Coaching Carousel if John Smith retires

scorenomore

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

• The prevailing word is that John is done at the end of the season. There was a lot of speculation that he was waiting for Tulsa's NCAAs before retiring. Of course there were a lot of other theories over the years. But right now, all indications are that he's done at the end of the year. 

• The advent/development of the portal is not a deterrent to the OK State job; it's an asset. OKST will be hunters for transfers, not the hunted. 

I love this type of info, I have heard different, but certainly not doubting.  They continue to pipeline these highschoolers through Stilly, lots of rumors Jax Forrest could be in Stilly next year, and all roads lead to being a poke. Just as Beric Jordan this year, move in, and road lead to OSU. My point? Smith is the driver here, so it would shock me if he road off into the sunset after this year. 

On 12/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, Idaho said:

Thread #234 on John Smith leaving. 

The only thing that matters, is that it won't be Chris Pendleton. 

GO BEAVS! 

Why would you be so confident in this?  OkSU is definitely a better job than OrSU IMO.  I’m not so sure that’s the case with Pop and NC State though…

2 hours ago, H82Lose said:

I love this type of info, I have heard different, but certainly not doubting.  They continue to pipeline these highschoolers through Stilly, lots of rumors Jax Forrest could be in Stilly next year, and all roads lead to being a poke. Just as Beric Jordan this year, move in, and road lead to OSU. My point? Smith is the driver here, so it would shock me if he road off into the sunset after this year. 

John is not the one that makes that happen. Mark Perry, Sr. is. 

• Fire 3

TBD

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Why would you be so confident in this?  OkSU is definitely a better job than OrSU IMO.  I’m not so sure that’s the case with Pop and NC State though…

"Definitely a better job" for who? Everyone? I disagree,- there are a lot of people this would not be a "better" job for... but it doesn't really matter because Pendleton put an end to the speculation and will be busy with another program for awhile.  

• Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

"Definitely a better job" for who? Everyone? I disagree,- there are a lot of people this would not be a "better" job for... but it doesn't really matter because Pendleton put an end to the speculation and will be busy with another program for awhile.  

“IMO.”  But it’s his alma mater and one of the most storied programs in wrestling.  He’s doing a good job at Oregon State, but I THINK he could do even better at OSU

Also, it’s easy for Pendleton to put an end to the speculation now, the job’s not actually open.  And tons of coaches in all sports deny interest in other jobs only to take it a couple weeks later 

10 hours ago, Idaho said:

LOL @ thinking Pendleton or any coach wouldn't leave Oregon State in a heartbeat for OSU or any other big time job.  Oregon State is a nice stepping stone for a new coach to cut his teeth, that's all Pendleton is doing right now until he makes the jump to a top program (whether OSU or elsewhere)

• Fire 1

Like others have said. Smith has seemed a bit fried mentally/burned out the last few years. Any coach that’s done it as well as he has for so long gets my props. Me and my buddies were joking about how we now understood in our bones how and why Gable retired so early lol. 

I actually might root for Fix to win now. I don’t want Smiths last NC to be.. Ferrari.

10 hours ago, 1032004 said:

“IMO.”  But it’s his alma mater and one of the most storied programs in wrestling.  He’s doing a good job at Oregon State, but I THINK he could do even better at OSU

Also, it’s easy for Pendleton to put an end to the speculation now, the job’s not actually open.  And tons of coaches in all sports deny interest in other jobs only to take it a couple weeks later 

36 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

LOL @ thinking Pendleton or any coach wouldn't leave Oregon State in a heartbeat for OSU or any other big time job.  Oregon State is a nice stepping stone for a new coach to cut his teeth, that's all Pendleton is doing right now until he makes the jump to a top program (whether OSU or elsewhere)

Ok Partners.... we shall see.... Regardless it was fun for him to finish above OK State in his second year as head coach at OSU. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Ok Partners.... we shall see.... Regardless it was fun for him to finish above OK State in his second year as head coach at OSU. 

Again, Neutral here.  Do you actually believe Oregon ST is equal or a better job than Okie state? If so, stop dude. If Chris P was asked to take the Okie State job, he would leave IN A HEARTBEAT. NO QUESTION. Oregon ST will never be a power 5, whereas Okie ST is and with a more aggressive coach, they could be battling the Iowa's and Ohio St's of the world.  I am not sure anyone will catch Penn St, I think they are a tier above, BUT there is that second tier 

26 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

they could be battling the Iowa's and Ohio St's of the world.  I am not sure anyone will catch Penn St, I think they are a tier above, BUT there is that second tier 

What do you mean "could be?"  They beat Iowa the year before Ferrari and the Buck Nuts refuse to wrestle.  The Focus tried to burn down the program and they are now rebuilding from the fire damage.

Edited by ionel

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

What do you mean "could be?"  They beat Iowa the year before Ferrari and the Buck Nuts refuse to wrestle.  The Focus tried to burn down the program and they are now rebuilding from the fire damage.

Okie State has not been a power in YEARS.  OKIE State is and has been declining for years. Right now, tell me how many AA's are on that current team. Fix is a lock, but who else? Would you be surprised if they only had Fix? I wouldn't. John sold his soul to the devil when he sign Ferrari, that whole room hated Ferrari. Now, to my point of why I don't think he is gone after this year.  He has a pretty good recruiting class with Carrol and Thompson leading the way.  Both, I believe could start as freshman. 

14 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

Okie State has not been a power in YEARS.  OKIE State is and has been declining for years. Right now, tell me how many AA's are on that current team. Fix is a lock, but who else? Would you be surprised if they only had Fix? I wouldn't. John sold his soul to the devil when he sign Ferrari, that whole room hated Ferrari. Now, to my point of why I don't think he is gone after this year.  He has a pretty good recruiting class with Carrol and Thompson leading the way.  Both, I believe could start as freshman. 

You said "battling ... second tier" your words not mine.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

Again, Neutral here.  Do you actually believe Oregon ST is equal or a better job than Okie state? If so, stop dude. If Chris P was asked to take the Okie State job, he would leave IN A HEARTBEAT. NO QUESTION. Oregon ST will never be a power 5, whereas Okie ST is and with a more aggressive coach, they could be battling the Iowa's and Ohio St's of the world.  I am not sure anyone will catch Penn St, I think they are a tier above, BUT there is that second tier 

Oregon State is, by definition, a Power Five.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, ionel said:

Do you mean Sr or Jr?  Sr had his time, Jr there's a reason he left Illinois and maybe a reason he left Iowa, don't know about that.  But he seems to be in a very good place for his talents and doing well.  So ... nope. 

I don’t know why Jr. left HWC but I do know why basically the entire women’s national team went to Sunkist.

But no way he goes to OkSt.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

32 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

I would be pretty surprised if Plott didn’t AA. He has looked great this year. I also think they get one on the podium between Mastro, Gfeller and Wittlake but definitely would not be shocked if they all failed to AA. 

1 hour ago, H82Lose said:

Oregon State's not a Power 5 school....that's funny. But anyway....Did I say it was a better job or did I say it's not the best job for everyone in a previous post? Did I say it was a better job, or did I say "we shall see" which is also absolutely true since it's all hypothetical and John Smith is the head coach, and Pendleton is let's say, busy the next number of years.  I will say this again, it was fun to finish ahead of OK State last year in Pendleton's second year... is that what you're worked up about? 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Gus said:

I would be pretty surprised if Plott didn’t AA. He has looked great this year. I also think they get one on the podium between Mastro, Gfeller and Wittlake but definitely would not be shocked if they all failed to AA. 

Gfeller MAYBE, no chance on Mastro or Wittlake IMO. I agree Plott could AA, he has wrestled well. 

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Oregon State's not a Power 5 school....that's funny. But anyway....Did I say it was a better job or did I say it's not the best job for everyone in a previous post? Did I say it was a better job, or did I say "we shall see" which is also absolutely true since it's all hypothetical and John Smith is the head coach, and Pendleton is let's say, busy the next number of years.  I will say this again, it was fun to finish ahead of OK State last year in Pendleton's second year... is that what you're worked up about? 

I am not worked up, lol. My only point is, if OSU calls CP is answering and would leave in a heartbeat. Your point of finishing higher than Okie State, is my point, Okie state is on a downward spiral

Okie is THE most accomplished program in the history of NCAA wrestling! Yes, it’s been awhile since their last national championship, but they have the resources needed to get another one. The job would be a big upgrade for everyone except Brands and Cael. Doesn’t mean everyone else would want to leave their current job, but it would be an upgrade nonetheless.