An uninformed non-Iowa fan's take on Iowa

Jimmy Cinnabon

125 - Lee pins his way through NCAAs.  Gets his 4th title and wins his 3rd Hodge.  He gets a standing O from all fans.

133 - Teske 2-2

141 - Woods runner-up (Alirez wins)

149 - Murin breaks through and takes 3rd

157 - Sibrecht R12

165 - Kennedy 5th

174 - Brands R12

184 - Assad R12

197 - Warner 4th

HWT - Cass 3rd

Iowa takes 2nd as a team

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, 500 wrestler said:

I think Murin finally AAs this year. But 3rd is not realistic, particularly if Gomez is not out. Murin’s not beating any of Yanni, Sasso, or Gomez. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He wouldn't have to beat all 3 most likely, depending on how the brackets are drawn.

I said any of, not all of. He would likely have to beat one of them to finish third, unless at least one of them lost in an upset. More to the point: I don't see him finishing ahead of any of these three. 

16 minutes ago, 500 wrestler said:

I said any of, not all of. He would likely have to beat one of them to finish third, unless at least one of them lost in an upset. More to the point: I don't see him finishing ahead of any of these three. 

Or the brackets put them (2 of Yianni/Gomez/Sasso) wrestling each other prior to the 3rd place match.

I agree I don’t see Murin beating one of them, but could see the brackets working out in his favor.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

125 - Lee pins his way through NCAAs.  Gets his 4th title and wins his 3rd Hodge.  He gets a standing O from all fans.

133 - Teske 2-2

141 - Woods runner-up (Alirez wins)

149 - Murin breaks through and takes 3rd

157 - Sibrecht R12

165 - Kennedy 5th

174 - Brands R12

184 - Assad R12

197 - Warner 4th

HWT - Cass 3rd

Iowa takes 2nd as a team

This is pretty good but to me seems aspirational. They are probably at greater risk of getting bumped to 3rd with a few falling short than a serius challenge for team 1st.  They found a way to keep the dual kind of close, bu don't think that will work as well at NCAAs.  Skeptical of Woods and Murin going 2/3, but maybe.  I think there is parity at 141 and Woods will have some close matches by the quarters.  So 2nd not a bad guess.  Murin is as likely to get 7 or 8 as #3.  Just not there that he is top 3 at one of the toughest/deepest weights.  Depth at 141 and 149 is like night and day.    

15 hours ago, Gus said:

Best case would have to be Woods and Warner winning it

That’s why I said “really close”. Despite, being a current runner-up, Warner is not a reasonable title pick right now. 3rd is quite lofty at this point. I would, however, pick Woods to win 141 myself.

Murin at 3…could happen. 7/8 or R12 is more realistic. As a whole, that series of projections is very ambitious.

14 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Isn't winning it everyone's best case?

38 minutes ago, MLB9 said:

That’s why I said “really close”. Despite, being a current runner-up, Warner is not a reasonable title pick right now. 3rd is quite lofty at this point. I would, however, pick Woods to win 141 myself.

Murin at 3…could happen. 7/8 or R12 is more realistic. As a whole, that series of projections is very ambitious.

Yes, winning it is the best case for everyone (smart a**). With these two individuals it is well within the realm of possibility for them to win a title. Woods has wrestled great all year and is a top title contender with Alirez. Warner is a returning finalist who was in OT last year in the finals. He has not looked great this year but he did not look great last year and made the finals. He wrestles better in March. I would not pick Warner to win a title, but I would not have picked him 2nd last year or 4th in 2021 either. That all being said, Murin projected as 3rd seems like a stretch. I would love to be wrong though and hope he gets over the R12 hump.