RBY GOFUNDME

On 5/19/2024 at 9:51 PM, billyhoyle said:

If your reasoning behind this is because RBY is using the loophole that allows him to compete because he has a grandparent from Mexico and wasn't going to make team USA, I definitely see the logic there.  If you have a general problem with a PSU athletes representing their country and refuse to support them because they aren't American, that is a huge issue. 

As you just said, it's because he is an American and using a loophole in the rules to compete.  Just like many Russians or Michiganders do.  It makes the Olympics a worse event, just like how the portal has made college athletics worse. 

How in the world does this make the Olympics worse?  Getting more qualities competitors in does not make it worse.  Whose to blame someone wanting to be an Olympian?  I don't find anything wrong with it.  If I was good enough to have a shot, but through other means than not making it for the US, I see nothing wrong with that.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

On 5/26/2024 at 12:10 PM, Fred said:

I think I get where you’re coming from.

This practice of begging on the internet for money to pay for stuff like this is mind boggling to me and others I know, who also grew up just scraping by. 

Tacky, at best

I personally have nothing wrong with people raising money for their family to go to watch them in Paris.  How many people have that amount of extra cash lying around for a trip to the Olympics?  You don't have to like people reaching out and asking for help, just shut up and ignore it.  You have problems with RBY and some of the things he has done?  Fine.  Move on.  Personally if I was a Olympic Athlete, I would love to have my family there to watch and I would bet that there would be a lot of other family members, fans, and people in the community that would love to get them there also.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 3:35 PM, PAFAN01 said:

I know RBY is wrestling for Mexico!   A GOFUNDME page has been started to help his family go to Paris.

Just in case anyone would like to contribute.

Can search - Roman Bravo-young Gofundme

Hi all, as stated in my original post, "just in case anyone would like to contribute".  This was intended to provide information. Totally voluntary.

If you want to discuss whether GOFUNDME is good or bad then start your own post.

This is a wrestling FORUM.

Edited by PAFAN01
added FORUM
  • Brain 1

9 hours ago, Husker U said:

How in the world does this make the Olympics worse?  Getting more qualities competitors in does not make it worse.  Whose to blame someone wanting to be an Olympian?  I don't find anything wrong with it.  If I was good enough to have a shot, but through other means than not making it for the US, I see nothing wrong with that.  

It's just my opinion as a fan.  I think the Olympics are a great event because they showcase competition between different countries.  If one country is better than the others at a particular sport, sending their athletes to compete for other countries takes away from this part of the event. If all country affiliation were to be taken away and the Olympics became a  competition of the best athletes in every sport, it would still be a great event, but it would just not really be the Olympics. 

I don't blame the athletes for doing this though-they are chasing a dream. 

• Fire 1

I don't particularly care as long as people are up front about it.
This one is...pretty straight forward.

I mean, I guess. I don't see a demonstration of need from a guy who was talking about how much money it was going to take to get him to come back for his final season and who signed a NIL deal with an MMA manager for an undisclosed amount. Is he burning through his money? Not willing to pay for his family if they can't afford it? Simply taking advantage of the gofundanything world live in to save himself 15 grand?

Even the health/injury ones can be questionable. They pop up the day something happens from a friend close to the family for a random amount with no details on how much is actually needed. I'd like to think it all goes to the stated cause/need, but my skeptical nature won't allow it. Gofundme is the modern-day Nigerian prince email.
  • Bob 1

41 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I mean, I guess. I don't see a demonstration of need from a guy who was talking about how much money it was going to take to get him to come back for his final season and who signed a NIL deal with an MMA manager for an undisclosed amount. Is he burning through his money? Not willing to pay for his family if they can't afford it? Simply taking advantage of the gofundanything world live in to save himself 15 grand?

Even the health/injury ones can be questionable. They pop up the day something happens from a friend close to the family for a random amount with no details on how much is actually needed. I'd like to think it all goes to the stated cause/need, but my skeptical nature won't allow it. Gofundme is the modern-day Nigerian prince email.

This isn't just as simple as getting an AirBNB for a few days and calling it done. I live near a hub (MSP) and my direct flight to Paris is approximately $800 on Delta/Air France. That's pretty decent. Since he's been in the news lately (and I talked to him about this at the HOF) Coleman Scott had over 75 people in London watching. That's a large family and may be on the high end. So let's be conservative here, say it's 20 people that's part of the family who wants to go - it's the Olympics, I doubt he's just talking about just his immediate family - Just 20 people MINIMUM is like $16,000 in airfare alone. If you're going hotels, the Olympics typically have minimums for lodging. You aren't just going to go in for one day, get a room for two days and peace out. We've got thousands and thousands of people trying to do the same thing. 

So even if RBY had a big NIL payout and has a decent check coming in, I don't know how many people can just drop 50K down at the drop of a hat, especially wrestlers fresh off their college career. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

This isn't just as simple as getting an AirBNB for a few days and calling it done. I live near a hub (MSP) and my direct flight to Paris is approximately $800 on Delta/Air France. That's pretty decent. Since he's been in the news lately (and I talked to him about this at the HOF) Coleman Scott had over 75 people in London watching. That's a large family and may be on the high end. So let's be conservative here, say it's 20 people that's part of the family who wants to go - it's the Olympics, I doubt he's just talking about just his immediate family - Just 20 people MINIMUM is like $16,000 in airfare alone. If you're going hotels, the Olympics typically have minimums for lodging. You aren't just going to go in for one day, get a room for two days and peace out. We've got thousands and thousands of people trying to do the same thing. 

