Your thoughts on which colleges should bring back (or start) wrestling?

CashingChecks25

I was thinking back on this topic from other forums, but nevertheless intrigued if others think of schools having wrestling as a Varsity sport would be sick😎.

I would love to see Western Oregon University (D2) bring back wrestling. I think it would be very benefical and bring enthusiasm to the wrestling scene even more with Oregon State, Linfield (D3, revived this current wrestling season) and other NAIA schools that brought wrestling to the local region of the Pacific Northwest and beyond of having more opportunities as of late. 

There is some hard nosed talent over on that side of the nation that can really benefit saying close to home. Especially back to Western Oregon. The program was shut down due to Measure 5 of property taxes and ultimately because of it, the program was cut with 65 seasons of program history in 1991 with a few of those wrestlers actually making the national champions at that season. Hopefully the "Mat Men" come back sooner then later.

Here a link of there history for those interested. 

Link: https://wou.edu/westernhowl/the-history-of-westerns-wrestling-program/spacer.png

• Fire 2

The obvious schools are USC and UCLA. They should not be allowed to join the Big Ten unless they can field varsity wrestling teams. 

Overall, I think the trend of schools bringing back wrestling will continue, particularly at the lower end (d3, etc.). Seeing the increasing participation and recognition of girls wrestling is great. more colleges sponsoring women's wrestling, which will help the sport grow on the boys and men's side as well. Easier to invest in coaching and facilities when potentially double the number of athletes benefit. Also, with title ix concerns, it's good that there now exists a sport that can "balance" out wrestling (and it ends up being wrestling!).

I wonder what would happen if more top schools would follow Iowa's lead and invest in the women's side. the growth for wrestling as a whole could really explode.

• Fire 2

51 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Duke has a team, just not a good one.

I'd go:

Texas

Georgia

Georgia Tech

Florida State

Florida

Miami

Clemson

Monmouth

Kansas

Kansas State

Monmouth absolutely. Seems obvious to everyone but the school. Miami I have a hard time picturing those kids in the room all winter!

7 hours ago, CashingChecks25 said:

I was thinking back on this topic from other forums, but nevertheless intrigued if others think of schools having wrestling as a Varsity sport would be sick😎.

I would love to see Western Oregon University (D2) bring back wrestling. I think it would be very benefical and bring enthusiasm to the wrestling scene even more with Oregon State, Linfield (D3, revived this current wrestling season) and other NAIA schools that brought wrestling to the local region of the Pacific Northwest and beyond of having more opportunities as of late. 

There is some hard nosed talent over on that side of the nation that can really benefit saying close to home. Especially back to Western Oregon. The program was shut down due to Measure 5 of property taxes and ultimately because of it, the program was cut with 65 seasons of program history in 1991 with a few of those wrestlers actually making the national champions at that season. Hopefully the "Mat Men" come back sooner then later.

Here a link of there history for those interested. 

Link: https://wou.edu/westernhowl/the-history-of-westerns-wrestling-program/spacer.png

Never thought that when I opened this thread it would start with a post about Western!  😄 

I would love to see Western revive it's program, but here in Oregon I would much prefer the Ducks get their program up and running again.  Portland State would be another one.  The west needs D1 programs!

• Fire 1

Yeah, the SEC used to have some tough wrestling...

More of a myth than reality. The conference only sponsored for 9 years and Georgia and Alabama never had an All-American, while LSU and Tennessee saw their best years actually post-SEC sponsorship. Auburn had the longest history, but as a whole, the conference as a conference wasn’t very good. I can’t get at the stats right now but I looked at them a few days ago.

Jason Bryant hasn't worked here since 2008. 

3 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

More of a myth than reality. The conference only sponsored for 9 years and Georgia and Alabama never had an All-American, while LSU and Tennessee saw their best years actually post-SEC sponsorship. Auburn had the longest history, but as a whole, the conference as a conference wasn’t very good. I can’t get at the stats right now but I looked at them a few days ago.

My first year doing the computer work at NCAAs ('87) I was tasked to total up team scores per conference and divide into the total team scores save D2/D3 as the main method of allocating qualifiers for the next year. And I was asked to give my conclusions. A few years later they switched to a method counting up top 12s and doing the same.

So that year, I totaled them up and noticed that between the Southern and SEC, one generated .4 qualifiers and the other .6. My conclusion that I gave them was to merge the two conferences and take the OW.

Here's a related thread which analyzes why opportunities for reinstating (or otherwise adding) wrestling teams at the college level here in the USA are seemingly better now than they have been in decades.   This is due to legal reforms of Title IX (and other statutes) that have been increasingly emerging from the U.S. Supreme Court.   Essentially the Supreme Court is saying that statutes are to be taken at face value, and major questions are to be resolved by Congress instead of the bureaucrats.   All that Title IX says is the following.  Notice the lack of gender quotas?   

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform