Iowa brand

15 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I have no idea, please detail the HS recruit rankings from every rating services so we all can see the consensus rankings. I'd love to see the names of the 25 guys you're trying to single out as "elite" and see what they've done and where they went. 

But are you trying to suggest the Ben Kueter, for instance, wasn't an elite recruit? Or that Gabe Arnold, who was the U20 US Open champ as a HS Sr., wasn't an elite recruit? Those are both from 2023, IIRC.

Sure, Iowa has focused on getting guys in the portal, but they're still landing elite HS guys. 

Its worth contextualizing the conversation in light of the idea that Iowa is the only team meaningfully compared to PSU.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Brands brothers and Iowa have now become the Colorado and Sanders of wrestling.

With the transfers it reenforces their inability to recruit and development talent.  They have road on Gables coat tails to long.

21 hours ago, headshuck said:

Has anyone figured out the motivation behind the recent drive to win a title at all costs, specifically transfer costs? Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling was one of the strongest sports franchises in the past century.

Sure, it was the winning streak, but it was much more. It was the unheard of mental and physical barriers their wrestlers went through to win.

Do they think winning titles again with transfers is enough to restore the brand? Maybe it’s simply a compensation contract the coaches made to win regardless of approach? You’d think an Iowa brand contract would spend money and resources on “grass roots” recruits, whatever it took.

The cost to Iowa is what $0?   Iowa isn’t paying NIL….. external donors are…. At least that’s what I thought.  

Also… the blue psu sunglasses often forget psu dips into the transfer pool a bit too.   

kerk.  Dean.  Truax.   Messenbrink.  Ngao to name a few.    Some of those are ncaa champions / finalists.  

Edited by Caveira
  • Bob 2

2 minutes ago, Caveira said:

The cost to Iowa is what $0?   Iowa isn’t paying NIL….. external donors are…. At least that’s what I thought.  

Ok, sure. But it is essentially viewed as the program allocating dollars. I am sure they collaborate on where to put the money to use.

^^^ Cav is dead on. The only 'cost' associated to the University is any collateral damage done to the culture of the team.

Also, the scuttlebutt is Aiden Riggins to ISU. i myself have not heard that from any reliable source but that's the rumor. 

apparently Brad Hill is on the move, too

TBD

3 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

Ok, sure. But it is essentially viewed as the program allocating dollars. I am sure they collaborate on where to put the money to use.

That would be illegal no?  

nil is ruining college sports yes….. diff topic though.  

^^^ Cav is dead on. The only 'cost' associated to the University is any collateral damage done to the culture of the team.
Also, the scuttlebutt is Aiden Riggins to ISU. i myself have not heard that from any reliable source but that's the rumor. 

I’m certainly no Iowa fan, but setting aside “Iowa” here, it’d be sad to see this happen to any program.

Does Slumlord Supreme clear these purchases with TnT before he writes the check(s)? Do they care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Le duke said:

I’m certainly no Iowa fan, but setting aside “Iowa” here, it’d be sad to see this happen to any program.

Does Slumlord Supreme clear these purchases with TnT before he writes the check(s)? Do they care?

who's slumlord supreme

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

53 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Broken record for the blue glasses crowd.   Iowa isn’t paying them.  Any more than Carl isn’t paying their slew of ncaa finalist : champion : aa transfers.  

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

I’m not sure why people are acting like it’s very surprising that guys at Iowa that are getting recruited over late in their careers or are buried in the depth chart behind young studs are rumored to be leaving. They probably want to go somewhere that they have a chance to start. Makes sense to me. 

4 hours ago, Caveira said:

erk.  Dean.  Truax.   Messenbrink.  Ngao to name a few.    Some of those are ncaa champions / finalists.  

How much did Dean and Kerk get?

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Oh, so no Kerk, MM, Nagao this year?  That could make things interesting!

Nagao won't start.  Kerk never suited up for another college so he's not really a transfer the way everyone else.  MM is the only true transfer Penn State will start this year.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Ask Tom Ryan if Kerk is a transfer.

Are you saying Nagao continues to get worse under Cael's tutleage?

Why would Tom Ryan care?

Nagao did worse last year than the year at Minnesota.  Whether it was due to Cael, illness, burnout or other I don't know.

• Haha 1