Iowa will need the transfer portal

The Hawkeyes finished 6th in final recruiting on Flo.  Angelo Ferrari #2, Miguel Estrada #48, and Kael Voinovich #99;  Kyle Parco transferred in. Looks like they'll have to use the portal to keep up with everyone.

It really does seem like the Hawks are always teetering on the edge of a dark age without the portal as of late (relative to the program, of course).  I wonder what is the true root of the problem besides the obvious Penn State dominance luring top recruits, etc.

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Maxwell Smart said:

The Hawkeyes finished 6th in final recruiting on Flo.  Angelo Ferrari #2, Miguel Estrada #48, and Kael Voinovich #99;  Kyle Parco transferred in. Looks like they'll have to use the portal to keep up with everyone.

The portal closed May 3rd

Without the portal all top teams would score fewer points at NCAA but Iowa's relative place within that group might suffer. Maybe I'm wrong because I did not do the math on NCAA points scored by portal acquisitions. Maybe someone with more time can answer that question. 

Iowa is no longer what they used to be. They will be competing for less than first place for many many years to come. Perhaps the unhinged angry boyz will retire and allow those more capable of team leadership to lead the team to a former level. 

Iowa will be fine imo. Current team is pretty stacked. But they def should be focused on getting one of these super recruits still available if possible... Then they can continue to focus on portal. 🙂

From @Husker_Du 's last pod it sounds like they are offering guys a lot to flip but it seems like kids are just rather disinterested in the program. They are also dealing with two teams reporting them for tampering and reaching out before guys enter the portal which is a bag of worms. For these young guys I think that they need to see you can win there and by win I don't mean AA I mean win it all because with the level these kids are out now it feels like it's probably all or nothing for them. Outside of Spencer they really have not shown that in recent years.

5 hours ago, Rassling said:

Iowa is no longer what they used to be. They will be competing for less than first place for many many years to come. Perhaps the unhinged angry boyz will retire and allow those more capable of team leadership to lead the team to a former level. 

This.  They can't develop their own wrestlers because the old school Brands brawler crap doesn't work anymore, and they're incapable of evolving.  The sport has change and they can't keep up.  Even their store bought team can't excel under their leadership.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

This.  They can't develop their own wrestlers because the old school Brands brawler crap doesn't work anymore, and they're incapable of evolving.  The sport has change and they can't keep up.  Even their store bought team can't excel under their leadership.

Ayala and Glazier showed some pretty good “development” IMO

• Bob 1

Counterpoint:

There’s a good chance Iowa gets blanked at Penn State this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I crazy? Didn’t Iowa just win a national title like 3 years ago? Why the brands hate?

Because they fall apart more often than not.

They were the #1 team at the start of 2022 and imploded.

35 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Counterpoint:

There’s a good chance Iowa gets blanked at Penn State this year.

Well for one I wouldn’t say showing development and being blanked by Penn State are mutually exclusive.

And I’d bet they get at least one out of Ayala, Parco and Brands, probably wouldn’t rule out Arnold over Haines either.

37 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Because they fall apart more often than not.

They were the #1 team at the start of 2022 and imploded.

Any team except PSU would probably love to “implode” to third place after losing a 3x champ to injury.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Maxwell Smart said:

it seems like the more money you put into portal guys, the less goes to actual recruit, and the more tempting it is rely on the portal.

Plus who wants to recruit highschoolers when you can get guys you know can handle college

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Did they? Ayala was a top 5 P4P recruit coming out (and lost to a guy he had battled with in HS in natty finals), I’d consider that living up to expectations more than anything. And Glazier went 1-2 at NCAA’s I believe.

5 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

Did they? Ayala was a top 5 P4P recruit coming out (and lost to a guy he had battled with in HS in natty finals), I’d consider that living up to expectations more than anything. And Glazier went 1-2 at NCAA’s I believe.

Lol.  Yes Glazier had a bad tournament, but he did show development.

Looking at Flo’s 2021 recruiting class rankings, Figueroa was #1 and Ayala #5, and if I’m not mistaken they are the only 2 on the whole list who have made an NCAA final so far (and there were 2 PSU guys ranked ahead of Ayala).

27 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Lol.  Yes Glazier had a bad tournament, but he did show development.

Looking at Flo’s 2021 recruiting class rankings, Figueroa was #1 and Ayala #5, and if I’m not mistaken they are the only 2 on the whole list who have made an NCAA final so far (and there were 2 PSU guys ranked ahead of Ayala).

Checks out...

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031579-class-of-2021-high-school-big-board/38557-senior-big-board

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Well for one I wouldn’t say showing development and being blanked by Penn State are mutually exclusive.

And I’d bet they get at least one out of Ayala, Parco and Brands, probably wouldn’t rule out Arnold over Haines either.

Ayala at 125? I'd take Lilledahl. If he goes 133, as rumored, he could beat Nagao, sure.

Parco isn't beating SVN. Arnold over Haines is laughable. He just lost twice to a high school kid who will be the Penn State 3rd string 174, if Haines goes that weight.

Brands over Barr, I could see.