Warner HEW Alert

Elevator

Watched the Warner match last night.  He has been a tough competitor and accomplished quite a lot.  A few times now it seems like his heart is not in it.  I sure he wants to help his team, but we can all understand when the grind gets to a wrestler's mental and they have had enough.  I am not blaming him just noting my read of his demeanor and performance.   

• Fire 1

He started off on a heater at the beginning of the season. Vak was right, he did look better. Ever since the All-Star though he has been on a gradual decline. 

I'm not going to speculate what the cause is but it's plain and simple that he is wrestling ugly right now. Even with his history of stepping up at NCAA's I would not pick him to AA if he continues to wrestle like he has been. Things need to change, fast.

I don't get the Warnerov hate. My dude is a total warrior and returning finalist at a weight in which any of the Intermat top thirty could be All Americans this year. The returning champ is down at #4, the 35-year-old Cuban freestyle world-beater is #5, a returning AA at #17, an age group world champ at #18. 

A top contender will have to beat #21 Cam Caffey in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Another high seed will have #20 man-mountain Luke Stout.

The weight class is bonkers.

I get that Warner walks out onto the mat looking like present-day Russell Crowe, and, sure, he probably smells of whiskey and sex, but that's actually pretty cool. This is his Final Battle, and he's dealing with injuries (pretty obviously) so give him some slack.

• Fire 7

Warner is a damn good wrestler who is fighting through injuries and probably some motivation issues.  College wrestling is very hard and he has been doing it at a very high level for a long time now.  I hope he finds a way to enjoy his final matches and achieves at a level his heart can accept.  Hawkeye message board warriors have no idea what these guys deal with on a day to day basis.  I have always admired Warner for his wrestling and the way he conducts himself after wins and losses.  A true credit to his team and family.

• Fire 4

7 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I don't get the Warnerov hate. My dude is a total warrior and returning finalist at a weight in which any of the Intermat top thirty could be All Americans this year. The returning champ is down at #4, the 35-year-old Cuban freestyle world-beater is #5, a returning AA at #17, an age group world champ at #18. 

A top contender will have to beat #21 Cam Caffey in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Another high seed will have #20 man-mountain Luke Stout.

The weight class is bonkers.

I get that Warner walks out onto the mat looking like present-day Russell Crowe, and, sure, he probably smells of whiskey and sex, but that's actually pretty cool. This is his Final Battle, and he's dealing with injuries (pretty obviously) so give him some slack.

These are good points and I do not dislike Warner in any way, even though I am not enamored of his style.  Not picking him to make the NCAA finals, but would not be surprised and agree that AA list is wide open.

1 hour ago, MNRodent said:

Maybe Michial Foy deserves just a little credit for this recent win over Warner.  They had a very similar match last year that Warner won by just a point or two.  So not a total shock.

Foy is very talented. He was right there with Braunagel and Allred. All his loses on the year are be a point or OT except being pinned by Truax. 

5 hours ago, Hokeye said:

Warner is a damn good wrestler who is fighting through injuries and probably some motivation issues.  College wrestling is very hard and he has been doing it at a very high level for a long time now.  I hope he finds a way to enjoy his final matches and achieves at a level his heart can accept.  Hawkeye message board warriors have no idea what these guys deal with on a day to day basis.  I have always admired Warner for his wrestling and the way he conducts himself after wins and losses.  A true credit to his team and family.

I agree with everything you said here except for the bolded. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him storm off the mat in anger, often screaming things like "why am I like this". He's had some less than flattering displays post match.

Still, I'm not trying to hate on him and agree that the stuff being posted on social media regarding this performance is a bit much.

Finally, Warner is a tough, gritty wrestler but watching him is not always fun

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Max Dean: 1st, 2nd, 8th

Jacob Warner: 2nd, 4th, 7th

Nino Bonaccorsi: 2nd

Mid-season Transfer: Stephen Buchanan: 3rd, 8th

Bernie Truax: 4th, 4th

Rocky Elam: 4th, 5th

Yonger Bastida: 5th

Gavin Hoffman: 6th

Michael Beard7th 

Medical Redshirt: Lou DePrez: 8th

So far it is confirmed that DePrez succumbed to HEW and this board has told me that Warner and Elam both have it too. Hoffman had it until he discovered a HEW vaccine at last years NCAAs. Who else on that list is HEW and we just don’t know about it on the internet yet?

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Warner is an incredibly frustrating watch, but this type of result is not super out-of-line with previous results.  He's got so much ability, but obviously struggles with the mental game. taking shots with more than 30 seconds left in the match.

FIFY

Also, Warner is a great example of the need for a 97kg-esque light heavyweight weight class. He looks exhausted from sucking down even if he wrestles 2 hours after weigh-ins. And he is still a 3x AA, 1x finalist despite not being at an optimal weight.

i am an idiot on the internet

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

FIFY

Also, Warner is a great example of the need for a 97kg-esque light heavyweight weight class. He looks exhausted from sucking down even if he wrestles 2 hours after weigh-ins. And he is still a 3x AA, 1x finalist despite not being at an optimal weight.

Yep. People talk about Warner needing to put on muscle, transform his body, etc.. But he actually has one of the biggest cuts on the Iowa team. He is a tall guy with thick legs. The talk of him needing to put on muscle has always been silly. Have you ever watched a Warner match and thought he did not have the horsepower to compete with the top 197 pounders?

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

Yep. People talk about Warner needing to put on muscle, transform his body, etc.. But he actually has one of the biggest cuts on the Iowa team. He is a tall guy with thick legs. The talk of him needing to put on muscle has always been silly. Have you ever watched a Warner match and thought he did not have the horsepower to compete with the top 197 pounders?

Yep. He’s like a foot taller than Max Dean.