Last Hoorah Team

wrestle87

It sounds like Spencer is done(read the Flo interview he gave), his heart isn’t in the sport anymore, really can’t blame him, maybe Cael and crew can help him rediscover joy in the process.

Snyder looked tired, kinda all set and ready to move on.  Dake…will be 37 by next cycle, and we have 99% just seen the end of Zain Retherford’s career.

We are going to be starting more from scratch than we think after this cycle.  We haven’t heard it yet, but this was quite possibly the end of the boom decade+ that JB started in London. 

Who is in position to fill those spots?

• Bob 1

12 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

It sounds like Spencer is done(read the Flo interview he gave), his heart isn’t in the sport anymore, really can’t blame him, maybe Cael and crew can help him rediscover joy in the process.

Snyder looked tired, kinda all set and ready to move on.  Dake…will be 37 by next cycle, and we have 99% just seen the end of Zain Retherford’s career.

We are going to be starting more from scratch than we think after this cycle.  We haven’t heard it yet, but this was quite possibly the end of the boom decade+ that JB started in London. 

Who is in position to fill those spots?

37 is super old for Dake's weight class.  Or will he have regressed to crawling by then? 

• Bob 2
  • Haha 1

We don't know if Snyder is done yet. I think he'll go until he can't. At 28, it wouldn't be unusual for a guy his size to give it a go in 2028

We don't even know if Burroughs is done yet...

It's a great generation of wrestlers. They've made it easy to be a fan. 

We've also had some promising performances from some age-group kids. 

• Bob 4
  • Fire 2

10 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

For 2028 I could see:

57: Spencer

65: Yianni

74: ???

86: Brooks

97: ???

HWT: Gable

That’s a solid 4 weights. There will be other guys that step up between now and then for the unknowns. The golden age could still be going strong, just with fresh faces.

You’ve got a better chance of seeing Dan Gable at heavyweight than Gable Steveson. 
Look for Brooks at 97. 
I don’t think Yianni is really a 65 anymore. Not long term. 

• Bob 1

I doubt Snyder is done.

I thought Dake would be done but Pyles in their recap video today said he thinks he might not be.

Lee seems 50/50 to me.

We have lots of young guys that could be ready to step in though.  Sure I’m forgetting some but off the top of my head guys like Blaze, Forrest, Lilledahl, Mendez, Alirez, Mesenbrink, O’Toole, Carr, Mirasola could be good replacements

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You’ve got a better chance of seeing Dan Gable at heavyweight than Gable Steveson. 
Look for Brooks at 97. 

Gable is running out of career options. Time to come home 

• Fire 1
  • Wrestle 1

2 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

For 2028 I could see:

57: Spencer

65: Yianni

74: ???

86: Brooks

97: ???

HWT: Gable

That’s a solid 4 weights. There will be other guys that step up between now and then for the unknowns. The golden age could still be going strong, just with fresh faces.

Give me a full size Vito at 65 kg and 57/65 look great. 74 is a huge question mark at this stage. 86 kg one last ride for Valencia? He will be 31, but he was a singlet pull away from getting his shot at Taylor this cycle. 97 Brooks. 125 probably Parris but need some American guys to push him here. I still think Parris could medal at heavy, but he has to keep improving. 

Edited by goheels1812

Starocci and Messenbrink both wrestle with styles that are meant for FS. Hopefully Lee can stay healthy. Maybe Gable comes back when he’s cut by the bills next month. And then maybe one of the recent U17 world champs has a breakthrough like Snyder or Gable did. 

Also I heard AJ Ferrari might be going to Michigan and competing for Italy. 

Edited by billyhoyle

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Look for Brooks at 97. 

WWE didn’t work out, NFL is unlikely to work out. I suppose he could pursue MMA. But if not, that leaves wrestling.

2 hours ago, denger said:

A friend of mine, whose only experience watching wrestling has been sitting next to me, said it well today.

"Half the team so far has won a medals, and the fans are disappointed?" 

Why would only half the team medaling with 0 golds not be disappointing? Especially without Russia. It’s the worst performance in 50+ years! You really have that low of expectations for USA Wrestling? This isn’t Greco. 

its also the way they lost. Brooks lost because of bad decisions. Parris had the worst possible gameplan for his opponent. Both are likely better wrestlers than guys they lost to. Dake came in as the favorite and lost. In what world is that all not disappointing?

4 minutes ago, skandar said:

Why would only half the team medaling with 0 golds not be disappointing? Especially without Russia. It’s the worst performance in 50+ years! You really have that low of expectations for USA Wrestling? This isn’t Greco. 

its also the way they lost. Brooks lost because of bad decisions. Parris had the worst possible gameplan for his opponent. Both are likely better wrestlers than guys they lost to. Dake came in as the favorite and lost. In what world is that all not disappointing?

Because if you acknowledge that there is a problem, you open the door to potential actions that might address it. 

3 hours ago, skandar said:

It was disappointing, but worst in 50+ years seems like a stretch.  I’ll take this output over 2008 (1 gold + 6 other guys no higher than 7th).

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

It was disappointing, but worst in 50+ years seems like a stretch.  I’ll take this output over 2008 (1 gold + 6 other guys no higher than 7th).

Ok, “arguably” the worst in 50+ years. That better? I’d take a gold with a full field over a bunch of (shared) bronze without Russia 

8 minutes ago, skandar said:

Ok, “arguably” the worst in 50+ years. That better? I’d take a gold with a full field over a bunch of (shared) bronze without Russia 

The field would have been even tougher with guys that actually represent Russia, but I think most would agree that all the Russian transfers make the field as is tougher than it was in most prior years

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

The field would have been even tougher with guys that actually represent Russia, but I think most would agree that all the Russian transfers make the field as is tougher than it was in most prior years

Russians transferring countries for the Olympics is not new. This field is weaker than any of the prior years with only 6 weights. If you want to make an argument that it’s tougher than the 8 or 10 weight years, I could see that. But then also you should have JB ranked as the greatest US wrestler ever (ahead of smith). 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 1

Russian transferring may not be new but it’s as abundant as ever. In fact it’s a lot of Dagestanis. Just look at 74kg. Dake wrestled Tsabalov for bronze, both guys in the other bronze match were Russian and the champ Tsamalov is also Russian. Of the 6 in the medal matches 4 were Russian. 

1 hour ago, skandar said:

No it’s not even close. Yes, we underperformed. Yes, we deserve some constructive criticism. But USA wrestling is not falling apart, and it’s not even close to our worst performance in 50 years. Even just back in 2016 was probably a worse performance. We only had two medals compared to 3. And as it’s been mentioned 2008 we only had one medal and even though it was gold there were seven weights and we had six other wrestlers who didn’t even come close to medaling. No way that’s better than this year! And that’s only going back 16 years… 

• Brain 1

20 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

No it’s not even close. Yes, we underperformed. Yes, we deserve some constructive criticism. But USA wrestling is not falling apart, and it’s not even close to our worst performance in 50 years. Even just back in 2016 was probably a worse performance. We only had two medals compared to 3. And as it’s been mentioned 2008 we only had one medal and even though it was gold there were seven weights and we had six other wrestlers who didn’t even come close to medaling. No way that’s better than this year! And that’s only going back 16 years… 

lololol

ask Dake or Spencer if they’d rather have one gold (2016) vs a silver and bronze(2024)

lmao at factoring in non medalists, but not the Russians that weren’t here. Knock down Dake and Snyder a spot for sure plus maybe Spencer.

People were hyping up the US preemptively asking if the US should have an asterisk next to their team title this year and this is the performance they put up???

this team shit the bed compared to expectations