Step Aside Pennsylvania

Wrestleknownothing

I know Pennsylvania and Iowa like to debate which state is the Mecca of wrestling.

Well, @flyingcement and I are here to tell you that they are a pair of pretenders. If you want to score points we have some time tested advice for you.

Go West, young man, Go West. Get ye to the north of the Dakotas.

image.thumb.png.190b68d655c037fbb3a92c4769cb5617.png

Combining flyingcement's geographic data (I cannot imagine how much work that was) with Intermat's latest rankings and my expected points per seed tells us how many points per million residents each state is expected to contribute to their team's totals. 

So, @VakAttack if you really want to put an end to Penn State's despotic rule you need to get the Brands brothers (Brands of Brothers?) to recruit a ND wrestler at every weight.

• Fire 5

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

27 minutes ago, LJB said:

i take exception with ND being called "the west"

After further review, I've got to agree with LJB here.

ND is the west edge of the 'midwest', but not quite proper 'west.' Also, a point worth mentioning, NDSU is basically on the ND/MN border - more east by the length of ND.

In any case, good stuff on this thread.

map-of-midwest-states-scaled.jpeg

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Combining flyingcement's geographic data (I cannot imagine how much work that was) with Intermat's latest rankings and my expected points per seed tells us how many points per million residents each state is expected to contribute to their team's totals. 

So, @VakAttack if you really want to put an end to Penn State's despotic rule you need to get the Brands brothers (Brands of Brothers?) to recruit a ND wrestler at every weight.

I sure hope Tom Brands does this.  Iowa will never sniff the top 15 ever again

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The Go West young man quote is attributed to a writer in The Terra Haute Express so I will have to allow it.

Many consider Indiana to be Midwest, this is in fact wrong and to be discussed later.  John Babsone Lane Soule, the editor of the Indiana based Terre Haute Express when saying "go west" was referring to Colorado, perhaps more specifically Greeley as he wrote it as if Horace Greeley said it, hence the confusion of who to attribute for the saying.  And in fact don't believe Colorado was even a state then and the eastern front range may have still been part of Kansas territory.    Thus the "west" is more appropriately attributed to Colorado to California coast and other appropriate states.  So clearly even the west edge of North Dakota was not "west" and certainly not the east portion of the state.  Obviously "mid west" would be somewhere in Utah/Nevada and thus Indiana from thence one might go west can not be considered Midwest. 

Someone else can count to see if I violated the 49.5 rule. 

Edited by ionel

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Many consider Indiana to be Midwest, this is in fact wrong and to be discussed later.  John Babsone Lane Soule, the editor of the Indiana based Terre Haute Express when saying go west was referring to Colorado, perhaps more specifically Greeley as he wrote it as if Horace Greeley said it, hence the confusion of who to attribute for the saying.  And in fact don't believe Colorado was even a state then and the eastern front range may have still been part of Kansas territory.    Thus the "west" is more appropriately attributed to Colorado to California coast and other appropriate states.  So clearly even the west edge of North Dakota was not "west" and certainly not the east portion of the state.  Obviously "mid west" would be somewhere in Utah/Nevada and thus Indiana from thence one might go west can not be considered Midwest. 

Someone else can count to see if I violated the 49.5 rule. 

All depends on what era.  Early 1800's Pittsburgh was the gateway to the West.  So yeah, in 1800 the Rocky Mountain front range was in present day Ohio.  Amazing to think of the geological changes that has happened in the last 223 years.

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

7 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

All depends on what era.  Early 1800's Pittsburgh was the gateway to the West.  So yeah, in 1800 the Rocky Mountain front range was in present day Ohio.  Amazing to think of the geological changes that has happened in the last 223 years.

Well it ain't the 1800s anymore so ...

10 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The Go West young man quote is attributed to a writer in The Terra Haute Express so I will have to allow it.

The line to see Santa stretched all the way to Terra Haute. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