What was the lore/hype around some of legends coming into college?

19 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

I remember watching ESPN’s The Season, and his Dad came off as both scary but also pretty funny and down to earth.

Gangsters by the Mat

would've been a good mini series 

8 hours ago, Jim L said:

Very unusual to for wrestling to get any mention in SI. HS wrestling maybe 1 or 2 times per decade.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1980/03/17/hes-really-a-rugged-competitor-high-school-star-kenny-monday-came-off-the-carpet-to-mop-up-on-the-mat

occasionally in "Faces in the Crowd"  

DOUG HARPER
TEMPERANCE, MICH.
Doug, who recently graduated from Bedford High, won his weight class in the Class A state wrestling championship for the second straight year to finish his career with a 143-8-0 three-year record. He was 101-0 his last two seasons.

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, Jim L said:

Very unusual to for wrestling to get any mention in SI. HS wrestling maybe 1 or 2 times per decade.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1980/03/17/hes-really-a-rugged-competitor-high-school-star-kenny-monday-came-off-the-carpet-to-mop-up-on-the-mat

4 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

DOUG HARPER
TEMPERANCE, MICH.
Doug, who recently graduated from Bedford High, won his weight class in the Class A state wrestling championship for the second straight year to finish his career with a 143-8-0 three-year record. He was 101-0 his last two seasons.

6 hours ago, ionel said:

4 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

DOUG HARPER
TEMPERANCE, MICH.

Gelogaev Featured in SI’s “Faces in the Crowd”

STILLWATER, Okla. – Oklahoma State heavyweight wrestler Alan Gelogaev was one of six athletes featured in this week’s edition of Sports Illustrated’s “Faces in the Crowd.”

Gelogaev, a junior from Moscow, Russia, has been a key part of the Cowboys’ perfect 14-0 record this year.

His individual record is a perfect 23-0, including a 9-0 mark against ranked opponents, and he ranks second on the team with 16 bonus-points wins.

To see Gelogaev featured in the Feb. 13 issue, visit http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/faces.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Gelogaev Featured in SI’s “Faces in the Crowd”

STILLWATER, Okla. – Oklahoma State heavyweight wrestler Alan Gelogaev was one of six athletes featured in this week’s edition of Sports Illustrated’s “Faces in the Crowd.”

Gelogaev, a junior from Moscow, Russia, has been a key part of the Cowboys’ perfect 14-0 record this year.

His individual record is a perfect 23-0, including a 9-0 mark against ranked opponents, and he ranks second on the team with 16 bonus-points wins.

To see Gelogaev featured in the Feb. 13 issue, visit http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/faces.

Would have loved to have seen G against some of the heavies of recent… could always count on some big moves from the big man

14 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

All great ones for sure.  I remember hearing about Nickerson from a Cornell wrestler who said was going to be better than Travis Lee.  That was a pretty big statement at the time.  Altons also legends.  And of course there was Spencer Lee.  But I put Marsteller above all of them.  I heard about Chance when he was still in middle school.  Some freak of nature youth wrestler who never lost and was training with Cary Kolat.  

My memory gets a little questionable as well, but I "remember" him beating nationally ranked PA state champ while he was in 8th grade (maybe he was a FR).

Either way maybe the GOAT of middle school wrestlers, the sentiment that he never met expectations as a 4X PA undefeated champ, multiple time AA in college shows that there is no worse curse than unlimited potential.

• Bob 1

15 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

All great ones for sure.  I remember hearing about Nickerson from a Cornell wrestler who said was going to be better than Travis Lee.  That was a pretty big statement at the time.  Altons also legends.  And of course there was Spencer Lee.  But I put Marsteller above all of them.  I heard about Chance when he was still in middle school.  Some freak of nature youth wrestler who never lost and was training with Cary Kolat.  

Marstellar entered the Nittany Lion Open in middle school.  He defeated a PSU backup I think. DNP but he was in middle school.  

• Bob 1

12 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Marstellar entered the Nittany Lion Open in middle school.  He defeated a PSU backup I think. DNP but he was in middle school.  

This was the match he won at the 2009 NLO.  Beat PSU backup Tom Reynolds when he was in 8th grade.

*Tom Reynolds L, 3-6 dec. Chance Marsteller,

• Bob 1

https://vault.si.com/vault/1975/02/24/driving-up-with-a-compact-carr

I'm sure very few of you ever had the pleasure of watching Jimmy Carr (Erie, Pa. and Univ of Ky). I have a long and interesting history with the Carr family dating back to 1975. Great people, great competitors. I believe that if Jimmy hadn't started training year round at such an early age, he would have been the next Gable or Sanderson. Just an incredible talent. Balance, technique, speed, strength, smarts...just an incredible athlete.  I know from spending time reading comments on various websites, that no one from any era could have been good enough to compete with wrestlers today...I would vigorously dispute that precept because of folks like Jimmy (and others of course). 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 2

On 7/11/2024 at 12:02 PM, PortaJohn said:

3) As an older feller tie between Chance Marstellar and Aaron Pico

I will always remember the Pico hype that the owner of my first gym had.  We used to watch all of his matches together, just in total astonishment of what was going on.  It came a huge shock when he decided not to pursue the sport any further.

4 hours ago, BloodRound said:

I will always remember the Pico hype that the owner of my first gym had.  We used to watch all of his matches together, just in total astonishment of what was going on.  It came a huge shock when he decided not to pursue the sport any further.

Would've been fun to watch him compete in college.  His run at the 2016 OTT's was extremely impressive.  Side note, first time I ever heard of Yazdani is when he impressively beat Pico at 2014  World JR's.  

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

8 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Would've been fun to watch him compete in college.  His run at the 2016 OTT's was extremely impressive.  Side note, first time I ever heard of Yazdani is when he impressively beat Pico at 2014  World JR's.  

Wasn't he like 7 and 0 against Zane?

On 7/11/2024 at 4:37 PM, MPhillips said:

Al Fried 1989 STED. Believe he beat Kolat at a US Open after college.

Palmer STED.

Schlatter PERRY.

Taylor SPG.

Chris Phillips MONROEVILLE is one that got away.

Agreed with Mocco and Pico.

I went to Eds, here's my perspective.

Alan Fried was as hyped as anyone coming out of high school, definitely moreso than the Brands as he owned them up until that point. Gable and the Brands turned that around in college. 

Dustin Schlatter and Metcalf were more hyped than Lance Palmer imo, although Lance was a grade below. Metcalf / Schlatter was a crazy rivalry. Sucks Schlatter got injured. Lance and Collin had a little extra intimidation factor as both of them had absolutely shredded physiques at all times. 

Collin Palmer was hyped to be even better than Lance. I think he could've been better in college as well. He injured his back pretty bad going into what I think was senior years or so, even before the Taylor match, and kept getting worse. Caused him to retire his freshman year at OSU unfortunately. Could've been great. 

Logan / David Taylor were always incredibly hyped. I think Taylor was the most hyped kid I've seen, he was the wonder child and was one of the few to never lose any hype over the years. 

And Steve Mocco was hyped to be the best heavyweight of all time. Dude was an absolute freak in high school wrestling for Blair. 

• Bob 2

14 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I went to Eds, here's my perspective.

Sounds like I hit most of them...

Wrestled with Al on an Ohio Team that went out west, he is a couple years younger. We wrestled all the same tourneys growing up. He was a stud as a little dude too...💪

• Bob 2

On 7/11/2024 at 4:47 PM, Ohio Elite said:

Better than Metcalf vs Schlatter? Very possible....

On 7/11/2024 at 8:34 PM, Broomstick said:

Taylor v Stieber at Ironman?

I still think Metcalf VS Schlatter Round 1, which was at the Medina tournament in Ohio is the best High School wrestling match this side of Y2K... maybe on either side of Y2K.

Being a Michigander and having my kids get their asses handed to them repeatedly by that era of Roy Hall's boys (and Metcalf was by far his best product ever), I went in very naive.

The buildup for that finals match was intense.  Everyone knew it was going to happen and every round it got closer, everyone started whispering a little more loudly about it.

Finally it was going to happen and I couldn't believe my ears - Everbody (okay not EVERYbody... but most everybody that I talked to about it) wanted the match.  They were all saying that Metcalf couldn't handle his pace or his power and it completely blew me away because Metcalf hadn't wrestled anybody in nearly a decade who couldn't handle his pace and Schlatter was actually coming up to 145lbs,whereas Metcalf had been there a couple of years now and had always been the larger wrestler.

I came away awe-stricken at this match.

I then remember when Senior Nationals came along and they were both entered and the same sort of energy was in the air.  Everyone knew it was going to happen again.  Metcalf was still considered the underdog because many considered that Metcalf was gifted that first match. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5155124-145lbs-brent-metcalf-vs-dustin-schlatter-05-sr-natls

• Bob 4

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

36 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I still think Metcalf VS Schlatter Round 1, which was at the Medina tournament in Ohio is the best High School wrestling match this side of Y2K... maybe on either side of Y2K.

Being a Michigander and having my kids get their asses handed to them repeatedly by that era of Roy Hall's boys (and Metcalf was by far his best product ever), I went in very naive.

The buildup for that finals match was intense.  Everyone knew it was going to happen and every round it got closer, everyone started whispering a little more loudly about it.

Finally it was going to happen and I couldn't believe my ears - Everbody (okay not EVERYbody... but most everybody that I talked to about it) wanted the match.  They were all saying that Metcalf couldn't handle his pace or his power and it completely blew me away because Metcalf hadn't wrestled anybody in nearly a decade who couldn't handle his pace and Schlatter was actually coming up to 145lbs,whereas Metcalf had been there a couple of years now and had always been the larger wrestler.

I came away awe-stricken at this match.

I then remember when Senior Nationals came along and they were both entered and the same sort of energy was in the air.  Everyone knew it was going to happen again.  Metcalf was still considered the underdog because many considered that Metcalf was gifted that first match. 

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5155124-145lbs-brent-metcalf-vs-dustin-schlatter-05-sr-natls

I watched the first match live. It was Awsome! I remember Schlatter had pinned his first 4 opponents all under a minute. Metcalf had 2 pins and 2 techs on his way to finals.  

Interesting enough USA wrestling mag had them both ranked #1 in the country. Metcalf at 152. ( I guess they didn't get the memo he was staying at 145.)   Talk about a super match...

• Bob 1