So even if RBY had a big NIL payout and has a decent check coming in, I don't know how many people can just drop 50K down at the drop of a hat, especially wrestlers fresh off their college career. 

The goal of his gofundme is $15,000. I guess he could be asking for help covering only a portion of their expenses, and he's footing the rest. But if someone wants to send their 8th cousin thrice removed, then GTFO.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:19 PM, billyhoyle said:

It's just my opinion as a fan.  I think the Olympics are a great event because they showcase competition between different countries.  If one country is better than the others at a particular sport, sending their athletes to compete for other countries takes away from this part of the event. If all country affiliation were to be taken away and the Olympics became a  competition of the best athletes in every sport, it would still be a great event, but it would just not really be the Olympics. 

I don't blame the athletes for doing this though-they are chasing a dream. 

I think we are already there with Freestyle.

57 kg: Akbarov, Micic, RBY

65 kg: Musukaev, Islam Dudaev

74: Tsabablov, Kadz, Salk

86 kg: Myles, Osman, Kurugliev

97: Taz, Magomedov

To name a couple .

And these are people winning medals, they have no actual connection to the wrestling systems in the countries they rep.

12 hours ago, GrandOlm said:

To name a couple .

And these are people winning medals, they have no actual connection to the wrestling systems in the countries they rep.

I am pretty sure Dake should be on the 74 KG list at this point.  He has Benjamin Buttoned himself to an age so young that he is actually older than the United States is.  Ergo, he is now representing a country different than the one he should be.

I believe that would put him to be of Onondaga descent?  We could just call him Iroquois, I guess?  I think that would be pretty insensitive to just 'lump' him in as Iroquois, though.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

16 hours ago, GrandOlm said:

To name a couple .

It has been going on for years with the Russian athletes. It is becoming more common with U.S. athletes, which I think is due to the improved U.S. freestyle results and RTCs wanting athletes to compete internationally even if they can't make the U.S. team. That doesn't mean it's a good thing. 

On 6/3/2024 at 8:29 AM, Crotalus said:

Yeah, I get the bad optics. I also view it how I think I'd view it. You get a couple hundred K and that money SHOULD be put away, you don't touch it, that money doesn't exist. You invest it and you forget about it. It's not even real to you. It's just over there....and you look at it a couple times a year or you have someone manage it and you see how it's doing. 

But I certainly get why people wouldn't care and wouldn't want to give him any money...but I don't need to see that it's a dire situation. It doesn't always have to be the worst possible case scenario IMO. It's not ALWAYS for the little girl who has cancer. It can just be giving a few bucks because you're a fan of a guy. 

If I had a kid or grandkid or whatever who was potentially going to be competing in the Olympics, I would have been making plans to get there as soon as I became aware of this being a possibility. Working extra shifts, selling stuff I did not need, having yard sales, bake sales… whatever it took to save the money. Asking strangers on the internet to chip in… no way. No different than standing out on the street with a cardboard sign. 

This is not like people with real needs… like medical emergencies 

48 minutes ago, Caveira said:

How much $$$ does it cost to have your child do 8th grade twice????  ~30k?

Think of the cost of all those video games too.  

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I don't think he actually did it.  Just stayed home and gamed. Sounds legal!

There is opportunity cost lost to skipping a grade no ?    Feed.  Home room board utilities heat etc….. not to mention driving him around for training and what not.  Did he have to pay the school to “not attend”?   If private I bet yes.   If public prolly not.  

After this “year off” I’m essentially paying for the same stuff again.

After that and world class training and club …. Now betting the public to help foot the bill is sus.     

• Bob 1
  • Clown 1

• 2 weeks later...

$15k isn’t going to go a long way toward getting family to the Olympics in Paris. 

As a kid, my stepdad was a US Olympian (not wrestling). We did all sorts of fundraising so that our family could attend the games and it still wasn’t enough to get everyone there (the kids stayed home). People couldn’t believe that we couldn’t afford to go without these fundraiser. I think society has conditioned us to believe Olympic athletes must be rich, just like their NFL/NBA/MLB counterparts, when the truth is many of them are just scraping by. If you don’t want to contribute, just move on. 

On the topic of “transfers” in international wrestling - I think it makes it more interesting. We are attending this year in Paris and cannot wait to watch the 57kg bracket because of all of the Americans in it. Will still be pulling for Spencer Lee though! 

• Fire 2

On 6/10/2024 at 12:50 PM, Caveira said:

There is opportunity cost lost to skipping a grade no ?    Feed.  Home room board utilities heat etc….. not to mention driving him around for training and what not.  Did he have to pay the school to “not attend”?   If private I bet yes.   If public prolly not.  

After this “year off” I’m essentially paying for the same stuff again.

After that and world class training and club …. Now betting the public to help foot the bill is sus.     

Re-read this and let us know if you need to repeat the eighth grade.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

55 minutes ago, Caveira said:

I spelled begging wrong thanks.  

Bud, there is a shit tonne of other shit that also makes it improbable to read.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

For those who are actually interested.

Seems like y’all high and mighty psu fans don’t like to put your $ where your mouth is.  Maybe more agree with me than u think?

• Clown 1

15 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Seems like y’all high and mighty psu fans don’t like to put your $ where your mouth is.  Maybe more agree with me than u think?

Contribute to him. Don't contribute to him. I could care less. My point was that your semi-literate rants to complain about someone else's education shows a real lack of self awareness.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge