Spencer v RBY

BAC

Maybe I missed it but I haven't heard much talk about Spencer Lee potentially squaring off against Roman Bravo-Young at the Olympics this summer. Who do you got?  And, who are you rooting for?

Thinking back to two years ago, there was a lot of talk about possibly Lee bumping up (or RBY dropping down) for the epic 2xer v 3xer matchup.  No one really thought it would happen and it didn't, but it was still a bummer.  RBY later talked about it in an interview, and we all figured we'd have to wait for WTTs or OTTs.  Well, that didn't happen either when RBY went to represent Mexico, but... whaddaya know, both guys qualified at 57kg (along with Micic/Cruz).  

Granted, it feels a little anti-climactic after both guys' NCAA careers ended on a down note, but... who's your pick?

I'm thinking RBY is better on his feet, but I still favor Spencer since I suspect he's the slightly better freestyler overall. He only needs one TD to lace RBY to a tech.  

And who are the PSU faithful rooting for? Anyone going to find it hard to root for an Iowa guy over a PSU guy?  Or does country loyalty trump all?

I've never been an Iowa fan but being a PA guy I've always had an easy time rooting for Spencer, and I always get so totally consumed rooting for the red white and blue in Olympic years that the last thing I'm thinking about is where they went to college. I'm guessing that's how most if not everyone feels, but every school has its extreme partisans, so I'm curious.

• Bob 1

If you do a search for 'rby lee' then do advanced options and select the option for 'include both' or w/e it says, you will see there are something like six pages of things where they are both talked about.  A lot of stuff, actually.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If you do a search for 'rby lee' then do advanced options and select the option for 'include both' or w/e it says, you will see there are something like six pages of things where they are both talked about.  A lot of stuff, actually.

But if you select exclude "Jimmy Cinnabon" is there anything?  🤔

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ionel 1

RBY has not looked good to me in freestyle, I think the cut is very much a thing for him. He does have a style that would on paper be bad for Spencer given his athleticism but I'm not sure if the power is there. I ultimately assume there is a reason RBY opted to represent Mexico rather than trying to make the US team and I'm guessing it was Thomas Gillman goes in the room related.

• Bob 1

21 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

RBY has not looked good to me in freestyle, I think the cut is very much a thing for him. He does have a style that would on paper be bad for Spencer given his athleticism but I'm not sure if the power is there. I ultimately assume there is a reason RBY opted to represent Mexico rather than trying to make the US team and I'm guessing it was Thomas Gillman goes in the room related.

Agreed.  Spencer too strong, combined with the cut to 57 for RBY = Spencer win

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I think this match could be highly competitive. If RBY manages his weight well, he could wrestle Lee much like Wang did. 

On the other hand, Spencer could end the match quickly or put it out of reach via par terre

To wrestle him like China did, RBY would actually have to shoot.

Check his score against their common opponent from the pan am tournaments.  Better yet, watch the match.

RBY knew where he stood vs Gilman, just like Gilman knew where he stood vs Lee.  Both got as far away as they could.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 1

RBY doesn't have a problem with guys who try to muscle him around (like ADS) but doesn't do well against length and speed (Vito, Gross). His gas tank could give Spencer some problems, but I don't believe RBY when he says his cut to 57kg is easy. He looked all right at the Pan Am OGQ but not all right enough to beat a healthy Lee. 

I'd like to preface this by saying RBY won the match 14-4 but he got takedown and turned by Kael Larudisen who was doing at grey shirt at the OTC this year. I believe Kael went 2-2 at u20's and is 18 or 19 so if he can turn RBY I feel like he cannot give spencer a single opportunity on top. Now this could be an overanalyzes by me and RBY could have just taken him lightly but just something of note.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

To wrestle him like China did, RBY would actually have to shoot.

Check his score against their common opponent from the pan am tournaments.  Better yet, watch the match.

RBY knew where he stood vs Gilman, just like Gilman knew where he stood vs Lee.  Both got as far away as they could.

I hope (and think) you're right. I did watch RBY's matches, including the 10-4 win at the Pan Am qualifier over a wrestler that Lee torched. I think Lee is the better wrestler but I also think that RBY has a bit more to give. He has the explosive speed that can give Lee fits. However, your point stands: we haven't really seen that version of RBY at 57kg, yet.

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

The reason he opted for Mexico is because he didn’t want to waste years trying to make a team , he wanted to give his Olympic dream a shot then go into fighting he has been training with Dominick Cruz for years now 

• Bob 2

7 hours ago, BAC said:

And who are the PSU faithful rooting for? Anyone going to find it hard to root for an Iowa guy over a PSU guy?  Or does country loyalty trump all?

If any USA citizen is rooting against their own country in the Olympics based on what college the athlete attended, that is really sad IMO. I would sure hope all the PSU fans will be rooting for Spencer, and I think most of them will be especially since he is from PA. But you are probably right that some will find it hard to root for him over RBY. 

• Bob 1

19 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

If any USA citizen is rooting against their own country in the Olympics based on what college the athlete attended, that is really sad IMO. I would sure hope all the PSU fans will be rooting for Spencer, and I think most of them will be especially since he is from PA. But you are probably right that some will find it hard to root for him over RBY. 

You dirty nationalist!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

So you re telling me I would’ve been wrong to root for Amine over Pat Downey at worlds a few years back? 

• Duck 1

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So you re telling me I would’ve been wrong to root for Amine over Pat Downey at worlds a few years back? 

Well I do think there’s a difference between worlds and Olympics as far as emphasis on country. But in my opinion, yes, I still think you should be rooting for the guy representing your own country at a world level competition. I wouldn’t be that upset about it at worlds (especially if you’re rooting against Downey lol), but the Olympic is all about countries competing against each other. You’ve gotta root for your home team there. Country is bigger than any one individual. 

• Bob 2