NF there...outside of Iowa fans(I'm pretty sure I know your position).

• Fire 2

Van ness  was beating yianni 3-2 with about a minute left in the 3rd ,  yianni got in deep on a shot and instead of turning down giving up the 2 and working for an escape to tie it up at 4 he tried to fight it  and got caught on his back trying to dive roll out of it …a mistake a freshman can’t afford to make against a 4xer and world team member 

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Van ness  was beating yianni 3-2 with about a minute left in the 3rd ,  yianni got in deep on a shot and instead of turning down giving up the 2 and working for an escape to tie it up at 4 he tried to fight it  and got caught on his back trying to dive roll out of it …a mistake a freshman can’t afford to make against a 4xer and world team member 

Yianni said he Wrestled looser this tournament due to some family issues(everything was fine though). But it seemed like he wrestled a bit tighter. Van Ness wrestled out of his mind and had a great tourney, but I was surprised to see him on the ropes so many times. 

By far the worst tactical mistake at the NCAA was allowing ESPN to take over 3 hours to show 10 matches.  I'm all for advertising dollars and all......but if you want to draw in new (casual) fans, then dragging the event out longer isn't the way to do it. 

Just my view from the cheap seats.......

• Fire 2

Yianni said he Wrestled looser this tournament due to some family issues(everything was fine though). But it seemed like he wrestled a bit tighter. Van Ness wrestled out of his mind and had a great tourney, but I was surprised to see him on the ropes so many times. 

Van Ness has all of the talent on the world but is lacking mat time. You could see that he was right there in his last match against Murin (3rd place match) and put it all together at NCAAs.

I imagine the many mistakes he regularly makes will be picked apart and fixed by Casey and Cody this summer, and his offensive repertoire will expand. First up, teach the kid to sprawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, no, the escape was not given. A stalling call was given. If they'd have called the escape, there's no chance they could have overruled it on the mat.
I was watching it on ESPN, so it's possible the timer was off...but I'm skeptical it was 2 seconds off...and he kicks out with 2 seconds, hits the mat at ~1 and is up and facing before you the clock is at 0...on ESPN.
So it's possible that was the issue, but again, you can hear the refs and they said they can't see the time.
It was called right after the stall. Why do you think the other coach ran out and yelled?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Just now, gimpeltf said:

It was called right after the stall. Why do you think the other coach ran out and yelled?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Scott was screaming about the 2nd stall, not the escape. I'm about 99% certain they never awarded the escape.

And if they did, I don't see how they overturn it. 

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

What about Murin vs Yianni? Anyone else think Murin maybe should have gotten NF there...outside of Iowa fans(I'm pretty sure I know your position).

I think this was covered elsewhere, but no NF was the right call. Shoulder blades have to be 4" from the mat. Yianni's were nowhere near that. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

Van Ness has all of the talent on the world but is lacking mat time. You could see that he was right there in his last match against Murin (3rd place match) and put it all together at NCAAs.

I imagine the many mistakes he regularly makes will be picked apart and fixed by Casey and Cody this summer, and his offensive repertoire will expand. First up, teach the kid to sprawl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't SVN a Blair kid? It's not like he's from an isolated village in Alaska and is just being exposed to the nuances of the sport.

• Haha 1