For '24-'25 Season are Iowa, Michigan, Oklahoma State Fighting for NCAA 3rd?

Right now I would put Iowa and Ohio St fighting for 2 with OSU right on their heals - behind them ASU, Nebraska and NC St all have potential to move up into trophy contention. 

I don't think there's a clear cut #2 at all.  

WrestleStat currently projects Oklahoma State as a solid #2, which I think is fair.  And that's with Spratley/Hughes/Jamison/Williams scoring 7 team points between them--which I think is very low.

Ohio State has a lot of upside up and down the lineup, but Mendez can't do better than he did last year, and I'd venture to say the same about Welsh.  Feldman could take another step up so that shouldn't be ignored.  

Iowa with Parco and Brands could get to around that 70 point mark.  With Ferrari even more.  

I wouldn't count out NC State either.  If Trumble emerges as a contender they could have 7 or 8 AA's and a finalist or two.  

• Bob 1

Iowas lineup there’s a lot hinging on whether or not one of Caliendo or Kennedy can make 157. If neither can and one of those guys is on the bench it diminishes their point potential quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Iowa with Parco and Brands could get to around that 70 point mark.  With Ferrari even more.  

4 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

AJ coming onboard at 197 would change things

Y'all gotta stop putting them into these projected lineups. They're not going back to OkSt and Iowa's AD has already denied letting them in there. They won't be wrestling at all next year. Just accept it. 

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Okie State w/Hendrickson, Plott, Hamiti, and supporting cast bests tOSU and Iowa.  AJ coming onboard at 197 would change things

Yes yes it would.

1000_F_203577294_ilcOtGkryyn5GhKzOrFsTIa

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Y'all gotta stop putting them into these projected lineups. They're not going back to OkSt and Iowa's AD has already denied letting them in there. They won't be wrestling at all next year. Just accept it. 

Easy there, pal.  I truly don't care either way, only mentioning that if he did wrestle for Iowa they'd have a better shot at 2nd. 

40 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Yeah...they are set with. young options there with Carroll and Merrill.... I am pretty sure that DT is smarter than that. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

26 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Easy there, pal.  I truly don't care either way, only mentioning that if he did wrestle for Iowa they'd have a better shot at 2nd. 

Well you are also penciling him in as starter ahead of a guy that is returning that he (Focus) lost to last year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Well you are also penciling him in as starter ahead of a guy that is returning that he (Focus) lost to last year.

Good point.  One has to wonder if you can get DQ'd in a wrestle-off for the double-split-bird-salute, or if that sort of behavior is encouraged in that new wrestling dungeon of theirs. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie
  • Bob 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Good point.  One has to wonder if you can get DQ'd in a wrestle-off for the double-split-bird-salute, or if that sort of behavior is encouraged in that new wrestling dungeon of theirs. 

Well, it clearly ISNT encouraged because shortly after he did that they decided to not let him on the team...

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie said:

I don't think there's a clear cut #2 at all.  

WrestleStat currently projects Oklahoma State as a solid #2, which I think is fair.  And that's with Spratley/Hughes/Jamison/Williams scoring 7 team points between them--which I think is very low.

Ohio State has a lot of upside up and down the lineup, but Mendez can't do better than he did last year, and I'd venture to say the same about Welsh.  Feldman could take another step up so that shouldn't be ignored.  

I wouldn't count out NC State either.  If Trumble emerges as a contender they could have 7 or 8 AA's and a finalist or two.  

How do we use NC State's performance this year at NCAAs to inform a projection for next year? They really crapped the bed. Based on seeds they were a runaway favorite to finish second with 94 points, a full 31 points clear of third. Instead they scored 49.5 points and dropped all the way to 11th place, a full 21.5 points behind third. 

I am not sure how to put that in historic perspective, but my gut tells me it has to be one of the all-time great fails.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

How do we use NC State's performance this year at NCAAs to inform a projection for next year? They really crapped the bed. Based on seeds they were a runaway favorite to finish second with 94 points, a full 31 points clear of third. Instead they scored 49.5 points and dropped all the way to 11th place, a full 21.5 points behind third. 

I am not sure how to put that in historic perspective, but my gut tells me it has to be one of the all-time great fails.

It was pretty bad.😪

1 hour ago, TNwrestling said:

A) not a fan of AJ B) although unlikely there's a chance he wrestle for the Hawks next year

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

25 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Definitely a fair question, and it's actually much worse than I would've even guessed digging into it a little.  

Looking just at seed/place difference, NC State was at -22 in this year's tourney.  This is the worst mark in the last 10 years of the tournament (possibly all time, but I stopped looking after 10 years).  Beyond that, NC State was last place in this metric each of the past 3 seasons (-22 in 2024, -11 in 2023, -11 in 2022).  

Obvious conclusions here are that they're either being overseeded, or completely falling apart at the end of the year.  Probably a bit of both but I would lean more towards the latter.  

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Reminds me of the Mizzou teams of the MAC.

2 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

A.J. increases female attendance by 50%.  He has beautiful hair, and his muscular physique is every woman's dream.  

Clearly you have not heard of this dad-bod fad going around the last fifteen or so years.

Just as clear that Iowa wrestler Ed Banach was a lock for four titles before he won his third by demolishing Mark Schultz.

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

37 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

But then NC State has been getting outperformed by Vtech at nationals.  So I'm guessing it is not just the unilateral domination over a weak conference that we saw with Mizzou in the MAC.

Virginia Tech and UNC have both outperformed seeding in recent years.  It's not strictly an ACC thing, although that is a factor.  

I think it can be partially attributed to the wrestlers, Ryan Jack and Camcho have underperformed at NCAA's seemingly every year. A singular instance this year but Andonian and Stewart were both certainly seeded lower than their skill level just given the amount of matches they had on the year.